Tom Del Rosso

Default Unwanted stain from dark sawdust

I put a small oak picture frame down on a bench that had a little walnut
sawdust on the surface, and it caused a dark discoloring. Can I get that
out?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Duane Bozarth

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

I put a small oak picture frame down on a bench that had a little walnut
sawdust on the surface, and it caused a dark discoloring. Can I get that
out?

Surprised it would actually stain unless one or the other (or both) were
awfully damp...but, that aside, a little oxalic acid should do the
trick...
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:41:25 GMT, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
I put a small oak picture frame down on a bench that had a little walnut
sawdust on the surface, and it caused a dark discoloring. Can I get that
out?

Probably not - tannic acid is a very good stain. Might not be too deep,
though, so sanding might be an option for you?
Tom Del Rosso

wrote:
I put a small oak picture frame down on a bench that had a little walnut
sawdust on the surface, and it caused a dark discoloring. Can I get

that
out?

Probably not - tannic acid is a very good stain. Might not be too deep,
though, so sanding might be an option for you?

Not really. The frame is already stained and I don't think I can match the
stain after sanding. Fortunately the discoloration is only on the edge
because the frame was standing on edge when it happened.

Thanks.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Since the piece is already stained, anything that would lessen the
discoloration from the walnut is likely to lighten the stain as well. I
turn walnut on the lathe, and get stained hands. Only things that get
it off are bleach and Oxy-Clean.

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I put a small oak picture frame down on a bench that had a little walnut
sawdust on the surface, and it caused a dark discoloring. Can I get that
out?

No - "vandyke crystals" are a well known stain - they're made of
walnut husk extract ! You _might_ bleach it out with a hypochlorite
bleach (common household bleach), but this is more likely to cause
more unevenness than it solves. You can always sand it, if there's
suitable access.

I'd make a weak solution of vandyke, or walnut sawdust, in water and
stain the rest of the frame to match. It's a close enough colour match
that oak shouldn;t look out of place with it.

--
Smert' spamionam

Hood Wiping Wood Stain Test Rumpty Woodworking 4 November 26th 04 01:33 AM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM
Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
stain for bookcase David Zaret Woodworking 2 August 22nd 03 01:39 AM