damian penney

Default How is this piece made

There is a chaise http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=4854 that I
quite like the look of but I'm not sure how the twist is done. If you
click on the View 6in Detail you'll see what I mean. The wood is flat
around the edge and then twists 90degrees on the x axis and 90 degrees
on the y axis to wrap around the top. It says 'carved from solid
walnut' but wondering if this is accurate. I guess it could be a
bandsawn from a solid chunk but seems more likely (to me) to be some
form of compound lamination. Thoughts, and if the latter any pointers
to where such a technique is described online.

damian

Juergen Hannappel

"damian penney" writes:

There is a chaise http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=4854 that I
quite like the look of but I'm not sure how the twist is done. If you
click on the View 6in Detail you'll see what I mean. The wood is flat
around the edge and then twists 90degrees on the x axis and 90 degrees
on the y axis to wrap around the top. It says 'carved from solid

This piece is obviusly just an ordinary piece of 1 by 2 which is bent
and twisted to the desired shape. DAGS "wood bending"

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Woody

damian penney wrote:
There is a chaise http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=4854 that I
quite like the look of but I'm not sure how the twist is done. If you
click on the View 6in Detail you'll see what I mean. The wood is flat
around the edge and then twists 90degrees on the x axis and 90 degrees
on the y axis to wrap around the top. It says 'carved from solid
walnut' but wondering if this is accurate. I guess it could be a
bandsawn from a solid chunk but seems more likely (to me) to be some
form of compound lamination. Thoughts, and if the latter any pointers
to where such a technique is described online.

damian

As you say, the sides look like a 90 degree twist. However, the top
appears to be a separate piece connected to each side (note seam near
top of chaise).

Also, the exact phrase is "Carved down from solid walnut,..." so I don't
think this precludes bent lamination of the sides.

~Mark.
damian penney

You're right, the top is a separate piece so I guess the piece just
twists around one axis. I've only ever seen bentwood pieces where the
bend is on the flat though, never twists hence the question. How easily
does wood twist in a lamination? I know it can do some pretty tight
bends but haven't seen any examples where it twists like this.

damian penney

I've only seen examples of woodbending where it bends in a curve, never
where it twists like this (and I've googled) if you could point me at
an example much appreciated.

Pounds on Wood

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
This piece is obviusly just an ordinary piece of 1 by 2 which is bent
and twisted to the desired shape. DAGS "wood bending"

No, not bent or twisted. If you look at more of the detail pics you will
see the grain is straight through, not around, the twist. A 5 axis CNC mill
job.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

mp

I guess it could be a
bandsawn from a solid chunk but seems more likely (to me) to be some
form of compound lamination.

True. If you look closely at the last detail photo you'll see a joint at the
bottom of the curve and of course at the the top. The copy doesn't say it's
carved from one piece, just that it's carved from solid wood.

damian penney

Makes sense, and I can see the twisted piece is joined to the longer
sides a little further down. Not familiar with CNC routing. Would this
be difficult to carve? I've no experience with carving at all so not
sure what's involved, is there an online resource I can look to?

Robatoy

In article . com,
"damian penney" wrote:

There is a chaise http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=4854 that I
quite like the look of but I'm not sure how the twist is done. If you
click on the View 6in Detail you'll see what I mean. The wood is flat
around the edge and then twists 90degrees on the x axis and 90 degrees
on the y axis to wrap around the top. It says 'carved from solid
walnut' but wondering if this is accurate. I guess it could be a
bandsawn from a solid chunk but seems more likely (to me) to be some
form of compound lamination. Thoughts, and if the latter any pointers
to where such a technique is described online.

damian

Absolutely gorgeous design, btw.

How?

Simple.
Soak for many hours (depending on temperature) in
Aminoethylethanolamine (AEEA) and form in hydrolic cauls, rinse, dry,
sand...

Could be Triethylenetetramine (TETA) and Diethylenetriamine (DETA) as
well. Depends on where and who did it.

Or not.

0¿0

Rob

------------------

"Et tu, Spongebob?"
Juergen Hannappel

"Pounds on Wood" writes:

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
This piece is obviusly just an ordinary piece of 1 by 2 which is bent
and twisted to the desired shape. DAGS "wood bending"

No, not bent or twisted. If you look at more of the detail pics you will
see the grain is straight through, not around, the twist. A 5 axis CNC mill
job.

I stand corrected. In the last of the detail pics it's indeed visible,
but it also seems as if the twisted part goes only to the middle of
the upward curve, just below the seam in the bolster there is a
discontinuity in the grain that looks like a glue line.

If i find the time i have to try and twist-bend some wood.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

You get great points for persistence. CNC routing setups start at
$6500. Carving a twist like that would take considerable practice,
especially to get the thickness consistant around the whole twist. If
your'e interested in carving, go for it!
I havn't tried it, but I bet with the right form(s), a lot of clamps,
bandsaw to resaw your board into layers, some polyurethane glue and
some practice, you could do it without the glue lines really showing.
Need to keep the boards in the same order they were sliced off. Tune up
the bandsaw on scrap 'til you have your slabs consistent in thickness.
Though the layers will be rough from even the best blade, the peaks and
valleys will match from board to board, leaving a near seamless glue
line without having to sand each piece (I have tried this part). You
might want to do a search for David Marks, host of tv show "woodworks".
He has done other bent laminations on his show and I wouldn't be
surprised if he hadn't tried a twisted one. See if he has a contact
link on his site.
Good luck.

damian penney

I did check out the David Marks site, and he does have a chair in his
gallery that has a similar twist but there are no construction
details.. An email came back with the stock 'we're too busy to answer
emails' reply

I think I'll try the bandsaw/form technique and see how that works out.
With regards the forms, do you think a solid form, or just attaching a
clamp at both ends and twisting them would be the best way. Seems like
by just securing the ends the wood could twist more naturally.

TaskMule

"damian penney" wrote in message
oups.com...
I did check out the David Marks site, and he does have a chair in his
gallery that has a similar twist but there are no construction
details.. An email came back with the stock 'we're too busy to answer
emails' reply

I think I'll try the bandsaw/form technique and see how that works out.
With regards the forms, do you think a solid form, or just attaching a
clamp at both ends and twisting them would be the best way. Seems like
by just securing the ends the wood could twist more naturally.

You will never get any wood to twist like in the images, even from
laminations

damian penney

Never say never

Matthew

I'm not sure that is the case. Look closely and you can see where the sides
are joined together about halfway between head and foot. The grain
definately changes direction, which it would not do on a bent wood
technique.

The sides may very well be "Carved from solid walnut" -- you get $1000 plus
for a chair, you can put some time into it.

Matthew

"damian penney" writes:

There is a chaise http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=4854 that I
quite like the look of but I'm not sure how the twist is done. If you
click on the View 6in Detail you'll see what I mean. The wood is flat
around the edge and then twists 90degrees on the x axis and 90 degrees
on the y axis to wrap around the top. It says 'carved from solid

This piece is obviusly just an ordinary piece of 1 by 2 which is bent
and twisted to the desired shape. DAGS "wood bending"

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Damian Penney

I actually wouldn't mind if my reproduction had the grain curving and a
CNC router is a little beyond my budget. Think I'll give it a whirl
after my current project is completed and post the results.

Thanks for everyones input on this.

damian

"TaskMule" wrote in message

"damian penney" wrote in message
groups.com...

I did check out the David Marks site, and he does have a chair in his
gallery that has a similar twist but there are no construction
details.. An email came back with the stock 'we're too busy to answer
emails' reply

I think I'll try the bandsaw/form technique and see how that works out.
With regards the forms, do you think a solid form, or just attaching a
clamp at both ends and twisting them would be the best way. Seems like
by just securing the ends the wood could twist more naturally.

You will never get any wood to twist like in the images, even from
laminations

CW

Overkill. A 3 axis would do fine.

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message
A 5 axis CNC mill
job.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
TaskMule wrote:

"damian penney" wrote in message
roups.com...
I did check out the David Marks site, and he does have a chair in his
gallery that has a similar twist but there are no construction
details.. An email came back with the stock 'we're too busy to answer
emails' reply

I think I'll try the bandsaw/form technique and see how that works out.
With regards the forms, do you think a solid form, or just attaching a
clamp at both ends and twisting them would be the best way. Seems like
by just securing the ends the wood could twist more naturally.

You will never get any wood to twist like in the images, even from
laminations

Wanna bet?

Check the 2x4 pile at any BORG!

Now, if they can do it with cheap lumber, a real woodworker should be able
to manage an equivalent accomplishment in quality wood. grin

OR, you get lucky, and find some 'ready to use' parts in the 2x4 stack.
Then it's just a matter of applying the right 'faux finish' to make it
"look like walnut".