R.H.

Default What is it? XLIX

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Jonathan Wilson

R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272 looks like a device that one could screw to hold a window closed, I
remember owning or using one similar to that (but covered in a cream
colored paint instead of shiny like that one)
274 looks like its designed to spray something (insect spray? paint? dont know)
276 looks like a shutter (to an old camera? film equipment? I dont know)
277 looks like cutting blades from something like a garbage disposal or
something.
Peter

"R.H." wrote in message ...
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. Al window stop or lock
273.Nut cracker
274. line maker using paint
275. Looks painful?
276. Iris in oil or gas fired furnace to adjust flame
277. Nutlock for funiture assembly

Ray V

I thought 273 was a nut cracker at first but the tip of the bolt is flat.
Will this still work?

--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

"Peter" wrote in message
u...

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. Al window stop or lock
273.Nut cracker
274. line maker using paint
275. Looks painful?
276. Iris in oil or gas fired furnace to adjust flame
277. Nutlock for funiture assembly

Joe

Just guesses of course, but...

272. Some sort of screen door fastener. Maybe to hold the glass or screen
in place?

273. Sprinkler pipe clamp.

274. I would guess at an old chaulk or ink dispenster for carpenters, etc.

277. Cheap but effective "nut" for use on fiber board or soft woods with
light duty carriage bolts, etc. Digs into the wood as you tighten the
fastener and thus does not spin?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Know a good travel agent? I need one. Really.

Matthew Newell

In article ,
says...
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

274 - for marking out lines? pool/billiard table?

275 - pure guess - a trigger pull gauge

276 an old camera aperture control iris

277 - a nut that is drawn into the soft wood / chipboard by
the action of the bolt - thus allowing you to bolt together
without great access to nut and leaving very little
protruding.
Johan

In article ,
"Peter" wrote:

274. line maker using paint

Or glue applicator

275. Looks painful?
276. Iris in oil or gas fired furnace to adjust flame
277. Nutlock for funiture assembly

Actually called a "teenut," (works similarly to real teenuts for
clamping workpieces for machining, but in wood or plastic to mount
various positioning aids) Use a lot of them making custom wheelchair
rehab seating.
Johan

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. ALuminum window lock or travel stop?

275 is a hand trap, for throwing clay targets for shotgun practice.
Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. Window lock
273. Lathe dog
274. No clue
275. Wire tensioner
276. Camera aperture
277. Tee nut

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Jon Haugsand

* R. H.
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

277 One of three parts of a nut bolt system to fasten something on a
plaster wall or whatever this is called in English.

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,

Gary Brady

Gary Brady wrote:
R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. Window lock
273. Lathe dog
274. No clue
275. Wire tensioner
276. Camera aperture
277. Tee nut

On second look, I'll say that:

274. pinstripe applicator

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Jon Haugsand

* R. H.
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272: A device to connect current to the water pipes, i.e. grounding.

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92
Marco Milazzo

Hard to tell without seeing the whole piece, but #276 looks like a
universal lens mount for studio cameras. This was a device to mo9unt
any diameter lens. The iris was closed by turning a small knob on the
side.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:31:19 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. Hamburgler deterrent.
273. Eats lathe cats.
274. McGuyver's high-school bong kit.
275. My dad used to beat me with one after frisbee practice.
276. The Terminator's eye.
277. An anti-screw. Combine with a regular screw and the two instantly
destroy eachother.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272: Stops something from sliding on rails. You put this thing on
the rail, move it to where you want it to stop, and tighten the set
screw. Probably a window as it's not big enough for a door.

273: Presumably the screw is meant to center something.. no idea what.

274: Pesticide bottle?

275: Given the name "Western Cartridge", it might be a tool for
sighting-in rifles or some such thing.

276: Camera aperture

277: Device for putting metal threads in a wooden block which will be
turned while in use. You drill the hole in the block, then hammer
this thing in. A pepper shaker of mine has a similar device inside. Doesn't
work too well because the prongs don't grip well.

Keith Marshall

272 - Window/screen retainer or stop?
273 - Lathe/Grinder dog
274 - Paint striper?
275 - Skeet thrower
276 - Camera iris/shutter/aperture?
277 - Tee Nut to put a threaded hole in wood

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Jeff Wisnia

R.H. wrote:
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

267. Cheap formed sheet metal acorn nut.

268. An early rifle bayonet.

274. Some kind of sprayer (disinfectant maybe?)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Mark and Kim Smith

R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

From rec.woodworking

#272: window stop
#273: Well, it will hold a rod. Maybe a centering jig?
#274: Pinstriping tool.
#275: dunno.
#276: camera shutter
#277: "T" nut
Fly-by-Night CC

XLIX? Am I misreading this? If you're going for "19" then it should be
written, "XIX". Otherwise it's speld Exlax.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
DanG

I am sure others will point out that the Roman numeral L stands
for 50
XL would give 40
XLIX would give 49

But inquiring minds would like to know if
IL would work?

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
XLIX? Am I misreading this? If you're going for "19" then it
should be
written, "XIX". Otherwise it's speld Exlax.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long

Leo Lichtman

272--Sliding door or window stop
273--Lathe dog
274--Pin striping device
275--Hand launcher for trap shooting
276--Iris diaphragm for camera lens
277--Tee nut

Rich Grise

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:21:21 -0600, DanG wrote:

I am sure others will point out that the Roman numeral L stands
for 50
XL would give 40
XLIX would give 49

But inquiring minds would like to know if
IL would work?

There are those who say that it's bad form to subtract anything
but the next lower "denomination" from a given symbol, i.e.,
XL, 40 plus IX, 9, gives 49. But you can't do VL for 45 or IL for
49. I think XC works for 90, but not IC for 99 or VC for 95.

But I'm pretty sure that that's mostly a "school of thought", as
opposed to a hard-and-fast rule.

BTW, I know what 272 and 277 are, but am afraid to guess on any
of the others, except that 273 looks like a holder of some kind
for something round. Maybe a bipod for a boresight scope or
something.

Cheers!
Rich

Jeff Wisnia

Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:21:21 -0600, DanG wrote:

I am sure others will point out that the Roman numeral L stands
for 50
XL would give 40
XLIX would give 49

But inquiring minds would like to know if
IL would work?

There are those who say that it's bad form to subtract anything
but the next lower "denomination" from a given symbol, i.e.,
XL, 40 plus IX, 9, gives 49. But you can't do VL for 45 or IL for
49. I think XC works for 90, but not IC for 99 or VC for 95.

I've always wanted to see a step by step example of how a long division
problem with a couple of "not too easy" numbers is solved in the Roman
numeral system. Can someone show me/us one?

The ancient Hebrew numeral system is even simpler as only addition is
needed to determine the full value, there's no subtraction of lower
denominations located to the left of higher ones. If interested, see:

http://www.answers.com/topic/hebrew-numerals

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
R.H.

"Jonathan Wilson" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272 looks like a device that one could screw to hold a window closed, I
remember owning or using one similar to that (but covered in a cream
colored paint instead of shiny like that one)

Correct, it's a sliding window lock

274 looks like its designed to spray something (insect spray? paint? dont

know)

I don't think it's a sprayer

276 looks like a shutter (to an old camera? film equipment? I dont know)

It's not a shutter, but it is part of a camera.

277 looks like cutting blades from something like a garbage disposal or
something.

Nope

R.H.

"Peter" wrote in message
u...

"R.H." wrote in message

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. Al window stop or lock

Correct

273.Nut cracker

Nope

274. line maker using paint

This one belongs to someone else, neither he nor I know exactly what it's
for, so I'm not sure if this is correct.

275. Looks painful?
276. Iris in oil or gas fired furnace to adjust flame

Not for a furnace

277. Nutlock for funiture assembly

Don't know if this is for furniture assembly, but you have the right general
idea.

R.H.

"Ray V" wrote in message
I thought 273 was a nut cracker at first but the tip of the bolt is flat.
Will this still work?

The tip of the bolt is actually a little bit convex, and the bolt is not
very long so I don't think it's a nutcracker.

R.H.

"Johan" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter" wrote:

274. line maker using paint

Or glue applicator

Could be

275. Looks painful?
276. Iris in oil or gas fired furnace to adjust flame
277. Nutlock for funiture assembly

Actually called a "teenut," (works similarly to real teenuts for
clamping workpieces for machining, but in wood or plastic to mount
various positioning aids) Use a lot of them making custom wheelchair
rehab seating.

Yes, tee nut is the answer that I was looking for here.

R.H.

"Joe" wrote in message
newsc0Rd.66424$QS5.56070@trndny06...
Just guesses of course, but...

272. Some sort of screen door fastener. Maybe to hold the glass or screen
in place?

Close but not correct.

273. Sprinkler pipe clamp.

Not sure here...

274. I would guess at an old chaulk or ink dispenster for carpenters, etc.

Possibly, not sure about this one either.

277. Cheap but effective "nut" for use on fiber board or soft woods with
light duty carriage bolts, etc. Digs into the wood as you tighten the
fastener and thus does not spin?

Correct.

R.H.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

274 - for marking out lines? pool/billiard table?

Don't know, I'm hoping someone will verify this for us with a good link.

275 - pure guess - a trigger pull gauge

Nope

276 an old camera aperture control iris

Camera aperture is correct.

277 - a nut that is drawn into the soft wood / chipboard by
the action of the bolt - thus allowing you to bolt together
without great access to nut and leaving very little
protruding.

Yes.

R.H.

"Johan" wrote in message
In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. ALuminum window lock or travel stop?
275 is a hand trap, for throwing clay targets for shotgun practice.

Both of these are correct.

R.H.

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
k.net...
Gary Brady wrote:
R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272. Window lock

Correct

273. Lathe dog

I looked on the web and couldn't find one like it, still not sure.

274. No clue
275. Wire tensioner

Nope

276. Camera aperture
277. Tee nut

Both correct.

On second look, I'll say that:

274. pinstripe applicator

Don't know...

Gary Dyrkacz

On 17 Feb 2005 13:36:23 EST, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

R.H. wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

From rec.woodworking

#272: window stop
#273: Well, it will hold a rod. Maybe a centering jig?

#274: Pinstriping tool.

Yep. for sure. I used to use one of these years ago for pistriping
lucite sght gauges with lacquer paint.
..
#275: dunno.
#276: camera shutter
#277: "T" nut

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/
R.H.

"Jon Haugsand" wrote in message
* R. H.
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

277 One of three parts of a nut bolt system to fasten something on a
plaster wall or whatever this is called in English.

I don't think that there is three parts to this one, but it's something
similar for fastening.

R.H.

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
272--Sliding door or window stop

Correct

273--Lathe dog
274--Pin striping device

Still awaiting good links to verify these two

275--Hand launcher for trap shooting
276--Iris diaphragm for camera lens
277--Tee nut

All correct.

R.H.

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

272: Stops something from sliding on rails. You put this thing on
the rail, move it to where you want it to stop, and tighten the set
screw. Probably a window as it's not big enough for a door.

Yes, for a window.

273: Presumably the screw is meant to center something.. no idea what.

274: Pesticide bottle?

As stated previously, still researching these two.

275: Given the name "Western Cartridge", it might be a tool for
sighting-in rifles or some such thing.

Nope

276: Camera aperture

277: Device for putting metal threads in a wooden block which will be
turned while in use. You drill the hole in the block, then hammer
this thing in. A pepper shaker of mine has a similar device inside.

Doesn't
work too well because the prongs don't grip well.

These last two are correct.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article L86Rd.14081$Zr.9155@okepread03,
"DanG" wrote:

I am sure others will point out that the Roman numeral L stands
for 50
XL would give 40
XLIX would give 49

Oooops. You, of course, are right. My brain was telling me the L was 5
for some reason...

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:21:21 -0600, DanG wrote:

I am sure others will point out that the Roman numeral L stands
for 50
XL would give 40
XLIX would give 49

But inquiring minds would like to know if
IL would work?

There are those who say that it's bad form to subtract anything
but the next lower "denomination" from a given symbol, i.e.,
XL, 40 plus IX, 9, gives 49. But you can't do VL for 45 or IL for
49. I think XC works for 90, but not IC for 99 or VC for 95.

I've always wanted to see a step by step example of how a long division
problem with a couple of "not too easy" numbers is solved in the Roman
numeral system. Can someone show me/us one?

*First* you figure out how to do multiplication. grin
(note: multiplying by *five* or *ten* is easy -- all you do is 'change the
letters'; multiplying by anything else is *messy*.
e.g., what's "IV * XL"?)

Division is done by 'multiply and subtract'. and 'summing' the various
multiplicands that you end up using..

Note: some of this stuff was *easier* with 'early Roman' numbering -- which
did *not* have the concept of the 'prefixed' symbol for a 'negative'. The
_position_ of a symbol simply *DID*NOT*MATTER*. IIIXVLCC meant exactly
the same thing as CCLXVII. this made for "simplified" addition -- you
could just concatenate the two numbers. Or, if feeling fancy, sort the
symbols by 'magnitude', and replace 'excess' occurrences of any particular
symbol with a single occurrence of a larger-magnitude symbol. repeat until
no further reductions were possible. Example:

IIII * XXXX = XXXX + XXXX + XXXX + XXXX = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX = LLLX = CLX

Division is _relatively_ straightforward in 'early' numbering. It is fairly
simple to find the largest 'power of ten' (or 5 times a power of 10) of the
divisor that is smaller than the dividend. This is, after all, just a
'shift the characters', operation. So, you subtract that value. and repeat
as needed. Note: you'll never have to subtract the same value more than 4
times, so the process is _not_ all that onerous.

With "late" Roman numerals, I strongly suspect that division was accomplished
by first 're-writing' in 'old style', doing the division, and 'reducing' the
result.

R.H.

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
m...
272 - Window/screen retainer or stop?

Correct.

273 - Lathe/Grinder dog

Do you know of a web site that could verify this one?

274 - Paint striper?

Here is some background on this item, as stated in the email from the owner:

"Found in my late Father-in-laws' estate. He had been an engineer at Pratt &
Whitney Aircraft in Hartford, but this was from his personal shop. He was a
tinkerer extraordinaire.

Seems to be an oiler or something, with the small rolling notched wheel
dispensing whatever was in the vial (looks like a striking wheel from a
Zippo, but not used that way here).

The round head screw on the side is for attaching to something that would
go through the hole, which does not have a passage into the nozzle.

This fits nicely into the hand, with thumb and finger resting in the
opposing depressions."

275 - Skeet thrower
276 - Camera iris/shutter/aperture?
277 - Tee Nut to put a threaded hole in wood

These three are correct, aperture for 276.

R.H.

267. Cheap formed sheet metal acorn nut.

268. An early rifle bayonet.

These two from last week are correct.

274. Some kind of sprayer (disinfectant maybe?)

This one isn't a sprayer.