O D

Default Padauk wood table

Building one now and plan to put just wax on it after it is done.
Something like Kerf wood cream or mylands wax.
First concern is the beauty of the wood.
Let it age darker naturally.
If you were doing this project how would you finish it off ? Thank you.

Jeff P.

Personally, I would use something a bit more durable for a table than wax.
Wax offers virtually no protection at all. A table tends to get abused a
bit be it from beverage containers or lamps or clocks or whatever you place
on it. I'm sure I'll get flamed here but I would consider polyurethane at
least on the top. The wood will darken regardless of the finish you put on
it unless it's got some type of UV inhibitor in it. I tend to use lacquer
on a lot of my projects but for a table I would revert to poly.

--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
highway. The local newspaper reported that the onlookers were
"stunned, overwhelmed, astonished, bewildered, and dumfounded."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"O D" wrote in message
Building one now and plan to put just wax on it after it is done.
Something like Kerf wood cream or mylands wax.
First concern is the beauty of the wood.
Let it age darker naturally.
If you were doing this project how would you finish it off ? Thank you.

martin

Thats why most people use tablecloth and coasters, and if there is some
damage to the wax bingo another coat "and Bob your uncle", damage on POLY
bingo now your sanding the whole table top and starting from scratch and
losing the natural darkening of the wood.

"O D" wrote in message
Building one now and plan to put just wax on it after it is done.
Something like Kerf wood cream or mylands wax.
First concern is the beauty of the wood.
Let it age darker naturally.
If you were doing this project how would you finish it off ? Thank you.

Todd Fatheree

My personal opinion is that, unlike cherry for example, padauk looks best
with no darkening. My choice for the padauk table I made was a marine spar
varnish. If I was going to use a finish that offered no UV protection and
was easily repaired, I'd go with shellac.

todd

"O D" wrote in message
Building one now and plan to put just wax on it after it is done.
Something like Kerf wood cream or mylands wax.
First concern is the beauty of the wood.
Let it age darker naturally.
If you were doing this project how would you finish it off ? Thank

you.

Never Enough Money

One coat of Danish oil, followed by two coats of Waterlox original,
then waxed.

GerryG

Sanding the whole top? I typically use a coat of shellac on padauk to
seal the wood, then several coats of wb poly. The shellac provides a
better base, and a light coat doesn't change the color. That's also the
reason for the wb poly, which is very clear. As for scratches, repairing
poly isn't much harder than shellac. Sure they talk about adhesion
issues, but that isn't black-and-white, and I've never had one of my
repairs fail for adhesion.
GerryG

"O D" wrote in message

Building one now and plan to put just wax on it after it is done.
Something like Kerf wood cream or mylands wax.
First concern is the beauty of the wood.
Let it age darker naturally.
If you were doing this project how would you finish it off ? Thank you.

Jeff P.

Gee, it's amazing that almost all production furniture around has either
lacquer or poly and yet I don't see scores of people racing down to the
furniture refinisher to repair their tables.

Now, the big question...why couldn't you just state your opinion and not
inject sarcasm? That's exactly why I swore off of the Wreck a year ago. I
came back hoping things would be better but now I'm not so sure.

--

"O D" wrote in message
Building one now and plan to put just wax on it after it is done.
Something like Kerf wood cream or mylands wax.
First concern is the beauty of the wood.
Let it age darker naturally.
If you were doing this project how would you finish it off ? Thank

you.

Paul Kierstead

Jeff P. wrote:
Now, the big question...why couldn't you just state your opinion and not
inject sarcasm? That's exactly why I swore off of the Wreck a year ago. I
came back hoping things would be better but now I'm not so sure.

The wreck never really gets better, you just learn to ignore the crap.
Hang around and just ignore those incapable of playing nice.

PK
Jeff P.

Yeah, I know. It's just like the real world.

In reality it was very late, I was very tired, I was very think skinned. No
harm done I just overreacted.