Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Interious

Default Shop Fox W1677 TS

Anybody else have this saw? I've had mine for a month and have mixed
feeling about it. Going from a home-built TS, it's my first real saw
and thus luxurious in many ways.

It is tremendously satisfying to make cuts with. It was not set-up out
of the box. I was able to set the blade to .001 with respect to the
miter slot, but it's drifted to being out by about 2 mils. That *is*
after moving it miles all over the shop in a re-arranging exercise.
Forrest WWII 40T blade.

There is some cupping and dishing in the table, varying maybe +/-
..005, maybe more. Shop Fox claims the manufacturing tolerance is 20
mils, which strikes me as being way too much. The wings required
shimming and still aren't optimized. I said good enough after many
hours.

The arbor tilt and blade height adjustment do work very smoothly,
better than the Unisaw I examined.

The Biesemeyer clone fence is a mixed bag. It's a somewhat crude
affair, fabricated from essentially angle and square(?) iron stock.
Except for the lumpy HDPE fence face (to be replaced), it functions
very well, but I find myself wishing for a more refined mechanism.

I looked at the Unisaw and was mostly impressed. I wish I had the
Unifence on this saw, but I steered away from Delta because of recent
reports of QC problems. The 1677 is an attractive machine. Very solid,
heavy (I know--same as 1023), beautiful cream paint. Left-tilt 220V,
3 hp, which is waaay more than enough. Very heavy gauge metal cabinet.

I know that overall it will serve me well, but I think I wish I had
sprung for a General or Bridgewood, or something that is another notch
above this.
Dave