Anthony VanCampen

Default Wood purchase question(s)

I've got some money coming from overtime at work and I'm planning to buy
some wood, the principal idea is to do some furniture making. Craftsman /
Shaker stuff. SWMBO wants cherry, so some of the wood will be cherry, I
have access to all of the heavier milling gear, planers, jointers
dedicated RAS / Chop-saw. Away from my little shop, and plan on doing most
of the rough work ahead of time.
My question is how much of the total budget should go into sheed goods
ply, mdf etc. several of the projects that I have in mind would go better
with templates, jigs and fixtures to aid in fabrication and assembly.

Tigger
toller

"Anthony VanCampen" wrote in message
news
I've got some money coming from overtime at work and I'm planning to buy
some wood, the principal idea is to do some furniture making. Craftsman /
Shaker stuff. SWMBO wants cherry, so some of the wood will be cherry, I
have access to all of the heavier milling gear, planers, jointers
dedicated RAS / Chop-saw. Away from my little shop, and plan on doing most
of the rough work ahead of time.
My question is how much of the total budget should go into sheed goods
ply, mdf etc. several of the projects that I have in mind would go better
with templates, jigs and fixtures to aid in fabrication and assembly.

Between 11.0% and 12.2% is the normal figure, but it can easily go as high
as 13% if you use really thick jigs.
Good luck.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Anthony VanCampen" wrote in message
My question is how much of the total budget should go into sheed goods
ply, mdf etc. several of the projects that I have in mind would go better
with templates, jigs and fixtures to aid in fabrication and assembly.

Tigger

As much as you need. A 2 x 4 sheet of hardboard or 1/2" MDF is only about
$5 or so. In the whole scheme of things, that is a small price to pay for
the templates. I have some that I've used a few times already and will use
again.

I made a template for chair arms. So far I've made two benches and a lounge
chair and this year will make two, maybe four more chairs. The template has
less than $1 in material. That would be a dumb place to skimp.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:42:35 GMT, Anthony VanCampen
wrote:

My question is how much of the total budget should go into sheed goods
ply, mdf etc. several of the projects that I have in mind would go better
with templates, jigs and fixtures to aid in fabrication and assembly.

Sheet goods come from a shop, probably no more than a couple of miles
away. They're bulky to store and you can always get more if you need
them.

I like to have a sheet (as two half sheets, so I can move them in the
car) of 4mm MDF for router templates, 10mm MDF and 1/2" birch plywood
for making tool cases. Any more than that, I buy it as I need it.