DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   LN Now Sells Bench Vises (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/97133-ln-now-sells-bench-vises.html)

Never Enough Money March 30th 05 02:26 PM

LN Now Sells Bench Vises

FYI - Lie-Nielsen now sell bench vises made by an old German company.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/toolcat.html?cat=17

AAvK March 31st 05 03:07 AM

FYI - Lie-Nielsen now sell bench vises made by an old German company.
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/toolcat.html?cat=17

So does Woodcraft supply, but Woodworker's supply sells some US made
bench screws and vises, made by http://www.milwmal.com/home.htm , the
same folks that make Morgan vises currently.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Never Enough Money March 31st 05 02:59 PM

Thanks. I didn't check every link on www.milwmal.com, but I didn't find
the same vises. They looked nice but I could not find a tail vise, for
example.

charlie b March 31st 05 10:48 PM

Never Enough Money wrote:

FYI - Lie-Nielsen now sell bench vises made by an old German company.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/toolcat.html?cat=17

The chain drive single handled vise looks like a PITA to
install and you can put a board between the screws. Seems
like you have to take the thing apart to get to the
chain and you can't skew the jaws if you want to. For
about $100 less I'd still go with the Veritas Twin Screw.

charlie b

AAvK April 1st 05 01:06 AM

Thanks. I didn't check every link on www.milwmal.com, but I didn't find
the same vises. They looked nice but I could not find a tail vise, for
example.

Look for "tail vise" at wws, they explain who makes them and not mentioned
on milwmal.com... on the other hand here's the link:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...9&LARGEVIEW=ON

AAvK April 1st 05 01:08 AM

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/toolcat.html?cat=17

The chain drive single handled vise looks like a PITA to
install and you can put a board between the screws. Seems
like you have to take the thing apart to get to the
chain and you can't skew the jaws if you want to. For
about $100 less I'd still go with the Veritas Twin Screw.

charlie b

It looks good, but by what you say it doesn't make sense for the money!

Never Enough Money April 1st 05 01:16 AM

Would have to compare fit and finish to decide for sure.

[email protected] April 1st 05 01:34 AM

Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to find a 1 1/4" shoulder
screw since woodcraft stopped carrying them.

What's up with the welded tail vises? Have people experienced problems
with the unwelded versions?

AAvK April 1st 05 03:21 AM

Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to find a 1 1/4" shoulder
screw since woodcraft stopped carrying them.

What's up with the welded tail vises? Have people experienced problems
with the unwelded versions?

Why not the LV Slov 1-1/8"? I got them, awesome screws.

AAvK April 1st 05 03:28 AM

Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to find a 1 1/4" shoulder
screw since woodcraft stopped carrying them.

Also, 1-1/4" is what you get with the US made ones at wws:

[email protected] April 1st 05 11:12 PM

Also, 1-1/4" is what you get with the US made ones at wws:

What is wws?

AAvK April 2nd 05 05:03 AM

What is wws?

Woodworker's supply: