Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John

Default Contrasting edge -- stain and glue conundrum

Hi,

I'm fairly new to woodworking, and I'm building a set of walnut tables
for my living room. The tops are walnut plywood with a solid walnut
edge. Here's the tricky part: the edges are going to be stained a
very dark color to contrast with the natural walnut of the rest of the
table (not my idea, but I'm not calling the shots here.)

What I decided to do, in order to create a perfect line between the two
colors, is to stain the edges ahead of time. I masked off all of the
surfaces that will receive glue, and I'm ready to attach the edges to
the top with some biscuits.

The question is, how can I prevent the glue squeezeout from ruining the
look of the joint? Obviously sanding after glue-up is not an option
because of the stain -- I need some advice on how to get rid of the
squeezeout without marring either the stained edge or the delicate
plywood on the other side of the joint. Any thoughts you have would be
much appreciated!

By the way, in case this is at all useful, I'm planning to fill the
pores and finish the top with Waterlox.

Thanks,
John