R.H.

Default What is it? L

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Jonathan Wilson

278 looks like a lump of metal, I dont know what kind or what its for
279 looks like a spanner or adjustment device of some kind
280 is an battery operated metronome
281 is that for cutting something (or is it something like a fish scaler)?
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

278. Used in a "tumbling drum" of some type for rust or scale removal? Maybe
dump a bunch in a concrete transit truck to remove caked on concrete?
279. Bicycle wrench/tool. Openings for wrenching axles & spokes, tire iron
on other end.
280. Electronic metronome.
281. No idea.
282. Strainer. Looks almost like the one in the shower drain.
283. No idea.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

FMB

278 Meteorite

282 aerator (inside your kitchen faucet)

--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Bob Chilcoat

278 is a lodestone, or perhaps an iron meteorite, or perhaps both.
279 is a bicycle tool. The thin end is a tire iron.
280 is an electronic metronome with provision for tuning to A440.

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Noons

R.H. apparently said,on my timestamp of 24/02/2005 8:29 PM:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

278: piece of slag metal, or a meteorite.
279: bike wrench
280: metronome
281: pet hair dematter/trimmer
282: tap aerator?
283: some form of paper or leather cutter?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

278. Meteorite
279. Automotive window handle remover
280. Spanish language volume control
281. Some kind of knife
282. Shower drain strainer
283. Torture device

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Danny Kodicek

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...

280. Spanish language volume control

Judging by the raucus Spanish speakers of my acquaintance, this would be a
useful device to have.

Danny

Matthew Newell

In article ,
says...
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

from rec.puzzles

278 - I suppose lump of metal is too obvious

279 - a bicycle repair multitool?

280 - digital metronome

281 - fishermans tool - descaling dehooking?

282 - cannot see it

283 - i believe this has been banned by the geneva
convention

regards

matthew newell
Dave Balderstone

In article , R.H.
wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

278: Meteorite

279: Bicycle wrench. Spoke, cone, hub and tire lever

280: Metronome

283: Crampon?

Tim Shoppa

283: Crampon?

I don't know the name, but it's what comes in bike tire repair kits to
clean rubber before putting on the rubber cement and then the patch.

Tim.

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

278) A bit of debris from a rocket launch.

279) Basin wrench

280) Electronic metronome

281) Wallpaper removal tool

282) Microphone

283) Rube Goldberg can-opener part.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Bill Otten

279 is a bicycle wrench and tire tool....small openings are for tightening
spokes
280 is an electronic metronome for musicians

bill otten

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Spoilers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

I don't mind answering all of the replies individually, but thought I would
try a different approach this time and answer all initial responses in one
post.

278. Several people got this one correct, it's a fragment of the
Sikhote-Alin meteorite that fell in Russia back in 1947. More info on it
can be seen he

http://www.alaska.net/~meteor/SAinfo.htm

These next two were answered correctly by a number of people:

279. Bicycle tool

280. Electronic metronome.

281. No one has yet answered this one correctly.

282. This picture was emailed to me as a guest submission, and there are
also no right answers for it yet . I guess I should have been more clear,
when I said that this one is an extreme close-up, that was meant to imply
that the object is very small. Next time I'll state the size of the item or
if it's a microscope photo (as this one is). The outside diameter of this
object is 125 microns.

283. One person correct so far, it's a can opener that works similarly to
object #158 that was posted back in October, it can be seen he

http://pzphotosan31.blogspot.com/

I'm hoping someone can tell me why the back end is shaped like it is, maybe
there is a handle missing, but in order to use this tool the pointed end
must pierce the center of the can and it doesn't look like the other end is
made to be pounded on, though you can see in the photo that there are marks
where it was struck with something.

Rob

Dave Balderstone

In article , R.H.
wrote:

281. No one has yet answered this one correctly.

Wouldn't be a knife for shucking corn and then taking the kernels off
the cob, would it?

282. This picture was emailed to me as a guest submission, and there are
also no right answers for it yet . I guess I should have been more clear,
when I said that this one is an extreme close-up, that was meant to imply
that the object is very small. Next time I'll state the size of the item or
if it's a microscope photo (as this one is). The outside diameter of this
object is 125 microns.

At that size... some sort of silicon wafer?

281 looks like the tool an upholsterer uses to pull staples and fool
with webbing

R.H.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , R.H.
wrote:

281. No one has yet answered this one correctly.

Wouldn't be a knife for shucking corn and then taking the kernels off
the cob, would it?

This one isn't a knife for shucking corn.

282. This picture was emailed to me as a guest submission, and there are
also no right answers for it yet . I guess I should have been more

clear,
when I said that this one is an extreme close-up, that was meant to

imply
that the object is very small. Next time I'll state the size of the

item or
if it's a microscope photo (as this one is). The outside diameter of

this
object is 125 microns.

At that size... some sort of silicon wafer?

No, it's not a silicon wafer, I'll give a hint tomorrow if no one gets it by
then.

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

R.H. wrote:

282. This picture was emailed to me as a guest submission, and there are
also no right answers for it yet . I guess I should have been more clear,
when I said that this one is an extreme close-up, that was meant to imply
that the object is very small. Next time I'll state the size of the item or
if it's a microscope photo (as this one is). The outside diameter of this
object is 125 microns.

Could it be from some medical equipment, like for dialysis (artificial
kidney)?

Tor
DanG

278 looks to be a meteorite
279 is bicycle tool
280 metronome with the correct Italian music notation
281 looks to be a serious version of an oyster knife
282 might be an aerator from a sink faucet
283 is a can opener though I don't recognize the device on the non
pointed end.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Dave Balderstone

In article %hvTd.28156$Zr.25642@okepread03, DanG
wrote:

281 looks to be a serious version of an oyster knife

I thought about that but doesn't an oyster knife have a guard between
the handle and the blade?

Jim Stewart

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , R.H.
wrote:

281. No one has yet answered this one correctly.

A tool for stripping the coat of a terrier?

Jim

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:52:54 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

No, it's not a silicon wafer, I'll give a hint tomorrow if no one gets it by
then.

diffraction grating?

Jim
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

A tough batch -- at least for me.

I'm posting from the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup.

278) It looks to me like an iron-based meteorite, with the surface
contours resulting from the heating as it fell through the air.

279) A custom wrench for some particular tool. It looks as though
the handle end is intended to serve to lever something up. I
think that the central open end is a bit larger than the hex.
The notches to either side may be tiny open-end wrenches, or may
be intended to bend something to adjust it. Is this another of
the items from that typewriter repair kit?

280) A combination tool for a musician. It seems to be primarily an
electronic metronome, with the ablity to select rhythms as well
(perhaps a virtual drummer), and a source for an A=440 Hz tuning
tone.

281) I think that is a fisherman's knife. The notch on the tip is
for removing a fish hook from the fish's mouth. The notches on
one side are for removing scales.

282) You say "extreme close-up", but you don't give the dimensions.
It looks as though it has been bent or trimmed along one edge
(at about 4:00 or so). Depending on scale, it could be a plate
for the output end of a meat grinder, or perhaps the aperture
plate for an aerator for a faucet. The holes are to the wrong
scale for it to be the aperture place for a hose and shower for
the bathroom.

283) This is a strange one. Looking only (or mostly) at the second
photo it looks as though the spike on the end could be stabbed
into a stuck lid or a jar of mayonnaise or the like, and then the
handle rotated down to drive the second spike into it to get a
good leverage for unscrewing the lid. But if so, I don't know
what the feature at the other end of the handle might be.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
stone.ca...
In article , R.H.
wrote:

[ ... ]

282. This picture was emailed to me as a guest submission, and there are

Oh -- guest submissions are allowed? I'll bear that in mind.
Do you want an e-mail exchange beforehand so you will know to expect an
e-mail with an attachment? I've got quite a few things to submit.

also no right answers for it yet . I guess I should have been more

clear,
when I said that this one is an extreme close-up, that was meant to

imply
that the object is very small. Next time I'll state the size of the

item or
if it's a microscope photo (as this one is). The outside diameter of

this
object is 125 microns.

Oh -- that makes a difference. An amazingly good shot.

At that size... some sort of silicon wafer?

No, it's not a silicon wafer, I'll give a hint tomorrow if no one gets it by
then.

A filter which goes inside something like a hypodermic syringe
to needle joint to filter out larger particles from whatever is being
dispensed?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Rich Grise

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:29:32 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

281: Grapefruit segment loosener/seed popper-outer; at least that's
what my Mom used ours for. ;-)

282: 125 _microns_????? That's not a close-up, that's a micrograph!
I'll be chomping at the bit for that hint!

Thanks,
Rich

Maloney Empire

Hi Rob,

Love your "What is it?"
I think 282 is the bottom of a potato masher

--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.
"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

diyguy

273) pipe-clamp stand?
275) tee-nut
277) sling for throwing clay targets in trap shooting

R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

282. This picture was emailed to me as a guest submission, and there are
also no right answers for it yet . I guess I should have been more clear,
when I said that this one is an extreme close-up, that was meant to imply
that the object is very small. Next time I'll state the size of the item or
if it's a microscope photo (as this one is). The outside diameter of this
object is 125 microns.

Air filter.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
gerard46

| Maloney Empire wrote:
| Hi Rob,
|
| Love your "What is it?"
| I think 282 is the bottom of a potato masher

Rob, you are thinking of a potato ricer, not a masher.
__________________________________________________ __Gerard S.

R.H.

"Jim" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:52:54 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

No, it's not a silicon wafer, I'll give a hint tomorrow if no one gets it

by
then.

diffraction grating?

Jim

This one isn't a diffraction grating.

R.H.

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , R.H.
wrote:

281. No one has yet answered this one correctly.

A tool for stripping the coat of a terrier?

281 isn't a grooming tool for animals.

R.H.

282. This picture was emailed to me as a guest submission, and there

are

Oh -- guest submissions are allowed? I'll bear that in mind.
Do you want an e-mail exchange beforehand so you will know to expect an
e-mail with an attachment? I've got quite a few things to submit.

Anyone here should feel free to send me some photos, an earlier email
beforehand sounds like a good idea. I've used several pictures that have
been sent to me, other photos that I've received weren't used because of two
main reasons: poor photo quality and just an arbitrary judgement on what I
want to see on my site. I don't expect a whole lot when it comes to photo
quality, but in focus is important, and decent lighting is a plus, just so
we have a good view of it. I can't guarantee everything sent to me will
make it onto the site, but if anyone wants to send some pictures, that would
be great.

A filter which goes inside something like a hypodermic syringe
to needle joint to filter out larger particles from whatever is being
dispensed?

This one isn't any type of filter.

Rob

R.H.

wrote:

281 looks to be a serious version of an oyster knife

I thought about that but doesn't an oyster knife have a guard between
the handle and the blade?

It's not an oyster knife.

R.H.

wrote in message
oups.com...
281 looks like the tool an upholsterer uses to pull staples and fool
with webbing

I'll have to give you partial credit on this answer, pulling staples is one
possible use for it, though not the primary use for this particular tool.

R.H.

"Tor-Einar Jarnbjo" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

282. This picture was emailed to me as a guest submission, and there are
also no right answers for it yet . I guess I should have been more

clear,
when I said that this one is an extreme close-up, that was meant to

imply
that the object is very small. Next time I'll state the size of the

item or
if it's a microscope photo (as this one is). The outside diameter of

this
object is 125 microns.

Could it be from some medical equipment, like for dialysis (artificial
kidney)?

Tor

Nope, it's not from medical equipment.

R.H.

"diyguy" wrote in message
ups.com...
273) pipe-clamp stand?
275) tee-nut
277) sling for throwing clay targets in trap shooting

Welcome to the group, these are from last week's set, you've got the last
two right though the numbers are transposed. 273 isn't a pipe-clamp stand.
Check the answer link at the bottom of the photos to see the solutions.

Rob

R.H.

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:29:32 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

281: Grapefruit segment loosener/seed popper-outer; at least that's
what my Mom used ours for. ;-)

281 wasn't made to be used on grapefruit, she might be amused to hear what
it's actually for.

282: 125 _microns_????? That's not a close-up, that's a micrograph!
I'll be chomping at the bit for that hint!

I don't know if this is much of a hint, but what you see in the photo is not
the whole object, you are looking at a cross-section of something. I'll try
to come up with another hint in a day or two if no one gets it.

Btw, thanks to Badger for sending this photo to me.

Rob

Carl G.

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

282. The end of a photonic crystal fiber?

Carl G.

R.H.

"Carl G." wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

282. The end of a photonic crystal fiber?

Carl G.

This answer is correct, also know as holey optical or microstructured fiber.