DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Any disadvantage of 12" SCMS versus 10" SCMS (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/91223-any-disadvantage-12%22-scms-versus-10%22-scms.html)

[email protected] February 14th 05 11:51 PM

Any disadvantage of 12" SCMS versus 10" SCMS

Am looking at either Bosch or Makita 10 or 12" SCMS to finish the trim
and flooring in a house I am building. Is there any disadvantage to
using a 12" versus a 10" other than cost and a bit more weight.

Am installing some fairly wide cove molding - thought the 12" might
come in handy.

Wess February 15th 05 03:06 AM

Go with the 10" saws, the 12's deflect too much for my liking. Cut your
crown on the flat, a much better way to do it anyway.

[email protected] February 15th 05 03:55 AM

FWIW, my Hitachi 8½" SCMS will cut 12". Of course, the diameter also
limits the height capacity. Hitachi has a new 10" that you might want
to consider. Plus they were making sliders before Bosch or Makita
IIRC.

Mike

toolguy February 15th 05 04:08 AM

I'd go with the 12" if I was buying again. I've got the 10" Makita.
Great saw but I have needed to cut past it's limits many times. I
would not hesitate on the 12" if I had the cash and space.

Neil

[email protected] February 15th 05 07:16 AM

Keep an eye out for the Dewalt dual bevel. I picked up a refurb for
$209 at a WW show. For that price, I guess it's OK. I had sold my
Hitachi 8.5" SCMS in favor of a CMS that can be place on a 24" wide
bench. The sliders take another 6" or so.