Default Newbie wants some tools

I am just starting out in the world of woodworking and I'm quite
excited. I'm in the process of building some shelves for my closet.
After making a nice trip to Home Depot a couple of days ago for wood,
clamps, glue, etc., I have $135 left to spend. After letting you know
what I already have, I'll ask your opinion on what I should get next
tool-wise.

I already have a Skil circular saw that I used to cut up the MDF for
the shelves. It wasn't the easiest, but then again, it wasn't until
after I finished the cutting that I read an article about a cutting
guide. Needless to say, I'm not sure all my cuts are square. =)

I also have a router that is, from what I can tell, a piece of junk. My
dad, out of best intentions, I'm sure, got it from Harbor Freight and
gave it to me for Christmas last year. I tried using it for the first
time last night and couldn't have been more frustrated. It mostly
stemmed from the fact that the cutting depth gauge has no relation to
the cutting depth and the springs that allow the plunge are extremely
tight. A few times, I thought I would break the wood right off the
working surface just trying to plunge the thing. It is the first router
I've ever held, so I have no comparison, but if my hunches are correct,
it should be an easier tool to work with.

I also have a nice cordless drill and some random woodworking utilities
(combination square, measuring tape, etc.)

Now, as I said I have $135 to spend on something. Money is extremely
tight, so that amount will go up only about $25/month if I need to save
up for something. I am really itching to get into some sawdust-making
(my grandfather was a cabinet-maker by trade. I think it's in my blood)
and am wondering where to put my money. At first I thought that a new
router would be beneficial, but then I started to wonder about a cheap
table saw. I've also looked at bandsaws. What would be the most
beneficial thing for me to get (even if it ins't one of those three
things)? What would be the suggested order of purchasing? Should I save
up for awhile and get something specific, or is there something
beneficial to buy that would fit into my $135 budget?

I know that the money is tight, and I am not going to go into debt,
period. I believe that this could be a pretty big hobby for me in the
future, so I also want something beneficial in the long run.

Enough of my ramblings. Commence opinionations..........NOW!
-geoffrey

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I already have a Skil circular saw that I used to cut up the MDF for
the shelves.

B e sure to use a good center upport. MDF sags easily. You can put a wood
strip on the front to add some flexural strenght though.

It wasn't the easiest, but then again, it wasn't until
after I finished the cutting that I read an article about a cutting
guide. Needless to say, I'm not sure all my cuts are square. =)

OK, you know you need a cutting guide.

Go to www.patwarner.com

I also have a nice cordless drill and some random woodworking utilities
(combination square, measuring tape, etc.)

Now, as I said I have $135 to spend on something. Money is extremely
tight, so that amount will go up only about $25/month if I need to save
up for something.

What would be the suggested order of purchasing? Should I save
up for awhile and get something specific, or is there something
beneficial to buy that would fit into my $135 budget?

What do you need? Save up until you NEED a tool and you will have the money
for it. One easily overlooked tools is a good set of clamps. You will NEED
at least two. First ones should be a minimum of 24", prefferably the 31" if
you are makig a bookcase of cabinet.

I know that the money is tight, and I am not going to go into debt,
period. I believe that this could be a pretty big hobby for me in the
future, so I also want something beneficial in the long run.

Visit www.leevalley.com Lots of quality tools and idea. The saddle square
is one of the handiest tools I have and it is about $10. Maybe get a few
brad point drill bits.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Lobby Dosser

" wrote:

I also have a router that is, from what I can tell, a piece of junk. My
dad, out of best intentions, I'm sure, got it from Harbor Freight and
gave it to me for Christmas last year. I tried using it for the first
time last night and couldn't have been more frustrated. It mostly
stemmed from the fact that the cutting depth gauge has no relation to
the cutting depth and the springs that allow the plunge are extremely
tight. A few times, I thought I would break the wood right off the
working surface just trying to plunge the thing. It is the first router
I've ever held, so I have no comparison, but if my hunches are correct,
it should be an easier tool to work with.

Measure the cutting depth using your combination square, not anything on
the router. Are you sure that the plunge is *completely* unlocked? A
partially locked plunge will act like a tight spring.

Have you thought about spending some of your remaining funds on a book or
two, perhaps a magazine subscription, or even a class at a local
community college? Another option is demos and mini classes at local
woodworking merchants, or even Home Depot. All of the above might help
you make better spending decisions.

Good luck and have fun.

LD
toolguy

When you do decide on a tool you'd like to acquire, look to buy it
used. Typically you can get a used tool for 1/2 the original selling
price (totally generalizing, YMMV). You can stretch your tight budget
a long way this way. Higher quality tools will outlast most of us so
your not sacrificing anything.

Neil

Dave Jackson

What tools you need to buy next are dependant to what your future projects
will be. For example, if you planned on making your own lumber for these
projects, a chain saw would be in order. If you're renovating your home,
most of the lumber you get will be milled and you just have to cut it to
fit, so a good miter saw would be handy. What are your future goals? We'll
get ya started. --dave

"toolguy" wrote in message
ps.com...
When you do decide on a tool you'd like to acquire, look to buy it
used. Typically you can get a used tool for 1/2 the original selling
price (totally generalizing, YMMV). You can stretch your tight budget
a long way this way. Higher quality tools will outlast most of us so
your not sacrificing anything.

Neil

WD

On 5 Feb 2005 18:24:42 -0800, "toolguy" wrote:

There are many sources to buy good, cheap used tools without sacrificing your
arm or leg.

1. Estate sales - Probably one of the best place. Check your local papers or web
sites. You might not find newer used power tools or machineries. You could still
find drill bits, hand files (old one made in USA), forester bits, power drills
(very old). if you are lucky you might find newer good condition, circular saw,
belt sander, table saw, radial saw and various type sanders.

2. Garage Sales - Sometimes you might find good used tools at a bargain. I once
bought two new grinding wheels for $1 a pieces.

3. Auction - probably a good place to buy used newer tools. Table saw, jointer,
planer, router etc..

http://www.kcauctiontrackers.com/
http://www.estatesales.net/default.aspx

4. Sample sales - Another good source of new unused sandpapers, small tools,
locks, hinges etc. I bought a whole bunch of #0000 sandpapers at a fraction of
its original price,

5. Flea market - Bought a 1hp 8" bench grinder for $10, a few hand planes.

6. Antique store - Bought two good condition still useable very old Stanley
planes for $20 each..

When you do decide on a tool you'd like to acquire, look to buy it
used. Typically you can get a used tool for 1/2 the original selling
price (totally generalizing, YMMV). You can stretch your tight budget
a long way this way. Higher quality tools will outlast most of us so
your not sacrificing anything.

Neil

Phisherman

With so little money, I recommend gaining skills with hand tools. A
good set of chisels for $100 and a sharpening stone will go a long
way. Until you can afford to get a DC, use power tools sparingly.
Buy quality tools as you need them.

On 5 Feb 2005 16:32:25 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts. A few of my own:

1) I did already purchase some clamps on my Home Depot run. I bought 3
36" and 3 24" Quick-Grips. I figured that those were going to be pretty
high on the priority list.

2) jo4hn and Lobby - I hadn't thought of classes. My schedule is psycho
right now (have a 6-week old girl -- my first), but that's a good
thought for the future.

3) I do have a subscription to WOOD magazine, which I eagerly await. It
seems every project they have is geared towards readers with table
saws. Can these cuts be made with circular saws as well? Any other
magazine subscription recommendations?

4) Lobby - I think the plunge on the router is completely unlocked. I
don't think the little handle will go up anymore =). I will take a look
at it, though. Any other thoughts as to the router being super springy?

5) toolguy and WD - Used is definitely something I'd be interested in.
It's pretty funny but I saw toolguy's post and was going to ask where
some good sources of used tools were, then I saw WD's post. Great
information from both of you. Much obliged.

6) Dave and the rest - My future goals are pretty cloudy right now. I
can say that I'm not interested in anything having to do with a whole
tree. =) Basically, I'd like to buy lumber at a yard or store, then
make it into something. So unless a tree falls in my backyard, I have
no plans on using a chainsaw. Also, I'm in a new house that doesn't
really have anything to fix up yet, so I'm not doing anything major to
the house itself. Now what I don't have is furniture and storage. I am
hugely interested in building bookcases, entertainment centers,
shelves, tables, etc., basically most things that are currently over my
head. =) Most of the time, I am interested in the practical things.
But, for some reason, I also have an intense love of little boxes. So,
it would be nice to make a little box (jewelry or other kind)
occasionally as well. And of course, projects for the shop itself are
always on my mind.

7) Phisherman - When I was coming over here to post a reply, I was, in
fact, going to ask about hand tools. I know that they would increase my
abilities and get me to think about things more as I work. I believe
they would also slow me down enough to learn about the wood itself. Are
there certain things I should look for in hand tools (and chisels in
particular)? Are there brands that are better than others? Sources?
Finally, with a bit of new-guy embarrassment, what is a DC?

Finally, I am stuck right now in my shelving project because of the
router issue. I was going to join things with rabbets and dados, since
those seemed easy with what I had. Now, without a router (or until I
can figure out what is wrong with mine), I'm not sure I can continue.
Is there a good way to cut rabbets/dados with a circular saw? What
about with hand tools? Can you even use hand tools in MDF?

Thanks so much for all your help. I appreciate the willingness to find
out what's best for me and not just blurt out a certain product or tell
me to get a side job to make more money to buy X table saw for $1900.

-geoffrey

Lobby Dosser

" wrote:

4) Lobby - I think the plunge on the router is completely unlocked. I
don't think the little handle will go up anymore =). I will take a look
at it, though. Any other thoughts as to the router being super springy?

I'd take it apart and see if there is something binding. You should have
some resistance, but it should not need excessive pressure. Do you have a
model number?

LD

DonkeyHody

I believe that this could be a pretty big hobby for me in the
future, so I also want something beneficial in the long run.

I'd suggest your next purchase should be a Black & Decker Workmate. Go
ahead and spring for the big one, it's about $100. It's something
you'll use on every single project for many years. And it will make
your work easier and less frustrating. You'll be seriously deep into
woodworking before you outgrow it.

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

3) I do have a subscription to WOOD magazine, which I eagerly await. It
seems every project they have is geared towards readers with table
saws. Can these cuts be made with circular saws as well? Any other
magazine subscription recommendations?

Many of the cuts can be made with a circular saw and an edge guide. For
most of us, the tablesaw is the center of the workshop. A really good one
will cost $750 and up. Waaay up. That $135 will get you a used one though.
Maybe not a top of the line, but enough saw to get by with for a few years.
I don't advocate buying cheap tools, but, this is a relatively small
investment that will help you decide if wood working is going to be a long
term hobby, will allow you to do the cuts that are easiest with a table saw,
will help you in deciding what feature you want in the final big saw you
buy, and will still have some re-sale value when you do upgrade. Most weeks
our local shopping paper has a few used saws lited. Most are cheap
Craftsman, bt the price is ften $100. Take a look at a $200 saw at Sears
just so you know what the value of a used one may be. Sometimes people try
to sell at the price they paid and are no bargain.

6) . Also, I'm in a new house that doesn't
really have anything to fix up yet, so I'm not doing anything major to
the house itself. Now what I don't have is furniture and storage. I am
hugely interested in building bookcases, entertainment centers,
shelves, tables, etc., basically most things that are currently over my
head. =)

Good way to get started and to learn. I saw a bookcase in WalMart for $28.
It was partical board with a covering. For only twice that money you could
buy real wood and make your own. Keep in mind this is not a hobby to save
money for utilitarian items, but it is a way to make exactly what YOU want.

Most of the time, I am interested in the practical things.
But, for some reason, I also have an intense love of little boxes. So,
it would be nice to make a little box (jewelry or other kind)
occasionally as well. And of course, projects for the shop itself are
always on my mind.

Boxes are a hobby unto their own. Make nice gifts also.

Finally, with a bit of new-guy embarrassment, what is a DC?

Dust Collector

Now, without a router (or until I
can figure out what is wrong with mine), I'm not sure I can continue.
Is there a good way to cut rabbets/dados with a circular saw? What
about with hand tools? Can you even use hand tools in MDF?

MDF has adhesives that can be hell on had tools.

Thanks so much for all your help. I appreciate the willingness to find
out what's best for me and not just blurt out a certain product or tell
me to get a side job to make more money to buy X table saw for $1900.

Nah, you can get a very good saw for $1000. Get a paper route?

AAvK

I suggest this set of chisels:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...504,43500&ap=1
those are a great deal for the quality and how many you get for the price.
Then on eBay, a nice condition Stanley #5 handplane and a decent Stanley
60 1/2 low angle block plane. make sure they have good blade length. You
need a workbench to plane on, with something solid to place the end of
your wood up against. No pun intended!

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

WD

On 5 Feb 2005 21:13:40 -0800, " wrote:

Try this site, get a feel how much a very good used woodworking machine will
cost. Boy, do they have good old "American made" woodworking machines!

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_sea...lts.asp?ind=50

[...]

WD

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:19:48 -0600, WD wrote:

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_sea...lts.asp?ind=50

Wanna Yates for $175??

YATES AMERICAN Y-36 36” BAND SAW
Closes: 2/8/05 1:30 PM EST
Jasper, AL
Current Bid = $175

[...]

AAvK

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_sea...lts.asp?ind=50
Wanna Yates for $175?? YATES AMERICAN Y-36 36" BAND SAW
Closes: 2/8/05 1:30 PM EST
Jasper, AL
Current Bid = $175

That's massive! That is a big damn band saw.

But the page you gave shows no results.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

WD

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:15:52 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

OK try this http://www.irsauctions.com/index.asp?bhcp=1
Then click on "Search All Auctions" on the top left hand blue bar.
Go down and selection "Saw" and click on "Table Saws" and click on "Submit
Search" and now which table you wanna bid?

The Usual Disclaimer... no relation to IRS at all

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_sea...lts.asp?ind=50
Wanna Yates for $175?? YATES AMERICAN Y-36 36" BAND SAW
Closes: 2/8/05 1:30 PM EST
Jasper, AL
Current Bid = $175

That's massive! That is a big damn band saw.

But the page you gave shows no results.

Richard Clements

save your self some money and get clamps at Harbor Freight when there on
sale, there not quite as good as my Bascos but when there on sale for $3
for a 30" vs $14 for the Basco or it's well worth the price also also get
the rubber pad covers that'll help prevent denting some of there pipe
clamps are decent as well, HF is a great place to save money if you know
what your looking for, and they have amazing sales all the time

wrote:

[...]

Will

That budget is a tough one... Time to visit auctions and keep the bids
down...

The best money I have spent is on good gauges and squares. But even that
would blow your budget. The gauges and squares allow you to judge the
accuracy of your work and strive for improvement.

For example - I have a Stanley combination square - should have bought
the Starrets -- when I had the money.

Got a set of angle gauges (blocks of metal with precise angles) from Lee
Valley -- to set up the saws correctly -- now I waste less wood and sand
and plane a lot less now. Also -- with the saws set correctly -- I can
do some projects quickly that were very difficult before.

Go to auctions and be frugal - not cheap. :-)

Been there with that budget - gave up lots of luxuries to get better tools.

Before you spend a lot cruise

http://www.leevalley.com

They have just about everything a woodworker could want.

Then make a list of the fundamental tools and get them as you can spring
a few bucks over time. Spend the money to get something to build a
clearly defined project. Preferably choose projects that require things
you will use repeatedly.

Find a friend with a table saw and figure out what you can trade for
some help and some time. If they have a band saw as well treat them real
nice - cause you can re-saw lumber and bring down your wood costs.

And as someone said - take a wood working course that allows you to use
the shop tools.

Money -- wisely used -- can bring a lot of happiness. :-) The problem is
achieving the wisdom to know how to spend it. You can achieve wisdom by
learning and thinking - or making mistakes and learning from them --
different strokes for different folks.

And before you wreck wood, finish it wrong, or break tools -- read the
posts in this group - and ask if you cannot find the question already
answered.

Learned hundreds of things here that would not have occurred to me...

wrote:
[...]

Occasional Techno-geek

Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems I am leaning more towards
the hand tools at this point. Is everyone in agreement, however, that
hand tools are not that great with MDF? What about other manufactured
boards?

-g

Ray

Go to HD, Lowes, and Sears Hardware on a regular basis. Look for the
clearance rack/pile and go back often. You never know when you will get
lucky.

--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net