DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wood finish stained white by water (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/91570-wood-finish-stained-white-water.html)

jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii February 17th 05 09:07 AM

wood finish stained white by water

We have a old wooden dressing table. I over-filled a plant pot standing on
it, and some of the water ran out of the saucer and lay for a few day under
a hand mirror.

Where the water lay, it has turned the wood finish a milky white.

Would be very grateful for any advice to remove this white stain please.
Many thanks.

Ray V February 17th 05 11:00 AM

"jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii" wrote in message
We have a old wooden dressing table. I over-filled a plant pot standing on
it, and some of the water ran out of the saucer and lay for a few day
under a hand mirror.

Where the water lay, it has turned the wood finish a milky white.

Misty says to use mayonaise
http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=1632149

The finish should return on its own if you leave it uncovered so the
moisture can escape. I would give it at least two weeks before tryimg
anything that could make it worse.
--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

George February 17th 05 02:12 PM

"Ray V" wrote in message
"jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii" wrote in message
We have a old wooden dressing table. I over-filled a plant pot standing

on
it, and some of the water ran out of the saucer and lay for a few day
under a hand mirror.

Where the water lay, it has turned the wood finish a milky white.

Misty says to use mayonaise
http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=1632149

The finish should return on its own if you leave it uncovered so the
moisture can escape. I would give it at least two weeks before tryimg
anything that could make it worse.
--

Might return pretty much in color, but you've run water through the finish
into the wood, and it'll stand up a bit under the finish unless you are

Phisherman February 17th 05 03:58 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:07:54 GMT, "jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii"
wrote:

We have a old wooden dressing table. I over-filled a plant pot standing on
it, and some of the water ran out of the saucer and lay for a few day under
a hand mirror.

Where the water lay, it has turned the wood finish a milky white.

Would be very grateful for any advice to remove this white stain please.
Many thanks.

Water has seeped under the finish. A dab of mayonnaise and soft cloth
should help.

jw 11111 March 1st 05 07:52 PM

wrote:

We have a old wooden dressing table. I over-filled a plant pot standing on
it, and some of the water ran out of the saucer and lay for a few day
under
a hand mirror.

Where the water lay, it has turned the wood finish a milky white.

Would be very grateful for any advice to remove this white stain please.
Many thanks.

Water has seeped under the finish. A dab of mayonnaise and soft cloth
should help.

thanks for the suggestions. left it for two weeks as advised, but very
little change. then applied mayonnaise (hellermans) leaving it on thickly
for a day. but sad to say no real change. any other thoughts gratefully
received. thanks

Guess who March 1st 05 08:22 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:52:32 GMT, "jw 11111"
wrote:

Water has seeped under the finish. A dab of mayonnaise and soft cloth
should help.

thanks for the suggestions. left it for two weeks as advised, but very
little change. then applied mayonnaise (hellermans) leaving it on thickly
for a day. but sad to say no real change. any other thoughts gratefully
received.

It's more likely "on" than "under" which would darken the wood. From
the sounds of it, ["it's been there a few days"], it might be deep
enough to cause a major refinishing.

If close to the surface [it's in the finish, top layer] a VERY mild
abrasion might do the trick. E.G. salt in veggie oil, rub *lightly*
with a pad or finger in a cloth. E.G a mild abrasive like toothpaste
....rub on wipe off. Some recommend 0000 steel wool ..again applied
very lightly, then rewaxing. I'd use water paper rather than steel
wool if going that way.

GerryG March 1st 05 09:38 PM

First, take a good look with a raking light. If the surface of the finish
looks porous, you would need to refinish that area. If not, see if you can
identify the finish. If it's very old, might even be shellac. Try warming the
area with a hair dryer (note: warm, not-not hot), and try a cloth ball with
just a little denatured alcohol, rubbing around the area and a firm pressure.
Even if it's not shellac, the alcohol may help. Just keep the pad clean.
GerryG

wrote:

.. .

jw 11111 March 2nd 05 01:06 PM

"GerryG" wrote in message
First, take a good look with a raking light. If the surface of the finish
looks porous, you would need to refinish that area. If not, see if you can
identify the finish. If it's very old, might even be shellac. Try warming
the
area with a hair dryer (note: warm, not-not hot), and try a cloth ball
with
just a little denatured alcohol, rubbing around the area and a firm
pressure.
Even if it's not shellac, the alcohol may help. Just keep the pad clean.
GerryG

tried the hairdryer no joy. tried the toothpaste and bingo! success.
many thanks to y'all. my life will now be spared, since this is the wife's
old but much loved dressingtable. thanks again. john west