Tom Watson

Default PineyWood Derby Racer - Beta Version - Film At Eleven!

https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Jeff P.

LOL, Tom that was very cute. Now, when's the big race?

--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog
can cure depression. The down side is, the minute
you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

rmc

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:41:41 -0500, Tom Watson wrote:

https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
(webpage)

Tom that was good, real good.

Silvan if you have trouble playing this get Kaffeine. It works real good.

Silvan

Tom Watson wrote:

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

I got that licked, more or less. I saw your other one finally. Good idea.
I had some trouble reading some of the text though.

Same thing with that one. Too much white text on light colored stuff.
Legibility is not so good in places. You should have a chat with Cecil and
see if he can't deliver a better production next time.

Playing it at regular speed, the music ended while you were just getting out
the curve. Was the whole thing supposed to be in dramatic slow mo, or is
my futzed up hack media player behaving badly? You

were

moving

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooowly

that I had to crank it up to play at double speed. Which was really
amusing. My own Cub Scout (who turns into a Boy Scout next month) got a
big kick out of it.

I should probably give you a hard time about how much work you did and how
little he did, but that would be hypocritical. We should probably both be
ashamed of ourselves, Tawm.

I'm hoping to redeem myself by letting my kid do 100% of his car this year.
No matter how ugly it is, or how badly it loses.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Ba r r y

wrote:

https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Cool!

Keep us up to date with the race.

Barry
Alan Bierbaum

Neat. Now just be sure to show the race. The kid obviously looks like your
wife (G,D,R).

--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
Current project: http://home.comcast.net/~cabierbaum/

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

patrick conroy

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

Good on ya! Please post results of race!

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

I know the feeling. It does take *work*.

John Emmons

Just don't stoop to the level of this one clown on ebay who's selling ready
made Pinewood derby race cars. I can't imagine how anyone could ruin
something so nice and innocent. Course the guy only wants $175.00 for one...
I still remember my Dad and I working on my cars when I was a Cub scout and
I'm now 44 years old, we tried all kinds of things to make em go fast, but
buying one and passing it off as home built wasn't one of them. Good for you
on building your own Tom.

John Emmons

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

Jon Endres, PE

Nice, Tom.

I've been helping the "build crew" for four years now - first my 13-y.o.,
who has apparently had enough and refused to build one this year (he's a Boy
Scout, and the local pack holds a Boy Scout Pinewood race after the Cubbies
run, and give away movie tix and cash to the winners.) The ten-year-old
built his third one this year, looked like a big pickle. Didn't win, but it
was fun. I have Scout #3 to get started in about six or seven years, as
soon as he gets out of diapers and learns to sit up on his own. I'm glad
Girl Scouts don't do that stuff, although my daughter has been eyeballing
the shop as a good place to store several billion cookies.

I thought *I* cheated, but I guess we all do to a point. Almost the same
procedure - he designs, I cut on bandsaw, he shapes and sands, I paint, he
paints, we race.

Jon Endres
- next year we start more than two days in advance.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

Silvan

John Emmons wrote:

Just don't stoop to the level of this one clown on ebay who's selling
ready made Pinewood derby race cars. I can't imagine how anyone could ruin
something so nice and innocent. Course the guy only wants $175.00 for

We like to push the envelope. I was going to do this for the adult race
one, but my son liked the idea so much he wants to do his that way too.
You have to use the original kit and wheels, but you can add stuff to it.

So we're going to cut the axle grooves off the bottom of the original kit,
and then graft it onto a block of walnut. Shape it after some fashion,
then shellac it. It will still include the original kit and original axle
grooves. The rest of it will be pretty.

It's both of our last PWD until either he or my daughter gives me
grandchildren, so we want to do it in style. Like I said, it was my idea
to do for me, for the big kids race, but I can't very well tell him "no,
son, you have to make yours out of all pine" can I?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
John Emmons

Pushing the envelope is great, go for it. Just don't sell out the whole
notion of what the pine wood derby is supposed to be about, fathers and sons
or daughters, working together to build something. For fun, not as the means
for some moron on ebay to sell something. It cheapens the whole thing.

John

"Silvan" wrote in message
John Emmons wrote:

[...]

MARK SIMON

Next year you need to add the drill press (polishing / deburring axles and
flattening the wheels)

Great Job. My son and I had our race 2 weeks ago. Took 4th in the pack
race and 1st in best design vote.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

Glen

I still smile every time I go out in my shop and see my rasp and a
couple of other tools spray painted bright blue. My son pointed the
spray can nozzle sideways and would let up on the spray as he coated
everything with two feet of his car. That was five years ago. I could
clean up the tools, but it is still a happy reminder of the time
spent...

I have five kids (one cub) and do five cars every year. Each year, we
find a way to introduce one or two more tools to their repetoir. This
year is was a drawknife, spokeshave, and my carving gouges. Every kid
has kept every car we have ever made on my oldest is 14.
Tom Watson wrote:

https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player

watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

Tom Watson

The Pineywood Derby race was last night.

What was my seven year old , and is now my eight year old boy, came
in third in a field of thirty three.

In the preliminary round he had a First, First, and Second.

That got him into the finals.

In the finals he had a First, First and Second.

That got him into the runoffs.

In the runoffs he ran on the center track, which had a high screw that
held the track pieces together.

His car, which was heavily back weighted, jumped off the track.

Damned shame, the boy coulda been a contender.

He was real excited and I think that next year he will be more
motivated to do more than just sand.

We didn't do any of the wheel parralleling or such, nor any of the
axle smoothing, and such, because I'd like that to be on him, if it
happens.

Pix of the car and Third Place Trophy on APBW.

wrote:

https://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/.../pineywood.wmv

Today my seven year old CubScout and I made a PineyWood Derby Racer.

And we made a movie about it.

There was too much Dad and not enough Lad in this version - but we're
working on that.

You'll prolly need the most current version of Windows Media Player to
watch it (sorry, Sylvan).

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

Regards,

Tom.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Patriarch

Tom Watson wrote in
:

The Pineywood Derby race was last night.

What was my seven year old , and is now my eight year old boy, came
in third in a field of thirty three.

Pix of the car and Third Place Trophy on APBW.

The young fellow I supervised did pretty well with is car, too. When it
went down the track the first time, and came in second in that heat, you'd
have thought he was going to break his face, grinning so hard. He came in
first in his age group at the pack race (second overall), and second
overall in the district competition two Saturdays ago. The paint job he
did, with help from his mom, won him first place in both events.

The medal sure looked good on him on Scout Sunday.

We had a great time from the side lines. All I had to do was get the car
to the right weight, and squirt the graphite in the right places at the
start of the whole event.

Patriarch

Nate Perkins

Tom Watson wrote in
:

Pix of the car and Third Place Trophy on APBW.

Congrats!

I am 42 now ... but I still remember doing pinewood derby with my dad. One
of my best memories.

Now my son's just turned six. Not long now :-)
Dhakala

Wow! This thread brings back happy memories! My boy's 14 now and into
Marilyn Manson :-( but we had a ball with those pinewood cars. Still
have all the trophies and our final, 1st place car on the mantelpiece.

Nowadays, people are buying completed cars on eBay. This one's up to
$75:

http://tinyurl.com/4zuov

Whoever heard of a tungsten-weighted pinewood car with lathe-turned
axles and milled wheels??? Sheesh!