Allen

Default Sharpening question

All,
FINALLY broke down and changed the knives on my Dewalt planer today with
the spare set that came with it. Figured it''s time as I'm about to do
the final planing on some cherry and maple shelves. It's amazing how
big a difference it made in noise and quality of cut. That dulling thing
just kinda sneaks up on you. The manual says these should be sharpened
at 42 degrees and there's an 1/8" of room for honing. That being said I
realized that my large handsaw needs sharpened and it wouldn't hurt to
have the Freud blade on the TS done. I roamed about the Freud website
and didn't see anything about sharpening so I'm hoping this could be
done locally. In the meantime it seems a good reason to buy a Forrest so
I have a spare.

Now. As I'm in SW Baltimore I see Martello Knife service in Halethorpe
under sharpening in the yellow pages. Anyone ever dealt with them or
have any other suggestions in the Baltimore area for sharpening services?

Thanks much

Allen
Catonsville, MD
Nicky

Maybe not the answer your looking for but I posed a similar question about
sharpening services and was given
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/html/sharpening.htm . I sent 5 Freud blades,
came back 10 days later. I've used 2 of the blades so far, and they did an
awesome job. I needed to rip some 6/4 maple today and used the newly
sharpened rip blade, and was very impressed. I also needed the combo blade
for ply, again, excellent job.

I'm going to send my planer knives this week.

"Allen" wrote in message
[...]

Allen Epps

In article , Nicky
wrote:

Maybe not the answer your looking for but I posed a similar question about
sharpening services and was given
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/html/sharpening.htm . I sent 5 Freud blades,
came back 10 days later. I've used 2 of the blades so far, and they did an
awesome job. I needed to rip some 6/4 maple today and used the newly
sharpened rip blade, and was very impressed. I also needed the combo blade
for ply, again, excellent job.

I'm going to send my planer knives this week.

How much did five blades run money wise?

Allen
Allen Epps

In article , Nicky
wrote:

Maybe not the answer your looking for but I posed a similar question about
sharpening services and was given
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/html/sharpening.htm . I sent 5 Freud blades,
came back 10 days later. I've used 2 of the blades so far, and they did an
awesome job. I needed to rip some 6/4 maple today and used the newly
sharpened rip blade, and was very impressed. I also needed the combo blade
for ply, again, excellent job.

I'm going to send my planer knives this week.

Disregard! I'll just page to the bottom of the page. Missed that.

Gotta wonder why I have a 20" monitor and don't use all of it.

Allen
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Allen
wrote:

That dulling thing just kinda sneaks up on you.

It certainly does !

Every time you have "a problem with the feed rollers", try changing
the knives. Certainly on my thicknesser, it keeps cutting fine with
very blunt knives, but you have to shove the board through it by hand.