Doug

Default quiet woodworking

I have a new 3 month old daughter and when I find an hour or so here
and there I like to do some woodworking. I am still pretty new to the
game but really enjoy it.
What I need is a new technique which is quiet so as not to disturb the
baby and the wife. Normally I work with power tools, so I thought
about working with hand tools. Saws are OK but banging on a chisel is
out.
I am thinking about woodturning. Any tips on getting started? Any
tips for alternative quiet woodworking? Thanks.
Doug

B a r r y

Doug wrote:

Normally I work with power tools, so I thought
about working with hand tools. Saws are OK but banging on a chisel is
out.

Try using your chisels to pare the wood. Hand planes are quiet.
Hammering chisels is over rated.

Paring isn't easy? Work on your sharpening technique, which is also a
quiet activity.

Barry

Guess who

On 17 Jan 2005 05:25:54 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

I have a new 3 month old daughter and when I find an hour or so here
and there I like to do some woodworking. I am still pretty new to the
game but really enjoy it.
What I need is a new technique which is quiet so as not to disturb the
baby and the wife. Normally I work with power tools, so I thought
about working with hand tools. Saws are OK but banging on a chisel is
out.
I am thinking about woodturning. Any tips on getting started? Any
tips for alternative quiet woodworking? Thanks.

This is another troll.

Babies sleep through thunderstorms. Stop tip-toeing. They get used
to noise faster than you do. Besides, you don't keep the baby in the
workshop.

Take up knitting instead, but be sure to wrap the needles in something
soft [another large discussion on what is best to use] so that the
clicking doesn't keep the baby awake.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a new 3 month old daughter and when I find an hour or so here
and there I like to do some woodworking. I am still pretty new to the
game but really enjoy it.
Doug

If you do woodworking now, the baby will get used to the sound and not wake
up. Ask the people that live in high traffic areas and most will tell you
they never hear a sound. I lived for a few years at a very busy intersection
with a trolley on the street and big trucks going over the trolley tracks.

If you are making that much noise banging on a chisel, you are doing
something very wrong.

Jeff P.

You can do anything you want. This is why they make hearing protection.
Either you wear it so you can't hear the baby crying or your wife screaming
or put a set on the little one so she can't hear you. Geez, this was an
easy one!

--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The
crew are believed to be marooned."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a new 3 month old daughter and when I find an hour or so here
and there I like to do some woodworking. I am still pretty new to the
game but really enjoy it.
What I need is a new technique which is quiet so as not to disturb the
baby and the wife. Normally I work with power tools, so I thought
about working with hand tools. Saws are OK but banging on a chisel is
out.
I am thinking about woodturning. Any tips on getting started? Any
tips for alternative quiet woodworking? Thanks.
Doug

Andy Dingley

On 17 Jan 2005 05:25:54 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

What I need is a new technique which is quiet so as not to disturb the
baby and the wife.

Quietest I know is green woodworking (shave horse, drawknife,
spokeshave). This has its noisy bits when you're splitting logs, but
most of it is almost silent. Needs some space though and makes a mess
of shavings everywhere - it's a good one for outdoors. if you have a
lathe it can involve some simple woodturning. It's also cheap and can
make useful furniture with little effort.

--
Smert' spamionam
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:37:33 -0500, Guess who
wrote:

Babies sleep through thunderstorms. Stop tip-toeing. They get used
to noise faster than you do.

Sure, _they_ do.

But if the sprog is finally asleep, then _you_ want some peace and
quiet too.

--
Smert' spamionam

RampRat

We have done the same thing. My wife and I watch our dvds with my home
theater after the kids go to bed. They sleep right through it. Problem
is now my daughter can't sleep without some kinda noise. She asks us to
"turn the volume up" every night cause otherwise it's too quiet. Trojan
Horse!

mac davis

On 17 Jan 2005 05:25:54 -0800, "Doug" wrote:

I have a new 3 month old daughter and when I find an hour or so here
and there I like to do some woodworking. I am still pretty new to the
game but really enjoy it.
What I need is a new technique which is quiet so as not to disturb the
baby and the wife. Normally I work with power tools, so I thought
about working with hand tools. Saws are OK but banging on a chisel is
out.
I am thinking about woodturning. Any tips on getting started? Any
tips for alternative quiet woodworking? Thanks.
Doug

just a word of advise from LONG experience:
Work at a level that your wife doesn't mind... get the baby used to
normal noise..

believe it or not, the lil princess will NOT mind the sound of your
saw or jointer and will do better with household noise later because
you ran that saw..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Nate Perkins

"Doug" wrote in news:1105968354.938216.178440
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I have a new 3 month old daughter and when I find an hour or so here
and there I like to do some woodworking. I am still pretty new to the
game but really enjoy it.
What I need is a new technique which is quiet so as not to disturb the
baby and the wife. Normally I work with power tools, so I thought
about working with hand tools. Saws are OK but banging on a chisel is
out.
I am thinking about woodturning. Any tips on getting started? Any
tips for alternative quiet woodworking? Thanks.
Doug

I have a 6 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. I took up woodworking
when my daughter was about 6-9 months old.

I use machines for all the stock prep, but hand tools for most of the
joinery. My first workbench was lousy 3/4" MDF -- reverberated like a drum
when I pounded on it. Since, I built a stout beech workbench and now the
sound of chisels doesn't carry upstairs appreciably. At night I do
joinery, scraping, assembly, and finishing.

My favorite projects are the things I've built for and with my kids.
Upscale

"Doug Brown" wrote in message
When I was little one of my favourtie sounds (and it would always put me

sleep) was the sound of the vacumn cleaner.

And now that you're older, I bet the thought of using the vacuum cleaner
still puts you to sleep.

Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:44:14 -0600, Doug Brown wrote:

When I was little one of my favourtie sounds (and it would always put me
to sleep) was the sound of the vacumn cleaner. "TeamCasa"

When my son was 2 or 3 years old - about 25 years ago - I used to put him
on my lap while mowing the acre on a noisy Craftsman riding mower.
He'd fall asleep after about 3 minutes.

- Doug

Buddy Matlosz

We were finishing the inside of your home just after the second son
was born......

See that, Doug? JOAT was working on your house and you didn't even know it.
The baby won't hear a thing.

B.

mac davis

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:44:14 -0600, "Doug Brown"
wrote:

When I was little one of my favourtie sounds (and it would always put me to
sleep) was the sound of the vacumn cleaner.

that kind of sucks...
*groan*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM