Default Floor Drill Press - Are You Using A Base?

Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike
PDQ

Don't know about the plywood. I've got mine on wheels.

--=20

PDQ
--
=20
wrote in message =
| Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
| benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
| has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
| plywood to add stability.
|=20
| Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.
|=20
| Mike
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike

First time you clamp down that 8' long 2 x 8 to make a couple of holes near
the end, you'll understand why they made such a suggestion.

Friend of mine has his lagged onto a couple of 2 x 6's about 36" long. I
have a benchtop, but it is bolted to a cabinet top.

DL

wrote in message
Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike

Mike,

I have mine mounted to two 3/4" pieces of plywood to the Delta specification
and then they are bolted to the delta universal base. I plan to make a
outrigger bar that can be quickly bolted to the base in the event I do
something like Edwin stated. Generally it is very stable, I just would want
to place anything to heavy to make it tip either way. It's nice having it
mobile when I need to clean up or work on a larger piece.

David

Dave... I hadn't even thought about a mobile base, but might give that
some thought. I was thinking about a "sled" base. IOW, build the PW
base and then add a couple of skids, but a mobile base with locks
sounds even better.

Mike

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:08:30 -0500, "DL"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike

Mike,

I have mine mounted to two 3/4" pieces of plywood to the Delta specification
and then they are bolted to the delta universal base. I plan to make a
outrigger bar that can be quickly bolted to the base in the event I do
something like Edwin stated. Generally it is very stable, I just would want
to place anything to heavy to make it tip either way. It's nice having it
mobile when I need to clean up or work on a larger piece.

David

I mounted mine to a Rockler mobile base (clone of the delta base that
uses your own lumber pieces). I never put long pieces on the drill
press without using extra support stands and yes, I've put 64 1" holes
each in a couple of 2x6's. I used two Rockler roller ball support
stands. Stability of the drill press was no problem.

Bob

DL

wrote in message
Dave... I hadn't even thought about a mobile base, but might give that
some thought. I was thinking about a "sled" base. IOW, build the PW
base and then add a couple of skids, but a mobile base with locks
sounds even better.

Mike

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:08:30 -0500, "DL"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I can post a picture of the DP mounted on the base if you would like to see
it.

David

Sweet Sawdust

Have the 16" Grizzly and have drilled holes in the end of 10' 9/4x10"
popular using c clamp to hold to table. I have no base support added and had
no problems with tipping, won't do it again with out a support stand though.
wrote in message
Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike

rchanson

In my experience even a plywood base is not good enough to prevent a
lot of vibration. The only thing that worked for me was to bolt it to
the concrete floor. Then it was really stable. Of course the plywood or
other large base will make it safe.

David

I had it on a plywood base nearly identical in size to that suggested by
Delta. I also had it on a Delta mobile base for a while, but later
stole that for use with another piece of equipment. Now it sits on a
concrete floor with no plywood or anchors of any sort. I've had no
tipping problem. YMMV.

Dave

wrote:
Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike

George

My three kids climbed in, out, around and under mine as they grew up. Sears
floor model with no addition to the base. Of course, the base was fairly
weighty, and was designed to have three smaller "feet" for stability. One
injury caused to daughter when she attempted to stand up under the table and
took a four stitch gash to the head.

That's the key to a successful sub-base - it's got to sit stable, or be
worse than useless.

k.net...
wrote in message
Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike

Teamcasa

wrote in message
Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a
benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here
has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of
plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike

My Delta 17-968 is near a door so I decided not to bolt it to the floor or
use a piece of plywood as I'm more likely to trip on the plywood as have the
DP fall over.

If I need to drill something heavy and long, I support it carefully first.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
RonB

I have used one of the old Craftsman DPs in my shop for. I have never had a
problem. It can be a little tipsy when I try to move it but patience works.

I did build a 32" wide table for the old machine a year ago and got a little
concerned. Really hasn't been a problem though.