User

Default Brand Loyalty?

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Leon

"User" wrote in message
How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working
in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a
brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Brand loyalty means easy profits for the company you choose. Brand loyalty
means that you do not research your purchases enough.

Jim Behning

I have Powermatic, Delta, Dewalt, Hobart, Honda, Porter-Cable, Jet
Rockwell, Makita, Black and Decker, Craftsman, SK, Mac, Paslode, Senco
and some other stuff if I think harder. I do like Bosch, older
Delta/Rockwell and Powermatic.

I do have a bit of a positive emotional response using my Bosch 1581VS
jigsaw. I think I have liked every Bosch tool I have used. Routers,
sanders and saws.

No Ryobi.

I have more tools than I need. My wants are a different issue. My
tools are sometimes thoughtful purchase but also bottom feeding. I
have a bunch of stuff from a going out of business sale. I have some
Delta/Rockwell tools from the 80's that were in a storage shed. My
friend worked for an industrial design firm and they were doing some
stuff after Rockwell became Delta. I think that was a trip and a half
in the back of the Toyota. I like sales so that sometimes influences
purchases as long as the tool meets some need.

"User" wrote:

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Edwin Pawlowski

"User" wrote in message

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

My loyalty is to myself. While good brands tend to be good brands on all
tools, there is always an exception or feature that will make another seem
better for my use.

My favorite suppliers a
Lee Valley
Coastal Tool
I try to buy from them because of the good service and prices, but others
may have what I need when I need it.

I probably have a tool from most every major maker. I have a Bosch router on
my bench, but I'm sure I'd be happy with a PC, Milwaukee, or a few others.
At the time the Bosch was on sale. I have a PC brand nailer and compressor
because it was a good value, but when I wanted a staple gun, I went with
Bostitch. I have at least three Delta and DeWalt tools, one Jet, my planes
are Stanley (should have spent more for a Veritas), Veritas, Knight. one
Ridged, one Panasonic, two Ryobi (there will never be a third).

Router bits I have Lee Valley, Whiteside, Jesada, Freud, Woodcraft (the $5
ones), Infinity.

Saw Blades: Delta (came with the saw) , Ridge Carbide (a 40T combo and a
dado) Freud Diablo, DW that came with the miter saw.

And the list goes on.

Bill Otten

Nope. My shop is a mix of Jet, Grizzly, Craftsman, Delta, Dewalt,
Black&Decker, and Bosch. I read the reviews on each piece of equipment I'm
considering, I read the boards and forums, epinions.com, check the magazine
reviews, then consider cost vs features to get the best return on
investment. No buyers remorse, and I think I have a pretty well equipped
shop.

bill

"User" wrote in message
How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working
in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a
brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

I think I try to buy the best tool for the buck on whatever tool I'm
looking at, but I happened to notice the other day that I'm getting a
lot of black plastic Porter Cable boxes laying about the shop. I also
have Dewalt, Grizzly, Craftsman and Delta tools, but there's definitely
a proliferation of PC tools.

I think it's just coincidence.

-Phil Crow

Richard Cline

In article QMOWd.590205$6l.564988@pd7tw2no, "User"
wrote:

I have a mix of many brands with no particular layalty to any. However,
I have been burned by a couple brands and I avoid their products.

Dick

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Nicky

I own stuff from lots of manufactures, but I'm partial to Delta, Bosch and
Milwaukee and Freud. What this means to me is that these are the brand I'll
look at first. But many things factor into a final decision, features,
quality, price.

I've needed to replace/install 15 door thresholds in my home. I made them
from wood, and needed to drill through concrete for anchors to install the
thresholds. I have two cordless drills, that just won't do it (not the right
tool for the job). I went shopping for a hammer drill, looked at a Bosch and
a Milwaukee, brought home a Hitachi for about 1/3 the price. Did exactly
what I wanted, don't know if I'll ever need it again. If this is something
that I would use often, that may have changed my decision (although the
Hitachi was impressive, and on sale for $59.99 at the borg)

"User" wrote in message
How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working

in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a

brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Nate Perkins

"User" wrote in news:QMOWd.590205$6l.564988@pd7tw2no:

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

No, I've got a hodgepodge of different tools. Dewalt, Jet, Grizzly,
Sunhill, Delta. I'll never buy anything by Ryobi again.

I do have loyalty to certain suppliers. If the item's obtainable locally
and isn't at too high a premium, I'll buy locally. Otherwise if it's mail
order I try to buy from Lee Valley or Highland Hardware.

Bernoulli

The pros I go to for advise (shipwrights) believe that certain
companies do a better job than others for a particular type of tool -
Milwaukee for drills, PC for routers, etc. I want the best tool so I
take their advise. Brand loyalty doesn't make much sense to me.

Jim

It's been my experience that almost any company can make a good tool
once, but just because they did doesn't mean you should trust them a
few years later. They seem to go in cycles. Black & Decker is one
example. My old SawCat circular saw is great. It was the 'Pro' or
'Contractor' grade at one point. Then anything under a B&D label
became consumer quality & Dewalt became the contractor quality. I
still have a deck screw gun (1/2 the rpms, twice the torque of the
drywall screwgun.) that is just wonderful. I've heard Dewalt isn't so
hot anymore, but haven't looked into it.

I try to research every tool & buy from the company that meets my
needs. Sometimes I don't have the budget, other times I want top
quality no matter what the cost.

Other times it's design that drives me - or should. I have a Porter
Cable jig saw that is perfect except for one defect - it tends to blow
the sawdust right at my face. A friend's jigsaw, similar in design
blows it to the right of the saw - away from my face. Live & learn.

Jim

Unisaw A100

I tend to stick with the Vintage brand.

UA100
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

User wrote:
I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Nope. The recommendations of other woodworkers and magazines such as Fine
Woodworking mean a lot more. I've got Delta, Ridgid, Rikon, Milwaukee, Penn
State, JDS, and Porter Cable all well represented. With the exception of the
air handling stuff, I've got multiple tools from the different manufacturers
I've listed. I don't just buy what they have on the shelf as a matter of
expediency. I tend to go after specific models that I've read about.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Bernoulli wrote:
The pros I go to for advise (shipwrights) believe that certain
companies do a better job than others for a particular type of tool -
Milwaukee for drills, PC for routers, etc. I want the best tool so I
take their advise. Brand loyalty doesn't make much sense to me.

I'd advise you to take their advice.

The Spelling Police

B a r r y

Leon wrote:

Brand loyalty means easy profits for the company you choose. Brand loyalty
means that you do not research your purchases enough.

What he said.

Barry

Don

With my battery operated tools i tend to buy the same yellow 18v tools just
so Im not playing with several different battery chargers and batteries.
Anyone else find themselves doing this?

"User" wrote in message
How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working
in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a
brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Robert Bonomi

In article QMOWd.590205$6l.564988@pd7tw2no, User wrote:
How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

"_All_else_ being equal", I'll make the buying decision based on brand-name.
(Previous good experience with the brand (or manufacturer support) gets an
up-check. Previous bad experience gets a down-check.)

Note: It is *rare* that "all else" =is= equal; thus rarely is "brand" the
_determining_ factor in my purchases.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:13:04 GMT, the inscrutable "User"
spake:

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Sometimes. I have 5 Grizzly tools. Two I bought new (bandsaw and DC)
because they were the best price/performance. I received their little
trim router as a gift for that purchase. After seeing them and finding
quality, the next purchases were a used Griz planer and the new Shop
Fox mortiser. I haven't been let down at all.

I also have Makita, Skil, B&D, Crapsman, Chiwanese Generic, Porter
Cable, and Harbor Freight corded and cordless tools.

Other than a very high respect and penchant for Grizzly, I don't have
any brand loyalties. The many complaints from Jet and Delta owners
here weaned me from considering or getting attached to those
companies. The merger news (for several sets of companies in the past
decade) was horrid and customer service suffered for everyone.
Happily, none of my tools (purchasing or owned) was affected.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:48:04 GMT, the inscrutable "Mortimer Schnerd,
RN" spake:

Bernoulli wrote:
The pros I go to for advise (shipwrights) believe that certain
companies do a better job than others for a particular type of tool -
Milwaukee for drills, PC for routers, etc. I want the best tool so I
take their advise. Brand loyalty doesn't make much sense to me.

cringe

I'd advise you to take their advice.

The Spelling Police

You took the words right out of my mouth, Morty.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming
Phisherman

I got fed up with batteries over five years ago. These
battery-operated tools don't have the lasting power and the batteries
don't seem to hold up after numerous recharges. I now use only corded
tools, mostly Milwaukee, Makita, PC, and DeWalt. With lots of
electrical outlets in my shop, a cord is no problem. Plus, I bought a
heavy duty 100 foot cord for backyard use of power tools.

"User" wrote in message
How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working
in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a
brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Leon

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I got fed up with batteries over five years ago. These
battery-operated tools don't have the lasting power and the batteries
don't seem to hold up after numerous recharges. I now use only corded
tools, mostly Milwaukee, Makita, PC, and DeWalt. With lots of
electrical outlets in my shop, a cord is no problem. Plus, I bought a
heavy duty 100 foot cord for backyard use of power tools.

I'd be with you if only the corded drills had clutch settings and
electronic brakes. IMHO the drill is the only type tool that has any
advantage being cordless in a shop.

mac davis

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:13:04 GMT, "User" wrote:

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

The only time I had "brand loyalty" was when I was buying mostly Craftsman
tools... and that was because my neighbor got a 25% employee discount..

I doubt that any company has the "best" tool for all uses.. case in point would
be the HF dust collector, which is highly recommended on the wRECk, but who
recommends their table saw or their planers?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
San Diego Joe

"User" wrote:

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

I see a lot of PC in my place. It's not on purpose though. My first couple
of pieces were PC. When I would go to buy a new tool, having had a good
experience with PC, if the reviews of the PC were about as good I would tend
to buy it.

--
San Diego Joe

Allen

In article 1110216657.b9d9e8ed53b2c026c892468fbe8a2265@teran ews,
San Diego Joe wrote:

"User" wrote:

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

I see a lot of PC in my place. It's not on purpose though. My first couple
of pieces were PC. When I would go to buy a new tool, having had a good
experience with PC, if the reviews of the PC were about as good I would tend
to buy it.

I've been a bit biased towards DeWalt for my cordless stuff simply
because I've ended up with a bunch of interchangable batteries. Other
than that I have a real mix of stuff.

Allen
Robatoy

wrote:

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

I might consider brand loyalty as long as I see loyalty from the brand
as well, without trying to screw me out of my money by trying to sell me
a piece of crap from an off-shore factory under their brand name. (How's
that for a run-on sentence?)
The infamous Porter Cable profile sander comes to mind.

Most of my hand operated powertools are Milwaukee. They have yet to
steer me wrong. PC lost a lot of browny points over the years.

One big loyalty from me is Apple. Even though they did their best to
make me drop them, the fabulous software from vendors like Adobe kept me
hanging in. It was worth it. No regrets.

Tim Hortons

Contax cameras and Zeiss optics.

Nikon digital.

Epson printers.

Sony televisions.

Nagra

Bruel & Kjaer

I could go on.

Toblerone

Glen Livet

Wusthoff

Haynes

Birkenstock

Rigor

Levi Strauss

Rolex

etc.

etc.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I tend to stick with the Vintage brand.

UA100

Yep there's something special about old arn - I've been on a search for
quite some time for something very special though apparently very, very
elusive. I've been having a hell of a time finding any vintage dust
collectors - I pitchur something with a cast iron stand and old
watermelon-size motor. None seem to be available - guess they must be
hoarded by those lucky enough to own one. I'll keep lookin' tho.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Teamcasa

Nope - I tend to just the best tool for the job. Before buying any
particular tool, ask or look to see what to the professionals use in that
application.
For example, I would not normally consider Skil a brand name worth using.
However, the Skilsaw Mag77 is the best framing saw made. It's the saw of
choice for framers (West Coast USA).

The sting of price is brief, the pain from a cheap tool lasts considerable
longer.

Dave
An unmitigated tool junkie.

http://www.usenet.com
Unisaw A100

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
Yep there's something special about old arn - I've been on a search for
quite some time for something very special though apparently very, very
elusive. I've been having a hell of a time finding any vintage dust
collectors - I pitchur something with a cast iron stand and old
watermelon-size motor. None seem to be available - guess they must be
hoarded by those lucky enough to own one. I'll keep lookin' tho.

I've got one Owen but it's strictly a show
piece/conversation piece.

No really.

UA100
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I've got one Owen but it's strictly a show
piece/conversation piece.

Jpegs please.

Um, pretty please with two cherries on top?

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
____

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Thomas D. Ireland

I was considering a Mag77 for the longest time but finally bought a
Craftsman 12A w/Laser Track. The 77 is one hell of a good saw but it was
5x as much as a standard saw. The selling point was the Laser Track. When
doing plywood for a roofing job I found that cutting the plywood required
being up on top of the plywood sheet at all times to keep the saw cutting
along the chalk line. The laser made the job much easier. I might still
get a Mag77 if I can justify the price. I still think is top of the line.

My 2c
Tom

Teamcasa ) wrote:
: Nope - I tend to just the best tool for the job. Before buying any
: particular tool, ask or look to see what to the professionals use in that
: application.
: For example, I would not normally consider Skil a brand name worth using.
: However, the Skilsaw Mag77 is the best framing saw made. It's the saw of
: choice for framers (West Coast USA).

: The sting of price is brief, the pain from a cheap tool lasts considerable
: longer.

: Dave
: An unmitigated tool junkie.

: Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
: ----------------------------------------------------------
: ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
: ----------------------------------------------------------
: http://www.usenet.com

I buy whatever seems to best fit my needs (short vs med vs long term)
at the time at the best cost to benefit ratio. That usually means
posting here, reading your feedback, checking 2 or 3 magazine reviews,
kicking the tires. I like to take the mag reviews, and your 2 cents,
and with the tool in-hand (at a WW show, store, etc) apply my tests.
Can I substantiate the pros/cons another has noted? Are they
applicable to my needs? Do I care about functionality X? Will I care
in 6-12 months? At what cost?

I'm stilling trying to find a Ryobi OSS500 to test ;-) Looks like I
missed that one. Ah well, they'll be another.

Ah, yes, and then in a few years it all changes..

I dumped my 8.5" Hitachi SCMS for a 12" dual bevel Dewalt CMS because
of bench space!!!! Go figure, benchtop space!!! But I got the CMS for
$200 at a WW show for a refurb.

But I'm still happy with my "Made in the USA" Delta contractor saw.
Yeah, it's 1.5hp. But I don't cut 3" hard maple, and the blade has
never even come close to getting bogged down. And I can waste all
kinds of time "tuning it" ;-)

I do consider the brand. If price and functionality is close, I'd
chose a "better" brand. I have a Craftsman 14.4V cordless drill, the
EX model, that I got for $69. No complaints. I could have paid 2x or
3x more for a "better" brand, but I'm pretty sure I'd not have gotten
the same value.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:13:04 GMT, "User" wrote:

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Prometheus

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:13:04 GMT, "User" wrote:

How many of you guys tend to only buy one particular brand? I was working in
my shop today and was looking at all of the different tools brands I have.
Milwaukee, Delta, Makita, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, Hitachi, Mastercraft(a brand
from a chain called Canadian Tire for our american neibours), Black and
Decker and one or two no-name chinese made tools like my metal cutting
bandsaw I bought for 200 bucks.

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

It has to me in the past- I've got all DeWalt for my framing and
general carpentry tools (and I'm still very happy with those) and
Delta for my stationary power tools. Unfortunately, the last few
Delta purchases I've made have been a little less than impressive, and
the customer service seems to have slid a little since they merged
with Porter-Cable, so I'm considering looking around a bit more, and
finding a new brand for my shop.

So the short answer is yes, brand loyalty means something to me- as
long as the quality is there. When the brand goes downhill, it's time
for me to bail out.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Noons

User apparently said,on my timestamp of 7/03/2005 1:13 PM:

I try to spread my tool buying dollar around. Does brand loyalty mean
anything to you?

Means nothing, really. One year some brand might be better and
popular and then they get an accountant to run the show, convinced
that they now own the world. Then things start to go downhill.

Much better to buy the best at the moment of the purchase.

Most of my power tools are either Bosch, Metabo or Makita.
Mostly because they had what I considered the best at the
time of the purchase, for the price I was willing to pay.

That could change quickly. Have quite a few other Taiwanese
and Chinese tools as well. If they have a good product with
reasonable quality control, then there is no reason not to get it.

Quality varies so much nowadays depending on management fads
and trends, it's not worth following a single brand.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
Pat Barber

Just to "clarify" :

Delta "did not" merge with Porter Cable.

They are two seperate companies.

They are both owned by a single parent company
known as Pentair, which just sold both companies
to Black & Decker, who owns many other companies
including Dewalt.

Prometheus wrote:

It has to me in the past- I've got all DeWalt for my framing and
general carpentry tools (and I'm still very happy with those) and
Delta for my stationary power tools. Unfortunately, the last few
Delta purchases I've made have been a little less than impressive, and
the customer service seems to have slid a little since they merged
with Porter-Cable, so I'm considering looking around a bit more, and
finding a new brand for my shop.

Unisaw A-100

Pat Barber wrote:
Just to "clarify" :

Delta "did not" merge with Porter Cable.

It should also be noted that the "merger" took place in
1960.

UA100

Duane Bozarth

Unisaw A-100 wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
Just to "clarify" :

Delta "did not" merge with Porter Cable.

It should also be noted that the "merger" took place in
1960.

Interesting though that the last time I called Delta support 800-number
the operator answered w/ "Porter Cable/Delta" which had never happened
to me before--it had been within the year I think to last previous
time...don't know what precipitated the change or whether it was an
aberration????
Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Unisaw A-100 wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
Just to "clarify" :

Delta "did not" merge with Porter Cable.

It should also be noted that the "merger" took place in
1960.

Interesting though that the last time I called Delta support 800-number
the operator answered w/ "Porter Cable/Delta" which had never happened
to me before--it had been within the year I think to last previous
time...don't know what precipitated the change or whether it was an
aberration????

They may not have merged, but both companies were both by the same parent
company giving the same result as them merging.

Duane Bozarth

Unisaw A-100 wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
Just to "clarify" :

Delta "did not" merge with Porter Cable.

It should also be noted that the "merger" took place in
1960.

Interesting though that the last time I called Delta support 800-number
the operator answered w/ "Porter Cable/Delta" which had never happened
to me before--it had been within the year I think to last previous
time...don't know what precipitated the change or whether it was an
aberration????

They may not have merged, but both companies were both by the same parent
company giving the same result as them merging.

I was just commenting that something has changed relatively
recently...somebody made a decision to emphasize the Porter Cable over
Delta, even answering the Delta 800 support line...
Pat Barber

The regional support centers were rolled together to
handle customer issues. These offices handle broken
parts,repairs,etc,etc. It actually made sense to "merge"
that function but it proved painful in some cases.

You ended up with folks who were 100% on PC products
attempting to answer Delta related questions. The same
was true of Delta folks trying the reverse of that.

This resulted in a lot of pain and suffering on the
part of the customer. It's better but not 100% fixed.

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Interesting though that the last time I called Delta support 800-number
the operator answered w/ "Porter Cable/Delta" which had never happened
to me before--it had been within the year I think to last previous
time...don't know what precipitated the change or whether it was an
aberration????

Duane Bozarth

Pat Barber wrote:

The regional support centers were rolled together to
handle customer issues. These offices handle broken
parts,repairs,etc,etc. It actually made sense to "merge"
that function but it proved painful in some cases.

I phoned into the same old central Delta technical support service -- no
problem getting to Delta engineering support, just the initial phone
response before the transfer was answered w/ the lead-in of "P C" as
opposed to the former Delta