Jeff Cooper

Default ### micro-FAQ on wood # 031

I think the point that was being made was to avoid using a wood like
oleander for a cutting board.

I think stating that ALL woods are dangerous to eat also seems a bit
extreme. After all, a tree is just a plant and we eat plants all of the
time. Granted, there are toxic plants (and hence trees) but then we
don't eat all plants, just some of them.

Do you know of any studies that show comsuming wood is dangerous?

Jeff

JRYezierski wrote:
Ignore the Q:What wood to use for cutting board?
You can use exotics as a higlighter wood.
ALL WOODS are dangerous to eat so the aurgument for not using them is
streching the point. A person not not ingest anywood no matter what type it
is.
Use any tight grained hardwood,treat with a vigge/mineral oil and beeswax
mixture and you will be alreight.

Q: What wood to use for a cutting board?
A: Maple, or something similar (any lightcolored hardwood, with a high
density and a fine structure, e.g. beech, birch, etc). Not to be
recommended
are exotic hardwoods: their high degree of durability is because they
contain significant concentrations of exotic substances lethal to lots of
organisms. These substances are best avoided in food. The issue is
especially relevant when cooking for guests or children.

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

Q: A Live Oak is an oak that has not been cut down yet. Right?
A: False. A Live Oak is another name for an evergreen oak.

I have to disagree with you on that one. We have live and willow
oaks here in Maryland and they are not evergreen. There is also
a California live oak (which grows in California!) that looks
like a holly with acorns on it. It is evergreen.

--

FF

AAvK

"JRYezierski" wrote in message ...
Ignore the Q:What wood to use for cutting board?
You can use exotics as a higlighter wood.
ALL WOODS are dangerous to eat so the aurgument for not using them is streching the point. A person not not ingest anywood no
matter what type it is.
Use any tight grained hardwood,treat with a vigge/mineral oil and beeswax mixture and you will be alreight.

It's not about ingesting "the wood itself"... its the chemical in the
wood. You just don't use certain woods for salad bowls, even as dry.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

Mr. PvR can you help me identify a tree? It is an oak that
grows in California in more arrid places, it's branches are
real thick and "crooky" going in every direction in simple
patterns from a short, fat trunk. The leaves are very small,
about 1-1/2 inches long at the most, 3/4 inch wide, and a
hard and dark green shiny surface. There are either 7 or 9
very sharp and hard points sticking out of the edges,
including the one that is straight out from the center, as a
point on the tip of the leaf, hence the odd number of them.

This tree is deciduous like crazy, but it is a very hard as a
rock wood that is white to light grey with wide fat grain to
finer outer grain and not soft at all. A lot of it winds-up to
be firewood in California... I looked at Ca. oaks online
anywhere I could find links but I cannot find this common
tree. It is not blue oak nor is it black oak, do you know the
regular and scientific names for it?

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Will

Gary Oak?

Like the stuff that grows on the Gulf Islands? Or similar to it?

AAvK wrote:
[...]

Occasional Techno-geek

AAvK wrote:
[...]

Sounds like California live oak to me.

--

FF

Patriarch

Will wrote in newszVOd.27359$Ub4.1258790
@news20.bellglobal.com:

AAvK wrote:
[...]

Valley oak. Beautiful tree. Not furniture or cabinet wood. Moves like
crazy. Twists, checks, cracks, splits. Hard as heck to turn, due to
movement and interlocking grain.

These are considered heritage trees in their range, in suburban northern
California. But when they come down, they can be deadly and/or
expensive. Also susceptible to sudden oak death...

www.diablowoodworkers.com will be doing a show this summer using wood
from a particularly old tree that had to come down in Concord, CA 18
months ago, as part of the 100 year celebration of the city. If I have
time, I may have a small piece in the show.

Patriarch
Will

Sounds similar to Gary Oak - evergreen , grows on the Islands, gnarly,
twisty and just plain rude to tourists.

If I can find a picture, I may post it for you to look at. I know I took
some of the Gary Oak. It sounds like the trees are at least first
cousins if not closer. :-)

Gary Oak are relatively small though. Of coarse anything looks small
when there is a W. Red Cedar near it. :-))

AAvK wrote:

Valley oak. Beautiful tree. Not furniture or cabinet wood. Moves like
crazy. Twists, checks, cracks, splits. Hard as heck to turn, due to
movement and interlocking grain.

These are considered heritage trees in their range, in suburban northern
California. But when they come down, they can be deadly and/or
expensive. Also susceptible to sudden oak death...

www.diablowoodworkers.com will be doing a show this summer using wood
from a particularly old tree that had to come down in Concord, CA 18
months ago, as part of the 100 year celebration of the city. If I have
time, I may have a small piece in the show.

Patriarch

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

P van Rijckevorsel

AAvK wrote:
[...]

schreef
Sounds like California live oak to me.
FF

***
_Quercus agrifolia_ looks like the prime candidate to me, too. See:
http://dlp.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_q...a_sci&enlarge=
7335+3182+4653+0052

However, California has twenty native species of oak.
Leaf size and spinyness can vary even within one and the same tree.
So, anything is possible. It is not unlikely that what is described here as
one widely occurring species is three or more species.
PvR

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

***
_Quercus agrifolia_ looks like the prime candidate to me, too. See:

http://dlp.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_q...a_sci&enlarge=
7335+3182+4653+0052

However, California has twenty native species of oak.
Leaf size and spinyness can vary even within one and the same tree.
So, anything is possible. It is not unlikely that what is described

here as
one widely occurring species is three or more species.
PvR

I've read here on the rec that oaks readily hybridize in the wild,
Is this true of the Californai species?

--

FF

P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
_Quercus agrifolia_ looks like the prime candidate to me, too. See:

http://dlp.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_q...a_sci&enlarge=
7335+3182+4653+0052

However, California has twenty native species of oak.
Leaf size and spinyness can vary even within one and the same tree.
So, anything is possible. It is not unlikely that what is described

here as one widely occurring species is three or more species.
PvR

schreef
I've read here on the rec that oaks readily hybridize in the wild,
Is this true of the California species?
FF

***
In California apparently more so than elsewhere.
PvR

AAvK

_Quercus agrifolia_ looks like the prime candidate to me, too. See:
http://dlp.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_q...a_sci&enlarge=
7335+3182+4653+0052
However, California has twenty native species of oak.
Leaf size and spinyness can vary even within one and the same tree.
So, anything is possible. It is not unlikely that what is described here as
one widely occurring species is three or more species.
PvR

Thanks but I think that is not it... the leaves are darker green, smaller, harder
and shinier in a more definitive shape than that, with less spikes sticking out.
Between each point is a more evenly arched concave curve. The leaves in the
photo look softer and larger. Mine is a very crude tree.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Q: A Live Oak is an oak that has not been cut down yet. Right?
A: False. A Live Oak is another name for an evergreen oak.

schreef
I have to disagree with you on that one. We have live and willow
oaks here in Maryland and they are not evergreen.

***
Willow oak is a white oak.
Live oaks are not supposed to occur in Maryland but only up to Virginia.
Perhaps they behave atypically at the edge of the range, and beyond?
PvR

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Q: A Live Oak is an oak that has not been cut down yet. Right?
A: False. A Live Oak is another name for an evergreen oak.

schreef
I have to disagree with you on that one. We have live and willow
oaks here in Maryland and they are not evergreen.

***
Willow oak is a white oak.

And by some reckoning live oak is a red oak.

Some divide oaks into two 'species groups', red and white.
Others divide oaks into four 'species groups', red, white, chestnut
oak, and live and willow oaks, grouping the live and willow oaks
together.

I've never seen anyone separate live oak from red and white, and
not spearate willow and chestnut oak at the same time, befor this
discussion.

Clearly how one chooses to bin them depends on largely subjective
choices as to how to weight their characteristics.

Live oaks are not supposed to occur in Maryland but only up to

Virginia.
Perhaps they behave atypically at the edge of the range, and beyond?

I had thought they were found well up into Pennsylvania. They are
definately found in the woods around Greenbelt, MD as well as being
popular in town. I have two small volunteers (currently without
leaves) in my back yard.

Maybe they were planted locally so long back in time that they have
spread to the woods outside of their natural range. Certainly the
biggest oaks in the woods are white or red oaks, I've only seen
live oaks among the younger parts of the woods where I'd estimate
the oldest trees are only 60 - 70 years old, but there are some
very big ones in town.

--

FF

P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Q: A Live Oak is an oak that has not been cut down yet. Right?
A: False. A Live Oak is another name for an evergreen oak.

schreef

I have to disagree with you on that one. We have live and willow
oaks here in Maryland and they are not evergreen.

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Willow oak is a white oak.

schreef
And by some reckoning live oak is a red oak.

***
Oops, that was not right
Willow oak is a red oak
* * *

Some divide oaks into two 'species groups', red and white.
Others divide oaks into four 'species groups', red, white, chestnut
oak, and live and willow oaks, grouping the live and willow oaks
together.

I've never seen anyone separate live oak from red and white, and
not separate willow and chestnut oak at the same time, befor this
discussion.

***
Well, chestnut oak is a white oak, that I am sure of.
As to what its scientific name should be is rather controversial.

I usually treat the oaks in three groups, red, white and live oaks, as those
are the groups I am seeing in the wood. Indeed they keep changing the number
of groups in the oak-genus, and I must admit I am not keeping up. Actually
there are a number of species that keep being in/excluded in/from Quercus. I
am not really that interested as long as there are a fair number of people
who vehemently disagree on the groupings. Oak taxonomists admit that it is
all very difficult. I did see the latest way of subdividing Quercus but I am
afraid I forgot about it as soon as I closed the book.

This should be one of the better treatments:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.as...axon_id=127839
BTW: They call Quercus virginana a "subevergreen" tree or shrub
* * *

Clearly how one chooses to bin them depends on largely subjective

choices as to how to weight their characteristics.

***
It is a little more complicated than that, but certainly we are not out of
the woods yet
* * *

Live oaks are not supposed to occur in Maryland but only up to

Virginia.
Perhaps they behave atypically at the edge of the range, and beyond?

I had thought they were found well up into Pennsylvania.

***
Not according to the books and the USDA website
http://plants.usda.gov/
* * *

They are
definately found in the woods around Greenbelt, MD as well as being
popular in town. I have two small volunteers (currently without
leaves) in my back yard.

***
Maybe they did not read the books ;-)
* * *

Maybe they were planted locally so long back in time that they have
spread to the woods outside of their natural range. Certainly the
biggest oaks in the woods are white or red oaks, I've only seen
live oaks among the younger parts of the woods where I'd estimate
the oldest trees are only 60 - 70 years old, but there are some
very big ones in town.

--

FF

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:29:38 +0100, the inscrutable "P van
Rijckevorsel" spake:

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

Q: A Live Oak is an oak that has not been cut down yet. Right?
A: False. A Live Oak is another name for an evergreen oak.

schreef

I have to disagree with you on that one. We have live and willow
oaks here in Maryland and they are not evergreen.

We had live oaks everywhere in LoCal and they were evergreen.
Climate is everything.

They are
definately found in the woods around Greenbelt, MD as well as being
popular in town. I have two small volunteers (currently without
leaves) in my back yard.

***
Maybe they did not read the books ;-)
* * *

Trees, being totally illiterate, are VERY bad in that manner.
But their grace easily makes up for it, don't you agree?

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

dzine

And to hopefully bring an end to what was a most brave attempt by P van
Rijckevorsel (cut and paste) i believe in the UK we call the evergreen
oak the Holm Oak.

P van Rijckevorsel

dzine schreef
And to hopefully bring an end to what was a most brave attempt by P van
Rijckevorsel (cut and paste) i believe in the UK we call the evergreen
oak the Holm Oak.

***
Even that needs to be qualified a little.
A quick browse through my UK books shows:
If "Holm Oak" is used (formerly "Holme Oak"?) then it refers alway to
_Quercus ilex_ which obviously is the best-known evergreen oak in the UK.
However this species is sometimes referred to as Live Oak, in spite of the
fact that when Live Oak is used for a single species it will most usually
refer to _Quercus virginiana_. In the UK as well as as elsewhere "Live Oak"
is used to refer to the evergreen oaks in general.

Another wellknown Live (or evergreen) Oak is the Cork Oak
(_Quercus suber_), but there are plenty more, even in Europe.
PvR