DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rikon 14" Bandsaw - Opinions? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/95193-rikon-14%22-bandsaw-opinions.html)

[email protected] March 14th 05 11:06 PM

Rikon 14" Bandsaw - Opinions?

Anyone here have/use a Rikon 14" Bandsaw? They have one at my local
woodcraft store and it looks nice enough for a fixed head saw, just
wondered about the real world. Is it something like a Bridgewood or a
poor man's Laguna?

BTW, I have no need/interest in 12" resaw capability.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN March 14th 05 11:25 PM

wrote:
Anyone here have/use a Rikon 14" Bandsaw? They have one at my local
woodcraft store and it looks nice enough for a fixed head saw, just
wondered about the real world. Is it something like a Bridgewood or a
poor man's Laguna?

BTW, I have no need/interest in 12" resaw capability.

That's a shame. I like my 18" Rikon.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

[email protected] March 15th 05 04:32 AM

So how about why you like the Rikon other your resaw capability?
C'mon, you gotta give me more than that :)!

How would you stack up the build quality compared to the popular
brands like Delta, Griz, Jet, and PM? Break it down to a few
highlights.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:25:41 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Mortimer Schnerd, RN March 15th 05 10:01 AM

wrote:
So how about why you like the Rikon other your resaw capability?
C'mon, you gotta give me more than that :)!

How would you stack up the build quality compared to the popular
brands like Delta, Griz, Jet, and PM? Break it down to a few
highlights.

I found it well built... solid and powerful. Changing blades is easier than
others in its class (according to Fine Woodworking... this is the only one I
ever used myself so I can't judge). Its table is larger than most others in its
class and has a good fence included. And then there's that resaw capacity...

Frankly, to beat it I think you'd have to spring for the Laguna at three times
the price.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE