njf>badger

Default best wood?

Got some nice cooking pans, but the lids knobs are cracking up and need
replacing, any recommendations for which wood would be best?

Niel.
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "njfbadger"
wrote:

Got some nice cooking pans, but the lids knobs are cracking up and need
replacing, any recommendations for which wood would be best?

Something pretty dense and not open-pored enough to absorb steam.

I'd use hornbeam, because I have two fallen trees of it, it's nice and
dense and a lovely turning wood.

In the past I've also made little drawer knobs etc. from holly, ivy or
box. For bigger pieces I've used offcuts of cherry (too small for
anything else) or sycamore. If I were American I'd probably use maple
too. I also like to turn yew, because I've always plenty of it going
spare as narrow turning blanks.

--
Smert' spamionam
dadiOH

Got some nice cooking pans, but the lids knobs are cracking up and
need replacing, any recommendations for which wood would be best?

Niel.

Lignum vitae. Hard, dense. Often used for shaft bearings in boats.

Not easy to find but available. For small pieces, check knife maker
supply places.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:38:53 +0000, "njfbadger"
wrote:

Got some nice cooking pans, but the lids knobs are cracking up and need
replacing, any recommendations for which wood would be best?

Niel.

thw wood that matches your knife handles/kitchen trim/cutting
boards/personal taste.