Wilson Lamb

Default Dancing Man Plans

Dancing man, limberjack, steppin sam....
Yep, I searched and searched, but didn't find 'em.
I found pictures and talk about them, but no plans.
I need a simple plan for a kid project.
Can anyone point me to some?
Thanks,
Wilson

Dan Valleskey

I bought one, somewhere, I dunno- museum of Appilacia? Maybe it was
at a Craker Barrel?

Don't need a plan if you have the man.

-Dan

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 03:00:14 GMT, "Wilson Lamb"
wrote:

Dancing man, limberjack, steppin sam....
Yep, I searched and searched, but didn't find 'em.
I found pictures and talk about them, but no plans.
I need a simple plan for a kid project.
Can anyone point me to some?
Thanks,
Wilson

Charlie Self

http://www.rolinmusic.com/plans.html

Roll down to #332. First one up no a google search for "limberjack
plans" so there are others. A buck.

Wilson Lamb

Yep, a buck, and five for shipping. Wife found the same thing at Elderly
Instruments and we ordered it, but there's no picture of either. They may
be OK, or too complicated for a kid to manage.

Does anyone else know of any that can be previewed?
Wilson
"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.rolinmusic.com/plans.html

Roll down to #332. First one up no a google search for "limberjack
plans" so there are others. A buck.

Charlie Self

WIlson,

I think the complexity is pretty much what you wish it to be. I've seen
limberjacks that range from 10" to 18" in height, with and without
fancy joints, but all of them have jointed knees, hips and shoulders
(easily done with axle dowels with a cap style end). Stick a dowel
about 2/3 of the way up the back and make a board large enough to be
sat upon and bounced by hand while the kid holds the jack's stick.
Great combination toy and rhythm instrument.

Paint or don't paint, finish or don't finish. I'd use something like
soft maple or poplar for the jack (traditionally, in Appalachia, it is
done in cherry or walnut and left unfinished), and maybe poplar or pine
for the percussion board.

Sounds like time for someone to do an article on the subject, fer
pete's sake. I found a sufficiency of photos, but no plans other than
what you found.

By the way, the limberjack is not always classed as a toy. A bit west
of here, it's a musical instrument usually played by adults.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article et,
Wilson Lamb wrote:
Dancing man, limberjack, steppin sam....
Yep, I searched and searched, but didn't find 'em.
I found pictures and talk about them, but no plans.
I need a simple plan for a kid project.
Can anyone point me to some?
Thanks,
Wilson

Check out books by John Nelson at your library.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Selling items made from mag plans Bill Woodworking 26 August 17th 04 06:50 AM
Peg-gear-clock Plans - Woodworking Plans peg-gear-clock Woodturning 0 December 11th 03 11:10 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Protecting Designs WoodJunkie Woodworking 3 August 4th 03 02:08 PM