Larry Bud

Default Problem with Freud Raised Panel Bit, please help!

Take a look at this photo:

http://www.areddy.net/misc/raisedpanelproblem.jpg

This is with a Freud 2+2 raised panel bit, nearly brand new. Only ran
made 15 feet of board through this.

I'm taking off small passes, but I still get this light line on the
board. When it gets stained, the light line turns darker than the rest
of the board.

The board is white oak, and the bit ends up getting some pitch on it.
I've tried this at all different router speeds (in a router table, of
course) and different feed speeds. The problem only happens against
the grain. It also won't sand out.

Nicky

Look at the cutting edge(s) carefully, and look for any imperfections, maybe
one wing is chipped, but if you can't sand it out, this may not be the
problem. I'm thinking here that 1 of the three wings is not doing its job,
leaving a bit a the grain standing, where it would stain darker (maybe).

The pitch build up....this is a large cutter that generates a lot of heat
that could be depositing the pitch back onto the material. More heat on end
grain, then with the grain. Try waxing (auto wax would do) the back of the
cutter to see if you get less pitch build-up and better results.

I've just finished a small library, 40+ raised panels, red oak, very little
sanding was required using the Freud 2+2. I run my 3hp router at 12,000rpm,
I take about 1/8 each pass, with a final pass of 1/16 or less, and I check
and clean the bit before making the final pass. I also use a feather board.
I have a special fence for my router table where I connect my DC to maximize
chip extraction, and keep this operation as clean as possible.

Hope some of this helps.

-nick

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
Take a look at this photo:

http://www.areddy.net/misc/raisedpanelproblem.jpg

This is with a Freud 2+2 raised panel bit, nearly brand new. Only ran
made 15 feet of board through this.

I'm taking off small passes, but I still get this light line on the
board. When it gets stained, the light line turns darker than the rest
of the board.

The board is white oak, and the bit ends up getting some pitch on it.
I've tried this at all different router speeds (in a router table, of
course) and different feed speeds. The problem only happens against
the grain. It also won't sand out.

Larry Bud

Nicky wrote:
Look at the cutting edge(s) carefully, and look for any

imperfections, maybe
one wing is chipped, but if you can't sand it out, this may not be

the
problem. I'm thinking here that 1 of the three wings is not doing its

job,
leaving a bit a the grain standing, where it would stain darker

(maybe).

I emailed Freud tech support with the photo, and they responded within
an hour. I answered their questions, sending them a couple more
pictures, and they said to send the bit back to them and they'll send
me a new one. I had the tech support guy stumped. He said it might
have been ground wrong, though he had never seen that happen (just my
luck!).

Great support! They never even asked when I bought it!

Nicky

I've heard this about Freud support, but I've not needed their services,
yet. I've become a creature of habit, buying Freud bits and blades, and have
never looked back.

I'm really curious as to "root cause", if you ever find out, please post.

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...