Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ikon

Default Staining, varnishing, and wood grade

Normal procedure for staining wood is like this, according to all
manuals:
1. Buy stain grade wood
2. Apply wood conditioner
3. Apply stain
4. Apply varnish

If I want to preserve the natural color of the wood (rather than make
it darker), then they tell you to apply Natural Stain (#209 at Home
Depot) at step 3.

But could I, instead, buy paint grade wood (which is much cheaper than
stain grade), and just apply varnish alone, without stain ?

"Refinishing wood furniture" [email protected] Woodworking 0 December 29th 04 06:46 PM
Wood Varnishing lawrence zarb UK diy 4 September 9th 04 08:05 PM
Question about varnishing hard wood Paul Moore UK diy 12 July 29th 03 01:18 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Ignoramus26420 Woodworking 19 July 22nd 03 03:20 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Emily Lattella Home Repair 2 July 16th 03 08:07 PM