Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Default Anybody got any aloe?

Man, did my ass get smoked this morning. I called an electrician to install
220V service in my garage for my new bandsaw. He had to move one breaker to the
top of the box to free up two spaces in the bottom of the box. Then he had to
string some cable up between some open studs and drill through the top plate in
order to run the cable down another open stud in a more convenient spot, then
install an outlet. He also replaced the 7' cord that came with my bandsaw with
another that would actually reach. The price: $547 !!!

I thought I was going to ****.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have done the job myself the next time. I've done
plenty of 110V wiring but never tackled 220V service before. I got an expensive
education today. I deserve it, I guess.... I just picked this company out of
the phone book.

On the plus side, if the house burns down nobody can point the finger at me and
say I screwed it up. I didn't get electrocuted. And now I have an excuse to
buy another 220V tool. 8" jointer perhaps?

On a related note, the bandsaw's sweet. Gotta go soak my rear end in a bucket
of ice....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Leon

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...
Man, did my ass get smoked this morning. I called an electrician to
install 220V service in my garage for my new bandsaw. He had to move one
breaker to the top of the box to free up two spaces in the bottom of the
box. Then he had to string some cable up between some open studs and
drill through the top plate in order to run the cable down another open
stud in a more convenient spot, then install an outlet. He also replaced
the 7' cord that came with my bandsaw with another that would actually
reach. The price: $547 !!!

I thought I was going to ****.

Good ole Union labor Huh.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have done the job myself the next time. I've
done plenty of 110V wiring but never tackled 220V service before. I got
an expensive education today. I deserve it, I guess.... I just picked
this company out of the phone book.

On the plus side, if the house burns down nobody can point the finger at
me and say I screwed it up. I didn't get electrocuted. And now I have an
excuse to buy another 220V tool. 8" jointer perhaps?

On a related note, the bandsaw's sweet. Gotta go soak my rear end in a
bucket of ice....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

George

[...]

Sounds more like K-Y is in order. You _did_ get an estimate, no?

A.M. Wood

Always agree on a price before labor and material purchases begin.

TeamCasa

Caveat Emptor

It makes a difference where you live and what/who you know. If the
electrician is a neighbor, relative expect a small charge. However, if the
guy has to drive 75 miles in the snow bound tundra the price will certainly
reflect this time.

I have a friend who is an electrician, the price goes up if the customer
insists on helping!

Morale: Always get an estimate before allowing an work to be done.

Dave

[...]

http://www.usenet.com
Phisherman

You need to get an estimate. I had an electrician (a friend from
someone at work) to hook up my shop subpanel to main and check all
circuits I installed. He took about 40 minutes. For his work, I
agreed to give him a used Radar range oven which he needed. We both
felt like we got a good deal.
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Ouch!!!! I just installed my own subpanel and 220V run for around $75 (the
biggest
expense was the breakers). Live and learn I suppose.
Cheers,
cc

Swingman

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message

Knowing what I know now, I'd have done the job myself the next time.

Never seems to be any rhyme or reason to it. Get an entire two story house
wired for $7500, labor and materials, then call them out to add ten feet of
under cabinet circuit the architect forgot, at the end of an already
existing run, and they want a tenth of the total price for the ten feet.

And _always_ be on guard when you see an electrician with a drill in his
hand. For some reason the breed never seems to look on the other side to see
what the hell may be there.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Patriarch

"Swingman" wrote in
:
snip
And _always_ be on guard when you see an electrician with a drill in
his hand. For some reason the breed never seems to look on the other
side to see what the hell may be there.

Is that like the old adage "Beware the programmer who carries a
screwdriver?"

Robert Bonomi

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in
:
snip
And _always_ be on guard when you see an electrician with a drill in
his hand. For some reason the breed never seems to look on the other
side to see what the hell may be there.

Is that like the old adage "Beware the programmer who carries a
screwdriver?"

The connundrum: "Which is more dangerous, the hardware engineer with the
'root password', or the software engineer with a screwdriver?"

(it is wise to beware of *either* one!!
mac davis

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:30:39 -0500, Eddie Munster
wrote:

should have bought him dinner, too.. *g*

Did he at least kiss you????

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bob G.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:58:44 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

Man, did my ass get smoked this morning. I called an electrician to install
220V service in my garage for my new bandsaw. He had to move one breaker to the
top of the box to free up two spaces in the bottom of the box. Then he had to
string some cable up between some open studs and drill through the top plate in
order to run the cable down another open stud in a more convenient spot, then
install an outlet. He also replaced the 7' cord that came with my bandsaw with
another that would actually reach. The price: $547 !!!

I thought I was going to ****.

-------------------------
I am not an electrician... BUT I did run a business for years

Just what did you expect to pay ...?

I know I would be paying for the electrician, the truck he drove up
in, the tepephone in the office, the guy who answered the phone when I
called, the insurance on the truck and on the workers health, the heat
for the office etc...and the list goes on....

My guess is that it took the electrician a couple of hours hours...ON
SITE... I would have smiled at a $400.00 bill

Bob Griffiths

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Bob G. wrote:
Just what did you expect to pay ...?

I really had no idea what it would cost. None. I guess I thought it would be
$250-$300. $550 kind of cleared my sinuses.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

George

"Bob G." wrote in message

The price: $547 !!!

I thought I was going to ****.

-------------------------
I am not an electrician... BUT I did run a business for years

Just what did you expect to pay ...?

I know I would be paying for the electrician, the truck he drove up
in, the tepephone in the office, the guy who answered the phone when I
called, the insurance on the truck and on the workers health, the heat
for the office etc...and the list goes on....

My guess is that it took the electrician a couple of hours hours...ON
SITE... I would have smiled at a $400.00 bill

I only paid $150/hour for a guy to climb the towers and change lightbulbs!
A job I would _never_ do myself.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:27:12 -0500, George george@least wrote:

I only paid $150/hour for a guy to climb the towers and change lightbulbs!
A job I would _never_ do myself.

How high of a tower? 60 feet, I don't mind. More than that, maybe.

Dave
Pat Barber

I'm like you ,BUT...how much time was the guy there ???

Service calls usually have a minimum and then a hourly
rate on top of that.They call it "windshield time" and
next time "ASK questions"....

In your area of NC, contractors are getting TOP dollar
for just being there...

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I really had no idea what it would cost. None. I guess I thought it would be
$250-$300. $550 kind of cleared my sinuses.

George

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:27:12 -0500, George george@least wrote:

I only paid $150/hour for a guy to climb the towers and change

lightbulbs!
A job I would _never_ do myself.

How high of a tower? 60 feet, I don't mind. More than that, maybe.

Dave

Up to 1000, normal 200-400. Business sold, but there's money in climbing
for a fool.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:46:48 -0500, George george@least wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:27:12 -0500, George george@least wrote:

I only paid $150/hour for a guy to climb the towers and change

lightbulbs!
A job I would _never_ do myself.

How high of a tower? 60 feet, I don't mind. More than that, maybe.

Dave

Up to 1000, normal 200-400. Business sold, but there's money in climbing
for a fool.

That's beyond my tolerance. I don't mind heights, and a logical
thinker would realize that 1000 feet kills you as dead as 200 feet,
but...yeah, here's some money, please go do that for me.

Silvan

George wrote:

Up to 1000, normal 200-400. Business sold, but there's money in climbing
for a fool.

I like climbing. I'd love to earn $150 an hour. How can I get paid $150 an
hour to change light bulbs?

(I'd be more worried about lightning than falling. Lightning would be bad.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Rob Jones

Hey, I resemble that remark! I'm a programmer and I have lots of
screwdrivers...never killed anyone yet with the screwdrivers or my
software....

rob

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:47:41 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in
:
snip
And _always_ be on guard when you see an electrician with a drill in
his hand. For some reason the breed never seems to look on the other
side to see what the hell may be there.

Is that like the old adage "Beware the programmer who carries a
screwdriver?"

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Rob Jones wrote:
Hey, I resemble that remark! I'm a programmer and I have lots of
screwdrivers...never killed anyone yet with the screwdrivers or my
software....

There's probably been a few that wanted to kill you though... G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Paul in MN

So anyway, now that you've had time to heal, and you can finally sit
down; how is the new saw? I saw one at Woodcraft in the cities & was
intrigued.

P.