greymoowcow

Default Best place to get free/buy wood

Hi guys,
Myself and my fiance have just bought a new house in the south eastern
suburbs of melbourne, australia and we are finding wood is very expensive
to buy in the city. Can anyone recommend where we can get a decent price
or the best forests to get a permit at to collect the wood ourselves for
next winter?
Cheers and beers,
Moo.

Will

Well there are a few places - just north of Minden -- perhaps near
Haliburton. Hmmmm

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
mansfieldman

Are you looking for Wood to buy for woodwork or Burning.?

For Wood to fuel a combustion stove, head out to the Yarra valley and watch
local papers to buy it from garden shops ect. Last years price was $90 per
cubic metre, and the average home uses about 5 - 7 metres per winter.

If you want to collect your own, The Mansfield shire issues one day permits
for wood collection of fallen trees. Head out with 4WD, Trailer, Chainsaw
and Splitter, a
good days work can get quite a good load.

I did this once. Now I just Buy it.

Buy early in the season as it gets scarce if the winters long and cold.

Also some northern Victorian Sawmils sell chunks of Redgum sawn offcuts.. I
found them fantastic and easy to store, with a great heat output.

PS Grey Box will burn alot hotter than Yellow Box, Be sure your furnace can
take the heat.

lkaboutcrafting.com...