Scrub

Default Drying red oak in a kitchen oven

Hello All,

I have several stacks of 1 1/2"x4"x30" pcs of red oak from a tree we
took down about 6 months ago. they've been stickered and stacked in
the basement near the furnace to dry. I have a project which would use
about 12 pieces but I know the wood is not yet sufficiently dry. I'm
wondering if I might accellerate the drying process by using a kitchen
oven. Has anyone tried this and if so, would you share the process,
upside and downside? Thanks.

Harry VanW.
Doug Miller

In article , Scrub wrote:
Hello All,

I have several stacks of 1 1/2"x4"x30" pcs of red oak from a tree we
took down about 6 months ago. they've been stickered and stacked in
the basement near the furnace to dry. I have a project which would use
about 12 pieces but I know the wood is not yet sufficiently dry. I'm
wondering if I might accellerate the drying process by using a kitchen
oven. Has anyone tried this and if so, would you share the process,
upside and downside? Thanks.

Well, the biggest downside I can see is that they probably aren't going to fit
into your oven. :-)

I'd be very concerned about drying it too fast, and causing it to check and
crack. Perhaps your library has a copy of "Fine Woodworking on Wood and How to
Dry It". Or see http://www.ripsaw.com/woodbook.html -- it's also available
from Amazon.

--
Regards,

Not a good idea. The wood will warp and the interior cell will not dry out
consistently.
Kiln dryers heat the wood to about 140 Deg. and have a dehumifier to suck out
the water.
My brother has one, it takes around 2 weeks for a stack of green wood.

Scrub wrote:
Hello All,

I have several stacks of 1 1/2"x4"x30" pcs of red oak from a tree we
took down about 6 months ago. they've been stickered and stacked in
the basement near the furnace to dry. I have a project which would use
about 12 pieces but I know the wood is not yet sufficiently dry. I'm
wondering if I might accellerate the drying process by using a kitchen
oven. Has anyone tried this and if so, would you share the process,
upside and downside? Thanks.

Harry VanW.

AAvK

Hello All,
I have several stacks of 1 1/2"x4"x30" pcs of red oak from a tree we
took down about 6 months ago. they've been stickered and stacked in
the basement near the furnace to dry. I have a project which would use
about 12 pieces but I know the wood is not yet sufficiently dry. I'm
wondering if I might accellerate the drying process by using a kitchen
oven. Has anyone tried this and if so, would you share the process,
upside and downside? Thanks.
Harry VanW.

Lowest possible heat, the lowest heat, with the door closed, otherwise with the
door open it will keep working to attain the set heat and hence, way over heat.
It is something to experiment with on worthless greenwood FIRST but I would
also tend to agree with Harry, the dehumidifier should be a serious nessesity
though I don't think your amount of wood would take that long at those sizes,
per small batch. Trying this I would use that stuff that is painted onto end-grain
to keep it from splitting, unless it is made for air drying only of course... I don't
think it'll work, honestly.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

George

"AAvK" wrote in message

[...]

The heat _is_ the dehumidification. You merely need to vent the moist
heated air. For those who want a bit more systematic approach to
kiln-drying http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/publications.html has great
information.

BTW, oak is one of the most difficult woods to dry because it tends to
honeycomb - ray figure splitting.

AAvK

The heat _is_ the dehumidification. You merely need to vent the moist
heated air.

I know that, but you have an enclosed heated environment of heat from which
the humidity must be removed, hence.

For those who want a bit more systematic approach to
kiln-drying http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/publications.html has great
information.

A wild goose chase in the needs of a simple and quick solution...$$$

BTW, oak is one of the most difficult woods to dry because it tends to
honeycomb - ray figure splitting.

So, won't that end-grain sealer work on the "warm" setting?

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

George

"AAvK" wrote in message

The heat _is_ the dehumidification. You merely need to vent the moist
heated air.

I know that, but you have an enclosed heated environment of heat from

which
the humidity must be removed, hence.

For those who want a bit more systematic approach to
kiln-drying http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/publications.html has great
information.

A wild goose chase in the needs of a simple and quick solution...$$$

BTW, oak is one of the most difficult woods to dry because it tends to
honeycomb - ray figure splitting.

So, won't that end-grain sealer work on the "warm" setting?

No knowledge is a goose chase. Even if you think you've got it all.

Had you studied wood, you'd know what honeycomb is, and that it is the most
common oak degrade. End checks are self-limiting by the nature of their
origin.

AAvK

No knowledge is a goose chase. Even if you think you've got it all.
Had you studied wood, you'd know what honeycomb is, and that it is the most
common oak degrade. End checks are self-limiting by the nature of their
origin.

Oh that's good George... anyone can tell how oak dries by "looking" at the bundled
firewood at your local supermarket. It's obvious. And frankly, had you studied
common sense you wouldn't be screaming

"NATIONAL STUDY OF WOOD DRYING ON A GOV'T WEBSITE"

towards the idea of a quick solution for a little stickered stack. Lighten up, it's
just a little human situation.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

George

"AAvK" wrote in message

Oh that's good George... anyone can tell how oak dries by "looking" at the

bundled
firewood at your local supermarket. It's obvious. And frankly, had you

studied
common sense you wouldn't be screaming

"NATIONAL STUDY OF WOOD DRYING ON A GOV'T WEBSITE"

towards the idea of a quick solution for a little stickered stack. Lighten

up, it's
just a little human situation.

Faint hope that the original poster might have found dry kiln schedules
published in that material of some aid. You know, approached it sensibly,
armed with knowledge versus bull****.

I see you are beyond help until you realize you realize how much you need.