Default Yet another workbench webpage

Hi,

I made a workbench. Then I made a webpage for my workbench. I'd be most
appreciative if some of you could take a look and let me know what you
think (of either the bench or the page).

http://home.comcast.net/~bmlerner/workbench.htm

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. - I'd also like to thank those of you who've answered my questions
these last few weeks. I've learned a lot here.
Patriarch

wrote in
6:

Hi,

I made a workbench. Then I made a webpage for my workbench. I'd be
most appreciative if some of you could take a look and let me know
what you think (of either the bench or the page).

http://home.comcast.net/~bmlerner/workbench.htm

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. - I'd also like to thank those of you who've answered my
questions these last few weeks. I've learned a lot here.

Is it still that clean? Mine seems to accumulate 'stuff'.

Nice work on the bench, particularly on using Grandpa's jointer to make it.
The web site is much the same: clean lines, no extra stuff.

None of this is rocket science, but I am continually surprised by how few
people just do things simply, without unneeded adornment.

Good job!

Patriarch
Emiliano Molina

Very nice bench and site.

How much woodworking experience did you have before you started the bench?
Peter Ashby

Hi,

I made a workbench. Then I made a webpage for my workbench. I'd be most
appreciative if some of you could take a look and let me know what you
think (of either the bench or the page).

http://home.comcast.net/~bmlerner/workbench.htm

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. - I'd also like to thank those of you who've answered my questions
these last few weeks. I've learned a lot here.

Nice, I especially liked your workaround on the front dog row. I also
know where you come from in planing without a bench. I built mine after
trying to plane stuff in a workmate. I have a #7 too, I used mine to
plane faces to laminate up the legs and stretchers, my top is a piece of
3/4" mdf between two 3/4" sheets of ply. I suppose I'm fortunate in
having room for an end vice, meaning I have three rows of dog holes down
the bench and a double row along the front skirt.

Peter

Emiliano Molina wrote in
:

Very nice bench and site.

How much woodworking experience did you have before you started the
bench?

Thanks.

Outside of one set of shelves I made a couple of years ago, I had really
had none until this year. I expressed an interest, so SWMBO bought me a
dovetail machine (PC 4212) for Christmas, and my parents mailed me my
grandfather's plane in January. Built two small bookshelves before the
bench.
AAvK

Hi,

I made a workbench. Then I made a webpage for my workbench. I'd be most
appreciative if some of you could take a look and let me know what you
think (of either the bench or the page).

http://home.comcast.net/~bmlerner/workbench.htm

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. - I'd also like to thank those of you who've answered my questions
these last few weeks. I've learned a lot here.

Really great work Brian, I great solution for the end vise, I never though of
that.

An idea for you to build, like your end vise shaped like an "L", another close
idea is one that is a classic shoulder vise that is held by your Wilton, it has a
bench screw going through it exactly this way in the link, As in the graphic:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...34&cat=1,41659
But it can be removed, and you can utilize your sliding dovetail to mount it.
I will make one myself and that dovetail gives me that idea, thanks.

Are you going to make a leg vise for the other front end?

Using that handplane from family is a really good value too. You should go
there and dig out as much as possible.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Conan The Librarian

Hi,

I made a workbench. Then I made a webpage for my workbench. I'd be most
appreciative if some of you could take a look and let me know what you
think (of either the bench or the page).

http://home.comcast.net/~bmlerner/workbench.htm

Nice work on both the page and the bench. I especially like your
improvised end-vise. In fact, I think I'll steal it and retrofit my
bench. :-) I currently use a planing stop that's held in my leg vise
for holding long boards, but your method would give me quite a bit more
flexibility. (You can see a pic of my bench at:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/bench03.jpg)

So it looks like the biggest lesson you learned was how much time
you could save in the long run by taking your time when doing the glueup
for the top. That was stressed to me by some wreck regulars (the late,
great Paully Rad and Bob Z) when I was making mine. As a result, I did
a full clamping dry-run, arranging boards so their grain was all in one
direction and marking them in the order they were to be assembled (with
crayon, which "lubed" the handplane when I surfaced the top).

When it came time to glueup, I added one board at a time, making
sure that one face was as close to perfectly flush as I could get it
(Bessey K-bodies are great for this). Doing it this way meant it took
me over a week to do the glueup, but I had very little trouble doing the
final surfacing and smoothing of the top. (Heck, I even used the
"wrong" plane for most if it; having just gotten a L-N #62 I was eager
to put it to work.)

But I digress. :-) Good work, and now you can take what you
learned and start planning your ultimate bench. :-)

Chuck Vance