Jim Bailey

Default HVLP Setup questions

I recently bought a fairly inexpensive hvlp gun, and I have a couple of
questions for the experts.

The gun only comes witht 1.4 mm tip - assuming I can't find other tips for
it, what finishines can I expect to be able to work with ?

If I can find tips, what would a good 'standard' collection to have around
and for what finishes ?

Is this the type regulator I should add ?

If the gun calls for 40lbs of air (haven't receved it yet so haven't seen
the directions), should I adjust for that at the compressor or can I leave
the compresor pressure at 90-100 (where it normally is) and use something
like the above to adjust ?

Yea - I know - pretty basic stuff but I'm a real greenie to spraying.

jim

Mike Marlow

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
m...
I recently bought a fairly inexpensive hvlp gun, and I have a couple of
questions for the experts.

The gun only comes witht 1.4 mm tip - assuming I can't find other tips for
it, what finishines can I expect to be able to work with ?

1.4 is a pretty good all purpose tip. It all really depends on the
materials you will be spraying. I know that sounds like a line, but really,
tips and materials go hand in hand. Your manual will probably give more
info on different tips or the manufacturer's web site may. My best
suggestion - try shooting something with it. How do you like the finish?
My guess is that for 90% of what hobbyists do that tip will be just fine.

If I can find tips, what would a good 'standard' collection to have around
and for what finishes ?

Check your manual. This is very specific to the gun - especially with HVLP.

Is this the type regulator I should add ?

It'll do nicely as a gun mounted regulator, but you'll also want a better
regulator at the compressor. I have gun mounts on all of my guns and
wouldn't be without them. Spray painting is too dependent upon too many
factors and having the ability to change my gun pressure without running
back to the compressor in order to achieve proper atomization and pattern is
worth the small cost of the regulator.

If the gun calls for 40lbs of air (haven't receved it yet so haven't seen
the directions), should I adjust for that at the compressor or can I leave
the compresor pressure at 90-100 (where it normally is) and use something
like the above to adjust ?

I leave my compressor at max and regulate my gun at the gun. If you don't
use a gun mounted regulator then do not - do not run your compressor at max.
Depending on how much hose you have and what diameter it is, you will lose
some pressure in the line so it is generally safe to add around 10lbs at the
compressor to allow for this. This assumes 25-30 feet of 3/8 air line.

Also - do yourself a huge favor. Buy a couple of these...
http://www.prp-porshop.com/merchant...._Code=Supplies

or use this url...

http://tinyurl.com/6dmus

These are the absolute best investment you can make in your spray painting
operations. No matter what type of moisture traps you may or may not have
in the system, keep one of these on each gun at all times.

Yea - I know - pretty basic stuff but I'm a real greenie to spraying.

DAGS this group for spray painting topics. There has been a lot of good
discussion about painting that is well worth reading for the beginner.

--

-Mike-

Bob Bowles

Jeff Jewitt has a spray forum at www.homesteadfinishing.com that might