rhiannon

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
On 1 Apr 2005 06:38:23 -0800, "R.H." wrote:

The overall size of #313 is 3-1/4" and the "blade" (just a very thin
piece of blued steel with no teeth) is 1-1/2" long. Probably not much
use for this one today, though over 100 years ago it served a useful
purpose.

Rob

Cutter for sealing wax? heat the blade over a candle, cut a thin slice
from the stick and apply to the document and while it is still soft,
imprint it with the owners mark.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Or maybe for trimming up used candles?

Rhiannon

Erik

314) ***** B * I * N * G * O *****
I *want* that. I've wanted one since I first read about them.
It is a Curta mechanical calculator -- a wonderful example of
mechanical engineering and miniaturization. It adds, subtracts,
multiplies and divides many-digit numbers. With some tricks, it
even will do square roots. That is a *major* collector's item.

Enjoy,
DoN.

You and me both!

They get some coverage in this site...

http://www.hpmuseum.org/hpmuseum.html

Erik

Well, since we've reached the WAG stage on this one, I suggest
that it might be a tongue cleaner

It's for cleaning something, but not tongues.

Rob

Cutter for sealing wax?

This one isn't for cutting anything.

Rob

I'm thinking it's some sort of harness-maker's tool, but that's a WAG.

Nope, it's something that was used around the house.

Rob

Or maybe for trimming up used candles?

This one wasn't used on candles.

Rob

Camelshoe, Yakshoe or mother-in-law shoe remover?

It's not for any type shoe at all. :-)

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

308. Thumbscrews for interrogating geckos.
309. Cattle IUD.
310. Business end of electric circumciser machine.
311. Japanese tool for coring squids.
312. Move gravity slightly to the left.
313. That isn't even a little funny.
314. Red tape dispenser.

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:54:13 -0600, "B.B."
u wrote:

311. Japanese tool for coring squids.

Thankyou ! It now has a name 8-)

Michael Daly

On 2-Apr-2005, wrote:

Nope, it's something that was used around the house.

Cheese cutter?

Mike

R.H.

Cheese cutter?

It's not used as a cutter.

Rob

R.H.

Wick cleaner for a flat wick oil lamp?

Very close, it's for cleaning lamps, but not wick oil types.

Rob

Wood Butcher

Cleaning the slot in a gas lamp?

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
oups.com...
Wick cleaner for a flat wick oil lamp?

Very close, it's for cleaning lamps, but not wick oil types.

Rob

R.H.

Cleaning the slot in a gas lamp?

Correct! It's for cleaning the narrow flame slot in the old ceramic
burner tips in gas chandeliers.

DoN. Nichols

In article . com,
R.H. wrote:
There are a number of them for sale on ebay right now, the cheapest one
is at just less than $500 dollars.

I presume this refers to my comment about the Curtas (since you
didn't quote any of the article at all, and I just followed the thread
back).

Wanting one, and being willing to take $500 away from machine
tool or photo or computer purchases is a different thing. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Mark Shaw

In rec.puzzles Carl G. wrote:

314 Curta mechanical calculator. See:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...aman.html#strt

THANK YOU.

The Curta is mine. I have a tutorial pamphlet, but it assumes
you already know the basics of how to use the thing. This is
the first time I've seen a manual.

Now I can learn how to use it. Woo-hoo!

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
Terry Collins

Mark Shaw wrote:

Now I can learn how to use it. Woo-hoo!

Scienctific America with 2004/2005 would also be useful. They have an
article giving a very good analysis.
Wood Butcher

This site will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about
your Curta, even how to take it apart and fix it.

http://www.vcalc.net/cu.htm

Art