foggytown

Default Finish applicators

I'm thinking of trying foam applicators instead of brushes for
staining. My impression is that they are good to use with finishes
that will be wiped off the surface of the wood before they dry. But
for finish coats of urethane or paint, etc. am I correct in my
understanding that brushes are still the preferred method of
application?

FoggyTown

David

Staining: I prefer to use rags to brushes because I can more easily
control the amount of stain (wasting less stain, that ends up getting
wiped off anyway).

Top coats: I prefer to use HVLP except for shellac. For shellac it's
back to the rags.

Others will differ in their opinions on finishing techniques.

Dave

foggytown wrote:
I'm thinking of trying foam applicators instead of brushes for
staining. My impression is that they are good to use with finishes
that will be wiped off the surface of the wood before they dry. But
for finish coats of urethane or paint, etc. am I correct in my
understanding that brushes are still the preferred method of
application?

FoggyTown

David

Oh, one other thing I should mention: if you are out of matches and need
to start a fire, just leave a solvent based stain-soaked rag balled up
and lying in the sun. You'll have a nice little fire going in no time!
DAMHIKT.

Dave