marc rosen

Default Who said there are "no stupid questions"? (example: Is wood wood?)

Hello Group,
I have access to several large oaks and some of the limbs are large,
about 12 (or more)inches in diameter. The trunks are rotted out so
they will be used as firewood. Anyway, my question relates to the
limbs; Is there any difference in using limb wood for projects such as
railings, table legs, posts, etc.?
I would think that it there will be no difference compared to using a
12 inch trunk. Any comments?
Thanks in advance,
Marc

George

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Group,
I have access to several large oaks and some of the limbs are large,
about 12 (or more)inches in diameter. The trunks are rotted out so
they will be used as firewood. Anyway, my question relates to the
limbs; Is there any difference in using limb wood for projects such as
railings, table legs, posts, etc.?
I would think that it there will be no difference compared to using a
12 inch trunk. Any comments?
Thanks in advance,
Marc

You lose. Take a look at the position of the heart in a limb, notice how
the rings are tight on one side, loose on the other. Two entirely different
kinds of wood in working properties.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm
Has some really good stuff about the nature of wood that can help you.

BobS

On a limb, the underside will be in compression and the top-side will be in
tension. When you mill - you will be releasing those forces and most likely
will bow. If you have a lathe, cut some and use it for turnings.

Bob S.

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Group,
I have access to several large oaks and some of the limbs are large,
about 12 (or more)inches in diameter. The trunks are rotted out so
they will be used as firewood. Anyway, my question relates to the
limbs; Is there any difference in using limb wood for projects such as
railings, table legs, posts, etc.?
I would think that it there will be no difference compared to using a
12 inch trunk. Any comments?
Thanks in advance,
Marc

marc rosen

Thanks guys,
I think I'll make all of the trees firewood and try for some straight
sections of trunks when i get more trees. I never gave the
compression/tension relationship any thought.
Thanks again,
Marc

mac davis

On 30 Jan 2005 18:10:29 -0800, "marc rosen" wrote:

Thanks guys,
I think I'll make all of the trees firewood and try for some straight
sections of trunks when i get more trees. I never gave the
compression/tension relationship any thought.
Thanks again,
Marc

Marc... unless you have a lathe, just send those pesky branches to
me.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

### micro-FAQ on wood # 028 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 January 5th 05 08:03 AM
Steam Bending Lumber - Any Good Sites Big John Woodworking 2 December 26th 04 06:30 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 024 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 November 13th 04 08:02 PM
How Much Wood Are You Willing to “Waste” (Long) charlie b Woodworking 7 March 4th 04 06:05 PM