Bruce E. Harang II

Default Wooden Vise Screw

Hello all,

I am planning my workbench and would like to know if anyone can help me find
a threadbox and tap to make 2" diameter screws for a tail and shoulder vise.
The closest I can find anywhere online is 1 1/2" and I really want the extra
1/2". I have seen many pictures of old workbenches with 2" or larger screws
and would like to know how I can make them for my own bench.

Thank you,
Bruce

DL

I found this site a while ago when I was looking for a dowel maker for a
project I was working on. Has what you want but they are in Europe (should
be no problem) and the prices seem extremely high. For the 2" version, you
could buy a decent bench if I read it correctly.

http://www.fine-tools.com/gewind.htm

Good luck

David

"Bruce E. Harang II" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I am planning my workbench and would like to know if anyone can help me
find a threadbox and tap to make 2" diameter screws for a tail and
shoulder vise. The closest I can find anywhere online is 1 1/2" and I
really want the extra 1/2". I have seen many pictures of old workbenches
with 2" or larger screws and would like to know how I can make them for my
own bench.

Thank you,
Bruce

AAvK

I found this site a while ago when I was looking for a dowel maker for a
project I was working on. Has what you want but they are in Europe (should be no problem) and the prices seem extremely high.
For the 2" version, you could buy a decent bench if I read it correctly.
http://www.fine-tools.com/gewind.htm
Good luck
David

Cripes, it would be cheaper to go to a machinist and have the thread cutting
parts made!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

Hello all,
I am planning my workbench and would like to know if anyone can help me find a threadbox and tap to make 2" diameter screws for a
tail and shoulder vise. The closest I can find anywhere online is 1 1/2" and I really want the extra 1/2". I have seen many
pictures of old workbenches with 2" or larger screws and would like to know how I can make them for my own bench.
Thank you,
Bruce

You could do the threading on the wood itself (or "have done") on a metal
lathe because it has a lead screw and gears to control the speed at which the
threads are cut, governing the resulting threads per inch as well. It's merely
the cutter to come up with...

http://www.bealltool.com/ has threading tools that work with a router but I
don't think they go up to 2". They probably would make a 2" outfit for you.

Also, Scott Landis' "The Bench Book" shows how large threading apperatus
were made and used. You could have those metal parts made and do the rest
yourself.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Bruce E. Harang II"
wrote:

I am planning my workbench and would like to know if anyone can help me find
a threadbox and tap to make 2" diameter screws for a tail and shoulder vise.

Never seen one - and if you did try to use a standard threadbox and
tap for those sizes, it wouldn't work too well. You need a single
point cutting tool and an edge grind that's more like a turning chisel
than a blunt tap edge.

It's not that hard to make the screw by hand carving, if you read a
few 18th century guides on how to do it. You can also use something
like the Trend routerlathe to hog off a lot of timber, but they make a
lousy thread profile - finsih it with a chisel.

All the modern = 2" thread cutting I've seen has involved making the
screw by hand, then making a nut-cutting tool that ran on the thread
itself. You'll need a bit of metalworking knowledge, but it's not
hard.

Another technique is to cast the nut in lead around the screw.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:12:22 -0500, the inscrutable "Bruce E. Harang
II" spake:

Hello all,

I am planning my workbench and would like to know if anyone can help me find
a threadbox and tap to make 2" diameter screws for a tail and shoulder vise.
The closest I can find anywhere online is 1 1/2" and I really want the extra
1/2". I have seen many pictures of old workbenches with 2" or larger screws
and would like to know how I can make them for my own bench.

Pick up a copy of Roy Underhill's book at your library or bookshop,
then make your own tools and screws.

The Woodwright's Workbook
Further Explorations in Traditional Woodcraft
by Roy Underhill
259 pp., 81/2 x 11, 239 illus.
$18.95 paper ISBN 0-8078-4157-9

Table of Contents for The Woodwright's Workbook

Annotated Text of The Debate of the Carpenter's Tools
Making Workbenches
Making Screwboxes and Taps for Wood Threading *****************
Constructing Springpole and Treadle Lathes
Building a Carpenter's Tool Chest
Rustic Chairs
Hickory-Bark Chair Bottoms
Turned High Chair
Weaving a Cattail Reed Chair Seat
A Loom-Back Chair
Ladders, Folding Bookstands, Eggbeaters, and Music Mills
Making a Rowboat
A Field Guide to American Tool Marks
Building a Colonial Fort, a Barn, and a Blacksmith Shop

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications