DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Connect Unisaw to Dryer Outlet (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/95605-connect-unisaw-dryer-outlet.html)

Norman D. Crow March 19th 05 12:52 PM

"rob" wrote in message
news:tjC_d.12941$Z07.162@trnddc02...
I had a cutom 220 extension cord made to run a stream pressure washer
(kerosene powered boiler) from my dryer outlet to by back yard driveway
area. Worked great. You can buy the heavy cable and the plugs at HD or
Lowes.

He asks in all innocence . . . "What's a stream pressure washer?"

(R, D, & G)

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Norman D. Crow March 19th 05 12:59 PM

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Jerry S." wrote in message

Leon wrote:

Ugh. Where do people get this stuff from? A breaker either stays
closed or it opens. If it's closed, the circuit will deliver as much
power as the load can draw (minus resistive losses in the wiring
itself). If it opens, there's no power delivered. There is no middle
ground where the breaker is not delivering "enough power".

Hehe. My wife will turn the thermostat *way* up, so that the house will

warm
up to the desired temperature faster. I can't seem to explain that the

air
coming out of the ducts is the same temperature when she puts it at 82°

as
it is when she puts it at 72°.

Oh hell - that's nothin'. Ask anyone of us that live in cold country what
the first the wife does when she jumps into the cold car... Reaches

across
the car and turns the damn blower on full. Can't explain to her that

she's
making us colder by doing that and she has to wait for the engine to heat
up.

Now justaminnit! How many of us are married to this same woman who does this
with the house thermostat & heater blower? Mine also used to do this when we
had a "fancy" car(69 Imperial) with the thermostat controlled heater system.

Doug Miller March 19th 05 02:39 PM

In article , Richard Clements wrote:

how about the wiring in the saw?

No.

--
Regards,

Robatoy March 19th 05 05:43 PM

In article ,
WillR wrote:

Would a 2 Liter Bottle of Don Pedro Brandy be acceptable?

A recent
visitor left it here...

I know why....LOL That stuff was made to build up courage for the day
when they run the bulls.
2 Litres, no less. Don't you need a permit for that?

waitasec... you're not trying to hurt me, are you?!?!?

Richard Clements March 20th 05 03:03 AM

wrote:

how about the wiring in the saw?

No.

--
Regards,

you know that was a joke Right? just making sure

Andy Dingley March 23rd 05 10:27 PM

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

Once again: The circuit breaker is there to protect the WIRING, NOT the
appliance. The rating of the saw, etc. when stated as "Use only on 15
AMP circuit" states the MINIMUM rating for the circuit to which the saw
is connected.

That essentially the logic behind the fact you don't have any one amp
circuit breakers protecting your electric toothbrush recharger, the
nightlight in the hallway, etc.

Permit a naive question from a Brit

So what does protect the saw ? Suppose there's a bigamp circuit
feeding a circuit for the drier or the saw, and the saw only requires
littleamp current. Is there a protective device anywhere to limit
this littleamp current ? What about the 1A toothbrush ?

WillR March 23rd 05 10:31 PM

Andy Dingley wrote:
It was somewhere outside Barstow when Unquestionably Confused
wrote:
=20
=20
Once again: The circuit breaker is there to protect the WIRING, NOT th=

e=20
appliance. The rating of the saw, etc. when stated as "Use only on 15 =

AMP circuit" states the MINIMUM rating for the circuit to which the saw=

=20
is connected.

That essentially the logic behind the fact you don't have any one amp=20
circuit breakers protecting your electric toothbrush recharger, the=20
nightlight in the hallway, etc.

=20
=20
Permit a naive question from a Brit
=20
So what does protect the saw ? Suppose there's a bigamp circuit
feeding a circuit for the drier or the saw, and the saw only requires
littleamp current.=20

Is there a protective device anywhere to limit
this littleamp current ? What about the 1A toothbrush ?
=20

Not normally in the North American system...

Occasionally someone might use a power bar with a breaker, or a GFCI=20
outlet with a "breaker" or Circuit interrupter might be a better name.

It's just the way it is...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Unquestionably Confused March 24th 05 12:10 AM

wrote:

Once again: The circuit breaker is there to protect the WIRING, NOT the
appliance. The rating of the saw, etc. when stated as "Use only on 15
AMP circuit" states the MINIMUM rating for the circuit to which the saw
is connected.

That essentially the logic behind the fact you don't have any one amp
circuit breakers protecting your electric toothbrush recharger, the
nightlight in the hallway, etc.

Permit a naive question from a Brit

So what does protect the saw ? Suppose there's a bigamp circuit
feeding a circuit for the drier or the saw, and the saw only requires
littleamp current. Is there a protective device anywhere to limit
this littleamp current ? What about the 1A toothbrush ?

The device takes what it needs and no more. If it's defective it shorts
out and must be repaired or trashed. All that available current is not
going to hurt it.

Think about it for a minute in the context of your own home. You run
light bulbs on the same circuit as your television set don't you? Do you
also run a clock in the kitchen on the same circuit that you plug a
portable bread maker into? An electric frying pan? Coffee maker? What
protects them (light bulb or clock)? Nothing.

Any electrical equipment that needs current limiting provides its own.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I have a Sears Radial
Arm Saw. The motor for that saw has a reset button which provides
overload protection. Even though the circuit could provide enough
amperage to fry the wiring by overheating in a "stall" condition, the
overload sense the heat rise and shuts off power - just as a circuit
breaker does - before any damage is done. When you think about it, many
appliances or electronic devices have either a small fuse or internal
circuit breaker inside to protect them. What they are protecting the
device from is an INTERNAL fault, generally, not something in the power
feed.

I'm sure there are more learned explanations that neither you nor I
would understand but the basic is as previously stated. The circuit
breaker is there to protect the wiring so that it doesn't become a
resistance element and heat up the house by glowing cherry red within
the walls.

Andy Dingley March 24th 05 12:32 AM

wrote:

What protects them (light bulb or clock)? Nothing.

On the contrary - the UK system would give them their own 1A fuse, in
the plug.

In my house I have one style of socket, and I can use it for
everything from the 3HP cabinet saw or welder down to an unearthed
tiny-current clock. All appliances get protected appropriately.

Unquestionably Confused March 24th 05 12:44 AM

wrote:

What protects them (light bulb or clock)? Nothing.

On the contrary - the UK system would give them their own 1A fuse, in
the plug.

In my house I have one style of socket, and I can use it for
everything from the 3HP cabinet saw or welder down to an unearthed
tiny-current clock. All appliances get protected appropriately.

Ah, I see. This is that "ring" or circular scheme that you or one of
your countrymen was mentioning when this thread first started, correct?

Okay, it's a US thing then. You DO have your wiring on a circuit
breaker though, correct, it's just sitting there with, what?, 40 or 50
amps on it and heavy duty wiring to boot?

What kind of fuse do you have in the plug for your 3HP cabinet saw or
welder?

Andy Dingley March 24th 05 02:08 AM

wrote:

Ah, I see. This is that "ring" or circular scheme that you or one of
your countrymen was mentioning when this thread first started, correct?

Yes. The ring has a 32A breaker protecting it against wiring faults.
Appliances are protected by the plug fuse.

What kind of fuse do you have in the plug for your 3HP cabinet saw or
welder?

Biggest plug fuse is a 13A (for 230V), which is what the saw uses.

--
Smert' spamionam

George E. Cawthon March 24th 05 07:15 AM

wrote:

Ah, I see. This is that "ring" or circular scheme that you or one of
your countrymen was mentioning when this thread first started, correct?

Yes. The ring has a 32A breaker protecting it against wiring faults.
Appliances are protected by the plug fuse.

What kind of fuse do you have in the plug for your 3HP cabinet saw or
welder?

Biggest plug fuse is a 13A (for 230V), which is what the saw uses.

I think you are getting a lot of BS from some
people. Yes the circuit breaker protects the
wiring. And, yes, lots of appliances have a fuse
to protect the appliance. Lights, either built in
or table top types don't have fuses. Most
electronic equipment has fuses and most motors or
appliances with motors have a fuse or circuit
breaker that turns it off it the motor gets too
hot. Coffee pots and other heat devices usually
have a fuse. None of these fuses are in the plug
but in the appliance itself.

You might say that the U.S. system is less safe,
but actual fires and fire deaths in residences are
fairly low and continue to decline. Carelessness
is the major cause of fires,e.g., burning weeds
sets the house on fire or a guy falls asleep with
a cigarette. Fires from appliance failures are
relatively rare in homes.

Roy Smith March 24th 05 01:48 PM

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:
Lights, either built in or table top types don't have fuses.

I was surprised to learn recently that most incandescent bulbs are indeed
protected by internal fuses. Here's a couple of links (search for the word
"fuse" in either one).

http://www.bulbs.com/lightingguide/t...entdiagram.asp
http://members.misty.com/don/bulb1.html

LRod March 24th 05 03:18 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:15:38 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

I think you are getting a lot of BS from some
people. Yes the circuit breaker protects the
wiring. And, yes, lots of appliances have a fuse
to protect the appliance. Lights, either built in
or table top types don't have fuses.

[snippage]

I always considered a light to be a fuse in and of itself. In fact, I
recall electronic devices that actually had an incandescant bulb in
line at some point acting as a fuse.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

George E. Cawthon March 25th 05 12:33 AM

Roy Smith wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Lights, either built in or table top types don't have fuses.

I was surprised to learn recently that most incandescent bulbs are indeed
protected by internal fuses. Here's a couple of links (search for the word
"fuse" in either one).

http://www.bulbs.com/lightingguide/t...entdiagram.asp
http://members.misty.com/don/bulb1.html

Haven't convinced me. Interesting that the first
site show the construction, but doesn't show the
fuse, and then says there is a fuse. I've never
seen a regular screw in with a fuse; in fact I
have never seen any kind of incandescent bulb with
a built in fuse. In all case where the bulb
doesn't work, the element is either broken or
burned. In fact, a bulb is essentially a glowing
fuse. And, I have never seen a bulb that tripped
the line fuse/breaker. A fuse in a bulb, makes
not sense.

George E. Cawthon March 25th 05 12:37 AM

wrote:

I think you are getting a lot of BS from some
people. Yes the circuit breaker protects the
wiring. And, yes, lots of appliances have a fuse
to protect the appliance. Lights, either built in
or table top types don't have fuses.

[snippage]

I always considered a light to be a fuse in and of itself. In fact, I
recall electronic devices that actually had an incandescant bulb in
line at some point acting as a fuse.

Indeed. That's why the concept of fusing a light
or lamp bulb is rather silly.

Roy Smith March 25th 05 03:19 AM

In article ,
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Lights, either built in or table top types don't have fuses.

I was surprised to learn recently that most incandescent bulbs are indeed
protected by internal fuses. Here's a couple of links (search for the word
"fuse" in either one).

http://www.bulbs.com/lightingguide/t...entdiagram.asp
http://members.misty.com/don/bulb1.html

Haven't convinced me. Interesting that the first
site show the construction, but doesn't show the
fuse, and then says there is a fuse.

My guess is that the unlabeled arrow on the left should have said "fuse
wire" but got cropped off the image for some reason.

The text in the 2nd link above seems pretty clear -- one of the internal
wires is intentionally thinned, and this thin section acts as a fuse. It
also explains the reason why -- to protect against shorts caused by
internal arcing. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Here's another couple of URLs. The first one has a particularly clear
diagram:

http://www.goodmart.com/facts/light_...n_diagram.aspx
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/dev...ghtbulb/label/

Andy Dingley March 25th 05 04:19 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:37:28 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Indeed. That's why the concept of fusing a light
or lamp bulb is rather silly.

Lamps need fusing because they're small portable appliances whose
cables suffer a hard life from being moved around. You're not fusing
the bulb as such, you're fusing against cable chafing.

Bruce March 25th 05 11:33 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:18:20 -0700, LRod wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

I think you are getting a lot of BS from some
people. Yes the circuit breaker protects the
wiring. And, yes, lots of appliances have a fuse
to protect the appliance. Lights, either built in
or table top types don't have fuses.

[snippage]

I always considered a light to be a fuse in and of itself. In fact, I
recall electronic devices that actually had an incandescant bulb in
line at some point acting as a fuse.

Also a lamp was often in the circuit to act as a surge limiter.

-Bruce

Mark March 30th 05 02:49 AM

Typically MIG welders use a different plug,; there are about four common
types which are not interchanable with any of the myriad of standard dryer
receptacles.
Mark

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

" On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:20:11 GMT, "Jim Jacobs"
wrote:

I am currently living in a rental until our house is finished. There is
no
220 volt outlet in the garage so I can't use my saw. Not being an
electrician, can I plug it into the outlet used by the dryer? I know I
will
have to change the plug on my saw.

Dryer sockets are commonly used for many welding "buzzboxes". And they

draw
a lot more amps than most saws.

Just look on the electrical panel to make sure that you have enough amps

on
that circuit.

Mark March 30th 05 02:54 AM

Typically a dryer will draw more amperage than a table saw.
Checking the wiring is a good odea, but 8 G and 40 amps to support an
electric dryer would not be uncommon.
Since we don't know the table saw specs it makes speculation a little more
difficult. My contractors saw is 220 and draws about 12 amps over 10 gauge
with a 20 Amp breaker...more than sufficient. Even if he has 10 G wiring
and 30 amp breaker which should be minimal at best for an electric dryer,
this should support any common cabinet saw.
I have no problem wiring, but given the situation, I'd hire an electrician
to add the circuit. Chances are the panel is in or near the garage - should
be an easy run.
Mark

wrote in message
ups.com...

hylourgos wrote:
OK, let's assume you can check the wiring gauge size at the panel or

at
the outlet. If it happens to be beefy enough to handle, say, a 30A
breaker, is it then safe to switch out to that larger capacity

breaker?

H.

If you don't know, ask an electrician to look at it for you. To many
variables such as type of wire, type of insulation, length of run, etc.