Robert Allison

Default And now for something a little different

This is a site for handmade coffins. I am not in any way
affilitated with this place, just thought it might be some
inspiration for someone who is looking for (hopefully) a long term
project to work on and just can't come up with anything.

http://www.cowboyslastride.com/

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Matthew

Having a cabinetmaker father, Mennonite grandparents, and Amish
greatgrandparents, I had the teenage experience of building coffins for
several relatives. It is a good way to deal with the loss of a loved one,
thru building a resting place for their body. And it is a chance to see
people you rarely see. A few family members would get together and were
done a day and at the funeral the next.

My grandmother's was white oak, with straight sides and six handles -- I
think it weighed more than she did. My dad's dad wanted cherry; he picked
out the stock at 93, three years before. That was a bit more complex as he
wanted a "coffin" shaped coffin.

I don't know if this (building coffins) was a tradition (religion, Iowa, or
otherwise) or just because woodworking ran in the family.

Matthew

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
This is a site for handmade coffins. I am not in any way affilitated with
this place, just thought it might be some inspiration for someone who is
looking for (hopefully) a long term project to work on and just can't come
up with anything.

http://www.cowboyslastride.com/

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Charlie Self

Patriarch responds:

(J T) wrote in news:15413-42081864-215@storefull-
3151.bay.webtv.net:
snip
But, how will they burn. I am not planning on getting buried.
Both my sons have been told I want to be creamated. Hope they remember.

Put it in writing. With the other important papers. So there is no
misunderstanding when you've left this side of the line.

I have many of the same feelings, but my wife is pretty certain I'm a
little nuts about this (and a few other issues, too.)

One of those wizards might make an interesting alternative to an oatmeal
box. The great grandkids might get some better insight into who you were.
;-)

In writing is a good idea. My wife also thinks I'm a bit around the bend on
some items, but she agrees here. My only variation is illegal--plant me shallow
and then plant a tree on my bellybutton. Otherwise known as how to be useful
after you're dead.

Charlie Self
"I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Glen

Charlie Self wrote:

In writing is a good idea. My wife also thinks I'm a bit around the bend on
some items, but she agrees here. My only variation is illegal--plant me shallow
and then plant a tree on my bellybutton. Otherwise known as how to be useful
after you're dead.

Charlie Self
"I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Another thought - You could be cremated and have your ashes put into an
hourglass. Then your kids could use you to time their eggs in the morning.

;-)
Glen
Olebiker

I rather liked Lee Hayes' (of the old folk group, The Weavers) idea.
He wanted to cremated, have his ashes mixed into the compost pile then
put on the vegetable garden. That way, after his friends ate the
vegetables and they made their inevitable way through the alimentary
canal, They could wave him a fond farewell as they flushed.

Dick Durbin

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:51:05 GMT, the inscrutable Han
spake:

(Charlie Self) wrote in
:

In writing is a good idea. My wife also thinks I'm a bit around the
bend on some items, but she agrees here. My only variation is
illegal--plant me shallow and then plant a tree on my bellybutton.
Otherwise known as how to be useful after you're dead.

My variation on the theme (mostly in writing):

Reuse the body parts still usable.
Burn what's left, cheaply.
Throw away the ashes.
There are pictures to remember me by, if anybody would want to.

Ditto here. My driver's license has ORGAN DONOR checked on it
and my instructions are to burn me and scatter me as fish food.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Larry Bud

Matthew wrote:
Having a cabinetmaker father, Mennonite grandparents, and Amish
greatgrandparents, I had the teenage experience of building coffins

for
several relatives. It is a good way to deal with the loss of a loved

one,
thru building a resting place for their body. And it is a chance to

see
people you rarely see. A few family members would get together and

were
done a day and at the funeral the next.

Just stick me in a freakin' cardboard box, or whatever the minimum is
allowed by law.

Put me in soylent green, for all I care!

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:14:25 GMT, Glen wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

In writing is a good idea. My wife also thinks I'm a bit around the bend on
some items, but she agrees here. My only variation is illegal--plant me shallow
and then plant a tree on my bellybutton. Otherwise known as how to be useful
after you're dead.

Charlie Self
"I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Another thought - You could be cremated and have your ashes put into an
hourglass. Then your kids could use you to time their eggs in the morning.

;-)
Glen

Or you can have your ashes made into diamonds for your widow to wear.

--RC
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

-- Suzie B
Prometheus

On 08 Feb 2005 08:45:26 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

[...]

I've made sure to make my wife swear that I will not be buried- I'm
not all that concerned about where my body goes, it just seems like a
waste of real estate that could otherwise be enjoyed by the living. I
told her that she should take whatever money we can afford, and use it
to fund a neighborhood park when I go (or a pavillion or playground
equipment, something like that.) I just figure the world is for the
living to enjoy, not for the dead to take up space in! Might make a
coffin for an oddball coffee table or something someday, though.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Silvan

J T wrote:

Both my sons have been told I want to be creamated. Hope they remember.

I used to want to get cremated, but now I've decided I'd rather be dug up in
500 years and reconstructed for some show on TLC. I gotta figure out how
to get buried some place interesting enough that when they dig me up they
will bother to reconstruct me.

I'd better leave some papers with my bones to tell them what color hair and
eyes to use, and tell them I was a lithe 154 pounds, with a 14" hickory
dickory. So they reconstruct me correctly, see.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Steven and Gail Peterson

Used to have an Army buddy, he always said he wanted to have his
ashes tossed in the ocean. Then every time any of his friends took a
drink of water, they could say, "Here's to you".

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

Unless they're drinking salt water, it doesn't work. Water evaporates from
the ocean as vapor, then condenses as fresh water. Won't transport ashes.
Otherwise, good idea.

Steve