ahgu

Default how to get smooth surface

I am painting a Aluminum surface with a brush and roller,
With a brush, I get little lines from brush, with the roller, it is
better,but
it is still not smooth as I expected. Is there other tools that make it
the paint smoother? Or should I put thinner in the paint to make it
more liquid?

thanks
Andrew

ahgu

you mean the can? paint inside the can?
I cannot find the color I find inside the can.

Should I use water based latex paint. or oil based paint?
Oil seems smoother.

ahgu

when people paint the table top? I don't think they spray.

Jeff P.

It might help if you explain exactly what you're painting. I know you said
"table top" but go a bit further and explain in depth.

--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The
crew are believed to be marooned."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"ahgu" wrote in message
ups.com...
when people paint the table top? I don't think they spray.

Roger Shoaf

"ahgu" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am painting a Aluminum surface with a brush and roller,
With a brush, I get little lines from brush, with the roller, it is
better,but
it is still not smooth as I expected. Is there other tools that make it
the paint smoother? Or should I put thinner in the paint to make it
more liquid?

thanks
Andrew

There is a paint additive for oil based paints called Penetrol. Should be
available at the paint store. that should go a long way to level out the
brush marks. Also use a good Purdy brush with natural bristle. You might
also try the paint pads.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

WaltC

It may be your technique more than your paint.

Try thinning the paint just a bit more so that if flows smoothly after
its on the surface.

Be sure you put enough paint on the surface so that it can flow.

After you have put the paint on, lightly brush the surface at 90
degrees to the direction you applied the paint. Called "tipping off"

The only way to get a purely flat surface is with a spray gun,
electrostatic spray, and lots of other equipment.

BTW, I've gotten fairly good results with spray paint out of a can, if
you can find the color you like. The good (not the cheapo) paints seem
to go on smoothly, and flatten out as they dry. Practice spraying
first, there is an art to it.

Walt C

leonard

I am talking about a one time use sprayer. small glass jar with a aerosol
sprayhead attached you can put any color you want in it. it will spray all
paints with thinning. you can buy them in auto paint supply stores. the
people in the stores will sell small amounts of car paint to you too.

Len
"ahgu" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am painting a Aluminum surface with a brush and roller,
With a brush, I get little lines from brush, with the roller, it is
better,but
it is still not smooth as I expected. Is there other tools that make it
the paint smoother? Or should I put thinner in the paint to make it
more liquid?

thanks
Andrew

ahgu

these glass jar with a air can on top is really bad, I tried and the
paint it spray out has big spots, instead of find mist. I guess the $4
will not match the pro spray gun. It
says on the label it is good for your kids bike. Guess not for quality
stuff.

-Andrew