NoOne N Particular

Default what wood do you prefer?

In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it
looks. I am not interested in anything else like price, or machineability,
or anything else. Just the way it looks. I know a lot has to do with the
particular style of a piece, or it's use, and many other factors. But if
you were only allowed to build from one wood for the rest of your life, what
"wood" it be?

I was wondering because often times I see things that people have made and
SOMETIMES I think, "that would look so much better made out of ..." (fill in
the blank). Of course I don't mean to denegrate anyone's work because I
know that the person made it the way THEY wanted and they are proud of it
(and rightfully so). And I know that people would think the same about some
of my projects, and that is fine too.

Personally, I tend to like like Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Maple and even Poplar.
I also tend to go with the plain-sawn look over the q-sawn. I would prefer
a nice straight grained Maple over a birds-eye or quilted. Don't know why,
just do. If I had to select one wood to build with, I think it would be
Oak. No, Walnut. Wait, no Oak was right. Ooooo, what about Mahogany?
No no no, definitely Cherry. Or Oak. Or Hickory. Or Cypress. Nope, gotta
stick with Walnut. I got it, how about Wapleoakerry (WalnutmAPLEOAKchERRY).
Anyone got any of that?

Well, It's a good thing we are not limited to a single wood.

Wayne

Duane Bozarth

NoOne N Particular wrote:

In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it
looks. ...

As w/ most hypothetical questions there is no answer in that
manner...the function of the piece dictates in many instances the proper
characteristics of the selected wood. If you limit it to one specie
only you also limit what you're able to build.
Mike in Mystic

instrument grade quilted maple

if I had to pick one

seriously, walnut, cherry and mahogany are my favorites, with QS white oak
close behind.

[...]

Lawrence L'Hote

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
. com...
Personally, I tend to like like Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Maple and even
Poplar. I also tend to go with the plain-sawn look over the q-sawn.

---snip snip-----
Well, It's a good thing we are not limited to a single wood.

I prefer wood that has been well used and discarded as trash. Hard wood
finds are a treasure but other species are acceptable.
Larry
--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

toller

If I could have only one wood it would have to be cherry. You just can't go
wrong with cherry.

But my favorite wood is butternut; I just love it. However it is too soft
and weak for a lot of applications.

Nicholas

For Joinery:

Douglas Fir

Or Pitch Pine.

For Furnitu

Ash

Or American Red Elm

--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net

--

"toller" wrote in message
If I could have only one wood it would have to be cherry. You just can't
go wrong with cherry.

But my favorite wood is butternut; I just love it. However it is too soft
and weak for a lot of applications.

Nicholas

Sorry

Didn't answer the question correctly

It'd have to be Oak. Can do both joinery and furniture nicely.

Nicholas

--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net

--

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Mar 14, 2005, 8:20pm (EST+5)
(NoOne N Particular) burbled:
snip But if you were only allowed to build from one wood for the rest
of your life, what "wood" it be? snip

Free.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

Teamcasa

"NoOne N Particular"
In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it
looks. I am not interested in anything else like price, or
machineability, or anything else. Just the way it looks. I know a lot
has to do with the particular style of a piece, or it's use, and many
other factors. But if you were only allowed to build from one wood for
the rest of your life, what "wood" it be?

Build what?
Houses - Douglas Fir.
Furniture - Mahogany
Cabinets - QS Oak
Musical Instruments - Quilted Maple
Jewelry Boxes - Birdseye Maple
Pallets - Ask Larry L'Hote

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:54:59 -0800, Teamcasa wrote:

Build what?
Houses - Douglas Fir.

Yes.

Furniture - Mahogany

Walnut.

Cabinets - QS Oak

Yes. Or cherry.

Musical Instruments - Quilted Maple

Nice look, nice tone, but lacks projection. Still hard to beat
rosewood for the reflecting surfaces, and spruce or fir for the
resonating surfaces.

Jewelry Boxes - Birdseye Maple

Anything goes. Something exotic.

Steve

Probably quilted spalted maple. Or figured koa. Or figured claro
walnut. Birdseye maple maybe. There are others. I can't make up my
mind--it changes from one day to the next.

So may woods! So little time!

--Steve

NoOne N Particular wrote:

In answering this question, think of nothing else other than
the way it looks.

Jerry

Love Cherry but hate the price. I can't stand oak -- it's been way
overdone and now I associate it with cheap furniture. Cherry is so
expensive as it is in high demand -- maybe in 10 years I'll hate cherry
as it will be overdone and associated with cheap furniture....

I like mahogany but some associate it with furniture from the 50's.

I associate maple with production furniture which has been sprayed with
a quick tinted lacquer finish.

NoOne N Particular wrote:
[...]

Phisherman

I will settle for wood under $5 BF. I probably use less cherry for
that reason, working with more oak and maple now, sometimes pine. I
wil use more expensive wood for smaller projects. Recently I built
some kitchen woodenware from some applewood.
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:
I will settle for wood under $5 BF. I probably use less cherry for
that reason, working with more oak and maple now, sometimes pine. I
wil use more expensive wood for smaller projects. Recently I built
some kitchen woodenware from some applewood.

Cherry. And I usually get it for under $3/BF...

If I had to settle for one species, that'd be it. I like to look and
I like how it works and finishes.

I just don't like oak, especially red oak. Maple doesn't suck, nor
do ash or persimmon. I'm not into exotics...

yours,
Michael
| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/
O D

Padauk!!

Mike

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:20:08 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"
wrote:

In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it
looks. I am not interested in anything else like price, or machineability,

I love the look of hickory but would rather shoot a nail in my
forehead than work with it.

Mike O.
Tim Douglass

wrote:

In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it
looks. I am not interested in anything else like price, or machineability,
or anything else. Just the way it looks. I know a lot has to do with the
particular style of a piece, or it's use, and many other factors. But if
you were only allowed to build from one wood for the rest of your life, what
"wood" it be?

If I just answer "maple" it can be stretched to include hard and soft,
straight grain, birds-eye, quilted and fiddleback. I think that would
give me pretty good coverage while sticking with just "one" wood.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Patriarch

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in
. com:

Were you the fellow who asked about the hamburger sandwich last week?
Mike Richardson

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
. com...
In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way it
looks. I am not interested in anything else like price, or

machineability,
or anything else. Just the way it looks. I know a lot has to do with the
particular style of a piece, or it's use, and many other factors. But if
you were only allowed to build from one wood for the rest of your life,

what
"wood" it be?

Well, for the purpose of " ooooaaaah " Widgee, followed by Gidgee. VERY
beautiful for fine work, boxes, even made some filing trays out of it. Very
very pretty wood and works well.

Mike

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
NoOne N Particular wrote:
[...]

In dark woods, I like Mahogany, and Walnut, in that order.
In light woods, Maple, birch, ash.
Redwood for some (mostly outdoor) stuff.

Personally, I'm underwhelmed by oak, pine (and cousins), and cherry.
Todd the wood junkie

If only one wood was available, life would be damn depressing. I'd be
like an artist being asked which color/brush would he pick for the rest
of his life(that'd be the last straw before downing the bottle of
sleeping pills).

I really like honey-locust. It's harder than oak, has beautiful
figure and color, and is available here in ohiya almost anywhere you
go.

See for yourself:

http://www.gocleansweep.com/honeylocust/100_1157.JPG

That said, I would probably shoot myself after the 10th project.

dadiOH

NoOne N Particular wrote:
In answering this question, think of nothing else other than the way
it looks. But if you were only allowed to build from one
wood for the rest of your life, what "wood" it be?

Walnut or koa. Teak, mahogany and the rosewoods are nice too.

What it *wouldn't* be is oak. Now, I like oak - especially white - for
its features but I roundly dislike its appearance...too coarse.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

mac davis

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:20:08 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"
wrote:

While everyone likes the "walnut" look, my favorite is oak or ash.. that light,
clear or blond look with the straight grain just sort of calls to me..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Silvan

NoOne N Particular wrote:

you were only allowed to build from one wood for the rest of your life,
what "wood" it be?

Everything else aside, it'd be rosewood I think. In terms of woods I can
actually obtain, it has to be walnut hands down.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
charlie b

Mahogany. Works extremely easily with sharp hand tools
(pares beautifullly!) and/or sharp power tools, looks
wonderful and warm when finished - truly The King of
Woods. Must've been a joy to work with Cuban mahogany.

charlie b
(who, as a kid, could buy a dugout canoe (actually called
a cayuco) in mahogany for a buck a foot. That's 20-22"
wide, 14 - 18 inches deep - with 3/4 inch hull thickness.
Was great growing up in the Panama Canal Zone - now
just Panama. They made houses out of mahogany!)