WD

Default How to Determine Grits Size?

Repost again, original did not show up.

Is there a simple way to determine the grits size of sharpening stone without
the original boxes etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Charles Krug

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:04:40 -0600, WD wrote:

Repost again, original did not show up.

Is there a simple way to determine the grits size of sharpening stone without
the original boxes etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Sure. Put it under a microscope with a calibrated reticle and measure
it, then compare the size of the grains to one of the abrasive industry
standards.

Simple.
8-)

More practicle for home use might be to try working some mild steel and
see what sort of finish it gives compared to your other stones.

The fact that I sand 80-100-120-150-180 is really only a convenience.
The essential information is "start coarse, end fine."

So long as you have a handle on how it compares to your other stones,
that's all you need to know.

WD

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:27:41 GMT, Charles Krug wrote:

Thank you for the advice. I bought a few of these stones from estate sales
and it is easy to tell an oilstone or waterstone by traces of oil. How do you
compare "coarse" and "fine" when you have no reference? I estimate the stones
maybe 1000 grits or above from ex-woodworkers' basement and one of the oilstone
is red color "Norton".

Anymore suggestion? Thanks again.

More practicle for home use might be to try working some mild steel and
see what sort of finish it gives compared to your other stones.

The fact that I sand 80-100-120-150-180 is really only a convenience.
The essential information is "start coarse, end fine."

So long as you have a handle on how it compares to your other stones,
that's all you need to know.

Buddy Matlosz

From the subject, I thought this was a post on Southern cooking.

B.

Charles Krug

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:58:10 -0600, WD wrote:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:27:41 GMT, Charles Krug wrote:

How do you compare "coarse" and "fine" when you have no
reference?

Exactly how I suggested he

More practical for home use might be to try working some mild steel and
see what sort of finish it gives compared to your other stones.

So what kind of finish do they give when you use them?

Dave in Fairfax

Buddy Matlosz wrote:
From the subject, I thought this was a post on Southern cooking.

I hear that. My answer is bust some sausage on top, sprinkle some
cheese, a bit of butter and chew. Swallow when it gets to be the
right size.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Jay Pique

Charles Krug wrote:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:58:10 -0600, WD wrote:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:27:41 GMT, Charles Krug wrote:

How do you compare "coarse" and "fine" when you have no
reference?

Exactly how I suggested he

Sharp is sharp. Grab a 4x glass and keep checking things out. I go
from 220 for reshaping (unless they are a *disaster*) to 600 to 1000,
1500 and then 2000 on microabrasive paper. After the 220ing it goes
real quick.

More practical for home use might be to try working some mild steel and
see what sort of finish it gives compared to your other stones.

So what kind of finish do they give when you use them?

600 gives you a wierd sort of grayish mirror, the 1000, 1500 and 2k
really bring out the luster of my burnt umber nose-hairs.

JP