R.H.

Default What is it? LI

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Lane

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

284, A piece of mountain climbing equipment. Cams lock into a crack and
attach ropes to it. Sorry I don't know the official name.

285, some kind of airfoil, spoiler, tv antenna for a vehicle?

289, a 45 RPM record adapter for a record player spindle.

Steve Decker

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

284 Looks like some kind of escapement
285 Foam Glider
286 Soda Machine Key?
287 ??
288 light meter
289 45 rpm record spindle
Peter Morris

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

285 computer-designed boomerang ?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

284) ???? Interesting, but I'm not sure what it is.

It looks as though it is intended to provide directional grip on
something or other.

285) Spoiler designed to deflect bugs from the windshield, perhaps?
If so -- it would probably mount at the front of the hood (or
bonnet for the UK readers).

286) Some sort of removable crank. It looks as though it can be
set straight, and fed through a tube, with a notch in the end
of the tube to engage the cross pins, and then the crank folded
to allow operation.

287) Slides over a projecting head (as of a screw or a rivet), and
serves to hang a load from with a clip. Perhaps from some
military belt of some period, though that is just a guess.

288) A *really* old photographic exposure meter. A step up from
the optical ones, where you look in through an eyepiece and the
dimmest number you can read is your exposure. This one at least
appears to be photovoltaic.

It also appears to be marked in two systems of film sensitivity.
One is the DIN (German), and the other I would expect to be
ASA, but the marking does not seem to say that. I can't make it
out -- too pixelated by the JPEG compression.

It may be contemporary with the shutter/iris assembly which you
had up recently.

289) A 45-RPM spindle adaptor -- made by "Voice of Music" (see the
"VM" logo on the end.) It is intended for use on a record
changer.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Scott Lurndal

#289 A 45RPM adapter spindle for a multiplatter LP turntable.
Probably a motorola.
#288 Light meter for camera.
#286 Looks like a starter handle for an old tractor, but too small.
#284 Must have something to do with bicycles.
Erik

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Isn't 286 one of those wire hose clamp tools?

Erik
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Lane" lane (no spam) at
copperaccents dot com wrote:

284, A piece of mountain climbing equipment. Cams lock into a crack and
attach ropes to it. Sorry I don't know the official name.

A "Friend". This one's actually a "Flexible Friend", because it has a
cable body, not a rigid body. May be a rip-off copy, as many of
them are.

287 Bed key ?

288 Photographer's lightmeter
Tim Mullen

In "R.H." writes:

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

286: Elevator key. You insert this tool into the round hole
at the top of the outer door(s). Twisting the tool will
unlatch the door.

(posting from rec.antiques)

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
rhiannon

"Peter Morris" nospam.ple@se wrote in message
. uk...

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

285 computer-designed boomerang ?

287--fireplace damper wrench?

Bruce

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:16:21 -0700, Steve Decker wrote
(in article ):

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

284 Cam lock (climbing equip.)
288. Old exposure meter.

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

284. A "Friend". Rockclimbing gadget. The toothed wheels cam out when
placed in a crack to provide a tie-off point.
285. Stealth boomerang
286. I'll have to pass on this one.
287. No clue
288. Ancient voltmeter
289. Storage canister for checkers

rec.crafts.metalworking
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

284. Rock anchor. For parking rock boats. At rock concerts.
285. Breast Implant for Boomerangs.
286. Elevator Molester Schwing-Weenie!
287. 1890's Clutch Adjustment tool.
288. Wave a baby over it and it'll tell you how fat the kid will get.
289. Can of Whoopass. Do not open!

Posting from Earth. Or close to it.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Brian Lawson

Hey Rob,

Number 286 is a "broken knuckle key" for unlocking the hall doors on
certain types of elevators, generally to gain access to the car top
for servicing.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:55:08 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

bkr

R.H. wrote:

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

284. Spring loaded camming device used for rock climbing...specifically
it looks like a metollius.

285. Homemade boomerang?

286. Looks like a key/turning arm for and extendable awning

287. blackjack? probably not...

288. Looks like a compass for surveying possibly?

289. Lipstick case or stamp of some kind.

bkr
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I'll guess my perennial "elevator shaft key" for 286, but I don't
really believe it.

I know how 287 is supposed to work, but not why or what for.

288 is a bit of photo equipment, best guess would be a fancy light
meter.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Rob,

Number 286 is a "broken knuckle key" for unlocking the hall doors on
certain types of elevators, generally to gain access to the car top
for servicing.

ROTFL. I've posted "elevator shaft key" for a number of gadgets
(including this one), most of which I had more confidence than the
current one. It's always been wrong. A lot of people are guessng it
for this one... maybe it's finally right.

result in a fully-depreciated one.

Jeff Wisnia

R.H. wrote:

Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

280..Electronic metrenome.....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Rich Grise

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:11:22 -0800, Lane wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

284, A piece of mountain climbing equipment. Cams lock into a crack and
attach ropes to it. Sorry I don't know the official name.

285, some kind of airfoil, spoiler, tv antenna for a vehicle?

Dang! I thought I was finally going to get one! It's a car TV antenna.
It sits above the trunk lid on a strut. Crocodile Dundee ripped one off
a limo to use on a couple of punks.

Cheers!
Rich

Carl G.

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

284. Mountain climbing thing-a-ma-bob (I don't recall the name).
285. A polystyrene foam glider wing.
286. Crank for louvers or a scissor jack.
287. Handle used to open and close a valve, perhaps an old gas valve.
288. Photographer's photometer.
289. Valeria Mazza ("VM") lipstick for supermodels that overdid the "fat
lip" look.

Carl G.

Brian Lawson

Hey Mathew,

Well, for sure you "guessed right" on 286. That is what it is.

Forerunners to this type device were a crescent shaped section "rod"
without the knuckle, and so were referred to as "lunar keys", and
actuated a different door mechanism than these current types. Old
guys like me still tend to call these as "lunar keys" rather then
broken knuckle keys when we're not thinking. Technically, number 286
is a "double joint broken knuckle key", as earlier styles only have
one joint, and some that use a flat section instead of round, but they
all serve the same purpose. Of the two parallel roll-pins, the one
closest to the joints is to provide a penetration limit, and the
outside one is the finger-grip to turn the device in operation.

With very few exceptions, the doors arranged for this device are only
on the lowest level, and the lowest level plus one provided the
distance isn't over 4 feet from the car-top to the second level when
the car is a the lowest landing. Anything over the 4 feet requires a
different plan.

I'd be interested to know how the OP came to have one of these, as in
Canada, Ontario in particular, they are not available to the public or
anyone outside the trade. Too easy to get hurt yourself, or injure
someone else, let alone damage something expensive if used
inappropriately or incorrectly.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
retired Otis/Dover elevator mechanic foreman.
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:51:04 -0600,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Rob,

Number 286 is a "broken knuckle key" for unlocking the hall doors on
certain types of elevators, generally to gain access to the car top
for servicing.

ROTFL. I've posted "elevator shaft key" for a number of gadgets
(including this one), most of which I had more confidence than the
current one. It's always been wrong. A lot of people are guessng it
for this one... maybe it's finally right.

Scott Lurndal

Brian Lawson writes:
Hey Mathew,

I'd be interested to know how the OP came to have one of these, as in
Canada, Ontario in particular, they are not available to the public or
anyone outside the trade. Too easy to get hurt yourself, or injure
someone else, let alone damage something expensive if used
inappropriately or incorrectly.

As we learned more than 20 years ago, you don't really
need the "broken knuckle key" when a coat-hanger or other
stiff wire works just as well :-).

Elevator racing using the inspection controls was fun,
not to mention the head games one could play taking over
the elevator from the top unbeknownst to the occupants.

scott

Bob Chilcoat

284 - "Camalot" rock climbing jam cam device
285 - Toy flying wing glider
286 - Folding crank or key for something
287 - Wing nut key
288 - Photographic exposure meter
289 - 45 rpm adaptor for record changer

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

281 Tack puller/scarificator

287 Portable keyhole for incorrigible peepers OR wing nut wrench

R.H.

Somehow the server lost my original post so I'll reply here to everyone's
initial answers.

These have all been correctly identified:

284. Rock climber's camming device
286. Elevator door key. Thanks to Gary for contributing this photo.
287. Wing nut wrench
288. Light meter
289. 45-RPM spindle adapter

-----

285. Several people get partial credit, it's a flying wing made of
polystyrene. The answer that I'm looking for is the specific name of this
glider. The reason that I include it here is that it flies in a very unusual
manner, it isn't thrown like most small planes, and it can be kept aloft
indefinitely, with no strings or other attachments. I'll post the answer in
a day or two if no one gets it.

Rob

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
It was somewhere outside Barstow when (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

289) A 45-RPM spindle adaptor -- made by "Voice of Music" (see the
"VM" logo on the end.) It is intended for use on a record
changer.

Interesting - we didn't have these in the UK (AFAIK).

Our approach for playing second-hand ex-jukebox singles (for new
singles don't need any adapter) was different. We put a little plastic
adaptor clip into each record.

This one was for a "record changer" -- a turntable with extra
features which allowed you to stack some number of records and it would
automatically drop the lowest of the stack at the top onto the turntable
(or previous records) at the bottom. Obviously, the mechanism for
lifting and retracting the arm had to lift it fairly high to deal with
the most extreme stack of records.

These typically had the skinny spindle with a crook near the top
through which a clip was actuated from below through the spindle. When
used with 45 RPM records (which were sold to individuals in stores in
the US, instead of just for juke boxes), this adaptor was slid down over
the skinny spindle. and the clip at the crook actuated the support keys
seen at about the 1/3 distance from the top. Prior to drawing those
black supports (one visible and one 180 degrees around the adaptor), it
first extends some thin metal pieces just above (just barely visible as
a glint in the photo above the black part) to separate the bottom-most
record from those above. I then would withdraw the black part, dropping
the bottom-most record, and then re-extend it and withdraw the metal
pieces, allowing the stack to settle down so the bottom-most record was
supported by the black piece again.

Note that I *know* that some changers were made in the UK back
around 1957, as I remember the Garrard changers were advertised in the
same flyer as the plain turntables.

Note, also, that teens tended to have changers made *only* for
45-RPM records, so the fat spindle was built in, and the whole thing was
smaller and easier to take to a party along with a box of the records.

I believe that the first of the 45RPM record players had a slot
in the front, and you just pushed it in -- somewhat similar to some CD
players today. I never saw one of those in person, though I have seen
photos of them.

Yes -- the clips were available in the US -- and often used with
turntables -- but they did not come already in the records. Instead,
you bought a pack of five or ten at a time. Most that I remember were
yellow, though I think that I also remember a light blue version.

Also -- there were adaptors intended to be left on the
turntable, a plastic puck with (sometimes) a shallow conical top to ease
dropping the record onto it without having to fiddle to get it centered.
I've seen these (with a sheet of felt) glued to an oversized record
platter (usually the kind used to send out multiple advertising spots to
radio stations). The actual turntable also would have a felt top
(instead of the more common moulded rubber one), so the record could
slip on it. This was used for "slip queuing" -- you placed the needle
in the run-in groove, allowed it to play until you heard the first note,
gripped the edge of the platter, and pulled it backwards about 1/8 of a
turn. (This while the sound from that turntable was only fed to the
monitor speakers in the broadcast room, not to the air. When the time
came, you would bring the volume up to the air feed, talk as much as was
deemed necessary, and then let go of the record edge with the turntable
still spinning under it, thus giving a quick and sure start to the
record's playing. (There were broadcast turntables which could start
much more quickly, and with these, the record was placed on, spun
forward by hand until the sound, then backed up just enough so when you
switched the turntable motor on, it would be up to speed just as it hit
the first note.

Slip queuing was better suited to the hectic pace common to disk
jockeys who would typically play 45 RPM records and have teen audiences,
while the other style was better suited to those who played classical or
jazz recordings.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

DanG

284. Rock climbing device to wedge into cracks, etc.
285. Styrofoam glider
286. Device for creating wire clamps.
287. no good guess or idea
288. math/measuring device similar to a slide rule
289. 45 RPM record spindle. Is my age showing now?

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

Here is the answer to number 285:

This flying wing is called a Walkalong Glider, it can be kept aloft and
maneuvered by the air that flows around your body as you walk forward. The
easiest way to fly it is to use a piece of cardboard, positioned
perpendicular to the ground and held a foot or more in front of the body.
As you walk, the localized upcurrent from the cardboard keeps the glider
flying and controls its direction. The plane is positioned with the two
blue dots a few inches directly over the cardboard.

The next step is to use just your hands to create the updraft, and when you
master this way of flying it, you can try the even more difficult technique
of keeping the glider aloft by using the air flowing off just your head.

I first saw this glider on the Scientific American Frontiers pbs program,
and sent away for one the next day. You can see a video of the glider
flying at the site below, it's the fourth one from the top:

http://www.pbs.org/saf/1109/video/watchonline.htm

Rob