Larry Bud

Default How do I make this DVD Rack?

Folks,

I'm designing a little DVD media rack. Please see the following

Top view Drawing:
http://www.areddy.net/misc/dvd-rack.gif
(it's a large drawing, but only 17k).

Sketch:
http://www.areddy.net/misc/dvd-rack-drawing.jpg

Ok, thinking of making this out of Oak, probably mostly solid. But a
question about the shelves.

From the top drawing, you'll see I have the shelves as the dashed

lines, dadoed into the vertical supports on 3 sides... is this
overkill? Should I just make a stopped dado on each end of each shelf,
maybe just a couple of inches long?

I just see possible issues in cutting all of the dados at exactly the
same position on each vertical piece.

How would you make this?

BTW, I calculate that each "level" of this rack will hold approx 72 DVD
standard single cases.

Steven and Gail Peterson

Cut corresponding dadoes all at once. Lay out the pieces and tape them
together. You could also use two-sided tape under them. Make the ends all
line up by using strips nailed or clamped down to prevent movement. Use a
router to make the cuts; use a guide. First setup will take a little while,
but others will go quickly.

Steve

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I'm designing a little DVD media rack. Please see the following

Top view Drawing:
http://www.areddy.net/misc/dvd-rack.gif
(it's a large drawing, but only 17k).

Sketch:
http://www.areddy.net/misc/dvd-rack-drawing.jpg

Ok, thinking of making this out of Oak, probably mostly solid. But a
question about the shelves.

From the top drawing, you'll see I have the shelves as the dashed

lines, dadoed into the vertical supports on 3 sides... is this
overkill? Should I just make a stopped dado on each end of each shelf,
maybe just a couple of inches long?

I just see possible issues in cutting all of the dados at exactly the
same position on each vertical piece.

How would you make this?

BTW, I calculate that each "level" of this rack will hold approx 72 DVD
standard single cases.

loutent

Hi Larry,

I think that your question is more "labor of love" vs
"functional & cute". As far as function, you certainly
do not need dados to support 72 DVD's - biscuits,
screws, hell, even some 8-d finish nails would
support the weight.

The question is really you want a really nice piece
of woodworking that will last a "lifetime" or just
last 10 years+.

For DVD storage, I wouldn't expect it be necessary
to be a work of art - the format will change and
then change again, so who knows?

Me, I'd use dadoes just because I'm anal that
way - not that it's necessary.

Run all the dadoes at the same time, then rip all
the verticals. I'd make 'em through, not stopped
and then glue an edge on the front.

That's just me tho.

Lou

In article .com,
Larry Bud wrote:

Folks,

I'm designing a little DVD media rack. Please see the following

Top view Drawing:
http://www.areddy.net/misc/dvd-rack.gif
(it's a large drawing, but only 17k).

Sketch:
http://www.areddy.net/misc/dvd-rack-drawing.jpg

Ok, thinking of making this out of Oak, probably mostly solid. But a
question about the shelves.

From the top drawing, you'll see I have the shelves as the dashed

lines, dadoed into the vertical supports on 3 sides... is this
overkill? Should I just make a stopped dado on each end of each shelf,
maybe just a couple of inches long?

I just see possible issues in cutting all of the dados at exactly the
same position on each vertical piece.

How would you make this?

BTW, I calculate that each "level" of this rack will hold approx 72 DVD
standard single cases.

Larry Bud

loutent wrote:
Hi Larry,

I think that your question is more "labor of love" vs
"functional & cute". As far as function, you certainly
do not need dados to support 72 DVD's - biscuits,
screws, hell, even some 8-d finish nails would
support the weight.

Yeah, no doubt.

For DVD storage, I wouldn't expect it be necessary
to be a work of art - the format will change and
then change again, so who knows?

I think Hollywood and those involved in media formats understand the
importance of making storage similar for each new format... not so much
for us, but for video stores to be able to display their movies...
You'll note a DVD is pretty similar size as a VHS case, when it
obviously could have been smaller, such as with a CD. The next gen
DVDs will be HD-DVD and will be the same size as a regular DVD... so I
think we're good for a while. Plus the fact that I'm not going to put
dividers for each little title helps if they ever change the thickness
of the package on us again... but I digress...

Run all the dadoes at the same time, then rip all
the verticals. I'd make 'em through, not stopped
and then glue an edge on the front.

Thanks for the thoughts.