El Guapo

Default Re-conditioned tool from Amazon

Anyone bought re-conditioned tools from Amazon.com?
And if so, your opinions please..........Thanks

Neil Larson

I bought the Hitachi 18V drill. Great deal and works great. I was looking
for the PC drill and saw but from ALL the reviews I saw, they are garbage. I
guess PC does not do a good job with reconditioned stuff.

The Hitachi was $99 delivered, but it did take about a 2 weeks to get it.

"El Guapo" wrote in message
Anyone bought re-conditioned tools from Amazon.com?
And if so, your opinions please..........Thanks

Never Enough Money

I bought the large Porter-Cable plunge router -- I forgot the model
number. It's been perfect. There was a tiny bit of damage to the casing
which has zero impact on the performance. Glad I made the purchase.

Unquestionably Confused

Neil Larson wrote:
I bought the Hitachi 18V drill. Great deal and works great. I was looking
for the PC drill and saw but from ALL the reviews I saw, they are garbage. I
guess PC does not do a good job with reconditioned stuff.

A local Ace Hardware store near me does a booming business in selling
factory reconditioned tools from DeWalt and Porter Cable. I've bought a
number of the Porter Cable recons from both this store and other outlets
and never had a problem.

I don't own the PC drill but maybe the drill itself is crap no matter if
it's new or recon? I'd find that hard to believe given PC's reputation
but you never know.

My take on factory reconditioned is that I'd just as soon buy
reconditioned than new.

Unless the recon is uglier than a junk yard dog, you're getting a tool
at a cheaper price, it's been essentially handmade since they have a
tech going over it individually to bring it back to factory specs, and
that also implies a full inspection of all parts, not just spot checking
as you may encounter on the assembly line.

Then, too, most give you the full warranty on the recon so where's the rub?

A little cosmetic blem? Hah! I use my tools and anything I buy new or
reconditioned generally acquires an "individualized patina" all its own
after one or two projectsg

El Guapo wrote:
Anyone bought re-conditioned tools from Amazon.com?
And if so, your opinions please..........Thanks

I bought a reconditioned Dewalt 788 scroll saw. I have had no problems
with it. Would I do it again? Yes. Bob

Joe Wilding

I don't think it matters where you buy it from. I believe they all come from
the original manufacturer. I have several Dewalt tools that were
remanufactured. Other than a little "R" stamp on them, you would never know
the difference. (In my experience anyway.) I always look for remanufactured
first, before I buy. You can't always find what you want, though. THey
ussually are priced 30% - 50% less.

Joe In Denver
My Woodworking Website:
www.the-wildings.com/shop/

"El Guapo" wrote in message
Anyone bought re-conditioned tools from Amazon.com?
And if so, your opinions please..........Thanks

Robatoy

In article ,
"El Guapo" wrote:

Anyone bought re-conditioned tools from Amazon.com?
And if so, your opinions please..........Thanks

An aquaintance of mine used to own a tool store. (He sold just before HD
came to town...smart move, btw)
Anyway... he told me that some manufacturers do the 'refurb' thing with
brand new tools to get around anti-dumping laws. According to him, the
manufacturers rather sell one of their tools at cheap rates than see
that customer buy a ,say, Ryobi.

The reason that sounded real to me, was the fact that a dealer, who sold
my loudspeakers, kept asking me for 'scratch and dents', somehow, some
of his customers didn't mind a blemish because they thought they were
getting a deal, closing the sale.
So I started to make 'scratch & dents' just for that dealer...
I got rid of my 'off-colour' walnut, I didn't have to 'rework' any small
imperfections, so it was an all around win-win situation. I also shipped
him perfectly acceptable pairs as 'S&D'.

I buy refurbs in a heartbeat. A 14V Milwaukee drill I bought was a
'refurb'. I opened it up and found the finishing marks were still on the
brushes and commutator. New.
Some are repackaged returns. Guy comes home with his new Schlabotnic DXP
Panferator, SWMBO blows stack, guy returns tool. Guy lies, says it
doesn't work right. Tool goes back to distributor, and so on....

0¿0

Rob
Phisherman

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:12:23 -0600, "El Guapo"
wrote:

Anyone bought re-conditioned tools from Amazon.com?
And if so, your opinions please..........Thanks

Yes I have. Generally I don't like to buy reconditioned power tools,
unless I can get 33% off.
Too_Many_Tools

Reconditioned can mean many things...

It can mean that the tool is examined closely by a tech and brought up
to like new condition that will be sold much, much less than a new one.

It can mean that it is thrown into a box without ever being looked at,
accessories removed, and repriced and relabeled as new.

It can also mean any variation between these two extremes.

I for one will always buy reconditioned before new but I also make SURE
I get a good reconditioned model before I leave the store.

FYI...more than once I have seen returns replaced on the store shelf
to be sold again as new. This happens at several well known retailers
where you and I shop at daily. You the buyer have to inspect anything
you buy very carefully before accepting it as a purchase.

As always, buyer beware.

TMT

mac davis

wrote:

Anyone bought re-conditioned tools from Amazon.com?
And if so, your opinions please..........Thanks

I can't comment on Amazon, but I always recommend reconditioned tools..
My feeling is that they get more quality control after being fixed than the new
ones do coming off an assembly line..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:16:15 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

snip
Some are repackaged returns. Guy comes home with his new Schlabotnic DXP
Panferator, SWMBO blows stack, guy returns tool. Guy lies, says it
doesn't work right. Tool goes back to distributor, and so on....

0¿0

Rob

Lots of stores (especially Circuit City) return or discount items that have been
returned or even opened.. good to check against a new one though, could have
missing part..
A friend bought a drill/saw kit at 1/2 price and realized that a battery was
missing... which cost MORE than 1/2 the price to replace..