Deborah Kelly

Default Newbie question about joints

Ok I am looking to getting into woodwoorking, cruently pricing jointers.
planers, and table saws (there is a mill right down the road that I can get
mixed HW 1x6 9ft long for a buck a board) and I was just wondering if there
is a tool out there I should be looking into that makes like a tougn and
grove egdes to wood for you can join them together, or how you would go
about joing boards together to make like a table that wont have gaps.

Deborah

Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:07:13 -0600, "Deborah Kelly"
scribbled:

Ok I am looking to getting into woodwoorking, cruently pricing jointers.
planers, and table saws (there is a mill right down the road that I can get
mixed HW 1x6 9ft long for a buck a board) and I was just wondering if there
is a tool out there I should be looking into that makes like a tougn and
grove egdes to wood for you can join them together, or how you would go
about joing boards together to make like a table that wont have gaps.

No need for T&G, just properly jointed boards, edges glued to each
other. I suggest you get yourself a good book or maybe take a course.

Go to:
http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/

and click on reference books on the frame on the left. A favourite
here is Tage Frid's series.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
AAvK

Ok I am looking to getting into woodwoorking, cruently pricing jointers.
planers, and table saws (there is a mill right down the road that I can get mixed HW 1x6 9ft long for a buck a board) and I was
just wondering if there is a tool out there I should be looking into that makes like a tougn and grove egdes to wood for you can
join them together, or how you would go about joing boards together to make like a table that wont have gaps.

Deborah

Actually I would not hesitate to race to that mill and get that lumber as fast as
I could at that price... simply get there, I suggest.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Dave in Fairfax

Deborah Kelly wrote:
Ok I am looking to getting into woodwoorking, cruently pricing jointers.
planers, and table saws (there is a mill right down the road that I can get
mixed HW 1x6 9ft long for a buck a board) and I was just wondering if there
is a tool out there I should be looking into that makes like a tougn and
grove egdes to wood for you can join them together, or how you would go
about joing boards together to make like a table that wont have gaps.

You should be able to find about a zillion T&G planes up there in
Maine for very reasonable prices. That's assuming that you don't
like tailed tools. Otherwise a router is the first thing that
comes to mind. OTOH, a rubbed joint should do what you want, and
that can be done with a jointer, a jointer plane, or a router.
There are lots of ways to skin this cat, how much do you like
noise is the starting point.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Leon

"Deborah Kelly" wrote in message
Ok I am looking to getting into woodwoorking, cruently pricing jointers.
planers, and table saws (there is a mill right down the road that I can
get mixed HW 1x6 9ft long for a buck a board) and I was just wondering if
there is a tool out there I should be looking into that makes like a tougn
and grove egdes to wood for you can join them together, or how you would
go about joing boards together to make like a table that wont have gaps.

Deborah

Get the machines that you have listed and simply glue the boards up edge to
edge. No need for tongue and groove for a table top.

nospambob

I was disappointed with Tage's book #3. The books 1&2 convinced me
that #3 would be as good but it fell short for me.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:31:45 -0800, Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

[...]

AAvK

I was disappointed with Tage's book #3. The books 1&2 convinced me
that #3 would be as good but it fell short for me.

I searched for that book, least was $49.94 used and most was around $160. I
think it was recently out of print. So I am now borrowing it from the library
and scanning it. It will be a pdf soon.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

George E. Cawthon

Deborah Kelly wrote:
Ok I am looking to getting into woodwoorking, cruently pricing jointers.
planers, and table saws (there is a mill right down the road that I can get
mixed HW 1x6 9ft long for a buck a board) and I was just wondering if there
is a tool out there I should be looking into that makes like a tougn and
grove egdes to wood for you can join them together, or how you would go
about joing boards together to make like a table that wont have gaps.

Deborah

As a newby you are asking the wrong question by
focusing on tongue and groove. That type of joint
wastes too much wood, just a straight cut with
biscuits to help alignment or 1/4" grooves is both
boards with a 1/4" plywood slip saves wood and
helps alignment. There are other ways also to
help alignment.

You can get straight edges with a table saw or a
jointer (a table saw is easier). If the boards
are not warped you don't need a jointer, but you
will likely need a planer and it will certainly help.