Noons

Default Good to be back...

Hi folks.

After a very long hiatus - much longer
than I ever expected - I'm back online with
a proper broadband connection and a renewed
zest for things woodworking.

Part of the reason for the absence had to do
with illness as well as some close family
members passing away. And the fact that
we built a new house. Which took a LOT
longer than expected - courtesy of a
dishonest and incompetent builder.

For the Aussies in he never build a
house with Masterton. They are *bad*
news. I have some web pages with examples
of their incompetency, if any1 is
seriously interested.

But things are back to normal, the house is
finished properly and like we wanted and
we've moved in. And I have a pile of wooddorking
to do. And very little time to do it.
As well as moolah.

So very unlike me, I'll be using some
powered tools to get things done quickly.

It will be back to my beloved old hand tools
as soon as the urgent stuff is out of the way,
rest assured.

Hope to progressively catch up with some old
ciber-friends here who may remember me from a
few years ago.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
Conan the Librarian

Noons wrote:

[...]

Nooner,

Good to see you back. Sorry to hear about the tough times, but it
sounds like you're keeping your chin up.

Not a lot of neander-talk here these days, but there are still some
galoots lurking about.

So what's on the ww'ing agenda after you finish the essentials?

I've been working on making a steam box and bending form for
laminating a trout net or two. Bending wood is one technique I haven't
yet fooled around with, but it's in my future.

Chuck Vance

Noons

Conan the Librarian apparently said,on my timestamp of 21/01/2005 12:18 AM:

Blimey! My first post back and who replies straight
off the rack? Good old Chuckrateez. Good to hear
from you, buddy.

So what's on the ww'ing agenda after you finish the essentials?

Well, there are three cabinets in the gar^H^H^Hworkshop
now, plus there is a tool cabinet to finish.
The garage was built with an extra 6 foot length to be
used for my stuff. With a bit of luck, I'll be able to
make use of all of it and still have space for the cars.
At least, that's the plan: the cars of course have lower
priority. Will post some photos somewhere soon.

A built-in for the office/study, which I'm still
trying to design in my head and paper. It's along
the same lines as the built-in in Tom Plamman's,
the bedroom one. Same general idea, no TV.

SWMBO wants a wardrobe for the bedroom, I'm not sure
I can do that yet but will give it a good try.

And a lot of carving to be done for friends
whom I promised stuff to and got nowhere with
this house craziness...

In the meantime the recess under the stairs has been opened and
a door framed and installed, heaps of garden/fence stuff done,
the porch finished off and expanded to the entire side of the
house, covered with laserlite, gardening drip system cleaned and
installed properly (all valves installed back to front by the
"competent builder"...), a host of bookcases built, etcetc.
No rest for the wicked!

I've been working on making a steam box and bending form for
laminating a trout net or two. Bending wood is one technique I haven't
yet fooled around with, but it's in my future.

That will have to wait for me. I've tried kerfing
with the Triton table, but laminating or steaming
is out of what I can do at the moment.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
Joe C.

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message
Noons wrote:

Hi folks.

After a very long hiatus - much longer

Nooner,

I've been working on making a steam box and bending form for
laminating a trout net or two. Bending wood is one technique I haven't
yet fooled around with, but it's in my future.

Chuck Vance

Chuck, where do you get the nets after you finish your form? I've been
looking at doing this for awhile.

Thanks! Joe C.

Leon

Very nice to see you back.

TeamCasa

Welcome back.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
jo4hn

Noons wrote:

Hi folks.

After a very long hiatus - much longer
than I ever expected - I'm back online with
a proper broadband connection and a renewed
zest for things woodworking.

[snip]

Ah, one of the names whom I am less likely to skip reading is back.
Welcome noons.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Norman D. Crow

"Noons" wrote in message
Hi folks.

Hope to progressively catch up with some old
ciber-friends here who may remember me from a
few years ago.

Long time no seeum! Welcome back.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Tom Watson

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:13:34 +1100, Noons
wrote:

Hi folks.

Good to see your voice again, Noons.

Tom.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

Dave Balderstone

In article
, Noons
wrote:

Hi folks.

After a very long hiatus - much longer
than I ever expected - I'm back online with
a proper broadband connection and a renewed
zest for things woodworking.

Good to have you back, Noons.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:04:20 GMT, the inscrutable "Joe C."
spake:

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message

I've been working on making a steam box and bending form for
laminating a trout net or two. Bending wood is one technique I haven't
yet fooled around with, but it's in my future.

Chuck Vance

Chuck, where do you get the nets after you finish your form? I've been
looking at doing this for awhile.

Drop by http://knotsindeed.com/index.html then weave your own
while you wait for the fish to climb on your line.

(Note to Noons: Welcome back, dude.)

-
Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.
http://diversify.com

Conan the Librarian

Noons wrote:

Blimey! My first post back and who replies straight
off the rack? Good old Chuckrateez. Good to hear
from you, buddy.

Likewise, Nuno. Nice to have one the "good guys" back in the fold.

Well, there are three cabinets in the gar^H^H^Hworkshop
now, plus there is a tool cabinet to finish.
The garage was built with an extra 6 foot length to be
used for my stuff. With a bit of luck, I'll be able to
make use of all of it and still have space for the cars.
At least, that's the plan: the cars of course have lower
priority. Will post some photos somewhere soon.

Heh, heh. You may *think* you'll have space for the cars ...

[snip of insanity}

Geez, man ... sounds like you have become a carpenter rather than a
handtool collector^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^huser. :-)

Good luck with all your projects.

That will have to wait for me. I've tried kerfing
with the Triton table, but laminating or steaming
is out of what I can do at the moment.

I expect the time will come. Ever since I started planning this
particular project, I've had all sorts of ideas about cool things I want
to try. I've pretty-well got the hang of making box shapes, so bending
gives me all kinds of new options.

Post photos when you get a chance.

Chuck Vance
Groggy

wrote:

[...]

G'day Noons, funny that you come back on scope when I am about to drop
off! You're not the first to comment on Masterton, my BIL led them
through the court system and handed them their head on a platter. It
cost them more than the house was worth in the end.

I hope that you are now back on track and the house wasn't a
dissapointment.

cheers,

Groggy
Noons

Groggy apparently said,on my timestamp of 22/01/2005 10:35 AM:

G'day Noons, funny that you come back on scope when I am about to drop
off! You're not the first to comment on Masterton, my BIL led them
through the court system and handed them their head on a platter. It
cost them more than the house was worth in the end.

I hope that you are now back on track and the house wasn't a
dissapointment.

Where you orf now? You still in Vic?

Yeah, they're hopeless. I could live with that if they were not
so dishonest to boot. Their building "supervisor" bordered on the
criminal. That really gets up my nose.

Fair Trading gave them a hiding and they basically had to
do all things we asked, no extra cost and they had to fix what we
thought was wrong. Only one thing remaining and they are making a
"last stand" on that one. It's gonna hurt them more than it hurt me!...

House looks very good now. But we had to go through hoops
to get it the way we wanted, not the way they wanted.

Lots of finishing stuff for me to do now, though. Mostly finish
carpentry like Chuck noted. Yeah, I had to learn all sorts of
things about framing and hanging doors and such. Good fun.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto