DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need Instructions On Glass Doors With Mullions (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/92420-need-instructions-glass-doors-mullions.html)

Woody February 23rd 05 03:47 AM

Need Instructions On Glass Doors With Mullions

Any one seen any good instructions on making cabinet doors with fancy
mullions in them?

Woody

Rick Cook February 23rd 05 04:01 AM

Woody wrote:
Any one seen any good instructions on making cabinet doors with fancy
mullions in them?

Woody

A bunch of them. What, exactly, do you mean by 'fancy'?

--RC

Rumpty February 23rd 05 04:15 AM

http://mrsawdust.com/ Good detailed instructions using the Radial Arm Saw.

--

Rumpty

oups.com...

Woody February 23rd 05 12:37 PM

Hey RC -

Fancy meaning mullions with a decorative routed edge - not just square.

Like something you'd see on a nice china cabinet.

Woody

Jim February 23rd 05 03:41 PM

"Woody" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any one seen any good instructions on making cabinet doors with fancy
mullions in them?

Woody

There was a program on "The Router Workshop" which showed how to create such
doors. You can get the plans from them.
Jim

TeamCasa February 23rd 05 04:52 PM

After making windows for my front room,
http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/images/windows1.jpg
I found that making the mullions tricky. I used the CMT set
http://www.medfordtools.com/cmt/windowsash.html
(link is for reference only)
To make the window sashes and mullions. The real tricky part had to
do with the vertical grain fir I used. Tearout was hard to control.
If and when I make any more windows, I'll use a different wood and more use
of backer boards when milling the mullions.

Dave

oups.com...

http://www.usenet.com

Rick Cook February 23rd 05 08:25 PM

Woody wrote:
Hey RC -

Fancy meaning mullions with a decorative routed edge - not just square.

Like something you'd see on a nice china cabinet.

Woody

You're talking about true mullions, not just decorative overlays on wood?

I assume, then, that the problem is coping them -- making the contours
match at places where the mullions meet?

--RC

Duane Bozarth February 23rd 05 09:32 PM

Woody wrote:

Any one seen any good instructions on making cabinet doors with fancy
mullions in them?

Woody

See the instruction sheet w/ the CMT window sash set.

Delta has an instruction sheet on producing windows and doors, etc.
Don't have the copy here for the part number but I suspect it's still
available if you ask.

I highly recommend the Delta sheet although it relies on a stub shaft
cutter to make the cope cut for the full-length tenon of a classical
window sash.

Most router sets these days are designed only for the stub tenon which
looks ok but isn't nearly as strong as the full tenon.