AAvK

Default Shopsmith or Woodsmith mag?

Anyone know which one I should buy for a subscription, me being a beginner?
Does either magazine tend in any specific direction as to designs, such as jigs,
tools and furniture? What are the differences?

--
Alex
cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment

Lobby Dosser

"AAvK" wrote:

Anyone know which one I should buy for a subscription, me being a
beginner? Does either magazine tend in any specific direction as to
designs, such as jigs, tools and furniture? What are the differences?

Do you mean ShopNotes?

Shopnotes is almost exclusively jigs and tools and other stuff for the
shop.

Woodsmith is mainly projects with a 'shop' project now and then.

I subscribed to Shopnotes for a while. I think they tend to overbuild
everything. Frankly I don't really care if the compressor cart or
crosscut sled falls apart the day I go up the chimney, but YMMV.

I buy an issue of Woodsmith now and then for a particular plan.

If you have a decent library nearby, why not just go there and read them
all. My local library gets both plus FWW, WWJ, and a couple others. Older
issues can be checked out. One thing I notice is that things repeat quite
a bit, both in the same magazine and across magazines. There must be
about 50 articles in the past 4-5 years on 'The ULTIMATE Router Table'.
If you read the mags at the library, you're not paying over and over for
the repeats.
AAvK

[...]

YES "Shopnotes" DDUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHRRRRRR thanks LD!

That is the common sense I needed. Library in my town is rinky-dink
so I'll head to the other town, they got a real big one. Also a nice fat
Border's there too. I guess they have to the maf afloat somehow but
I guess it's better not to subscribe. Thanks again.

--
Alex
cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment
http://www.e-sword.net/

Charlie Self

AAvK asks:

Anyone know which one I should buy for a subscription, me being a beginner?
Does either magazine tend in any specific direction as to designs, such as
jigs,
tools and furniture? What are the differences?

ShopNOTES offers shop notes, techniques, jigs, projects that enhance the
general shop experience.

Woodsmith offers highly detailed furniture and other projects. The plans are
usually very easy to follow, and all necessary techniques are covered in a
single issue, which usually contains two or three projects, two small, one
larger theme project, and, often, a jig project to help with one of the main
projects.

Charlie Self
"A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to
the ground." H. L. Mencken
Ray

"AAvK" wrote in message

Anyone know which one I should buy for a subscription, me being a
beginner?

I like Wood magazine. It has jigs and plans in almost every issue. It
seems to be geard toward beginners to intermediate.

Next time the bill comes for American Woodworker and Woodworker's Journal
they are going in the trash. The projects in these two are pretty high end
and 70% of the mags are ads. I can get catalogs free.

Duane Bozarth

AAvK wrote:

Anyone know which one I should buy for a subscription, me being a beginner?
Does either magazine tend in any specific direction as to designs, such as jigs,
tools and furniture? What are the differences?

A few others have noted on the differences...I'll just add that even as
a beginner, I'd recommend (since I see the library solution was posted)
you also at least browse FWW as well---while it may show things above
your present skill level, it will balance the often simplistic
techniques of Woodsmith and possibly you'll subsequently see a way to
improve the construction of their plans w/o too much additional
effort...

For just one example, I just received the "new, special issue" of
Woodsmith unsolicited yesterday in the mail--the tool chest on the front
cover is attractive but the fake through tenons holding the sides are
really pretty tacky...and it wouldn't take much extra effort at all to
actually turn them into a real through tenon.

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc....
AAvK

I agree that so many magazines go on and on about the same topics. But!
When it's time for me to get down and built that router table, I will
have seen/studied a dozen designs, each with features that are
'must-haves' and then some additional features from this magazine and
that.... but that doesn't mean I feel the need to buy any and all
magazines. That's what libraries are for.

That's how I cook. I search 'chili-powder'. Then I print out a half
dozen recipies and tick off the ingredients they all seem to have in
common. Then I look at the differences and apply them as they appeal to
me. This approach really works for me.

That's exactly a good idea! I like to cook basic foods.

Oh..and Alex..OFF TOPIC..... I visited the e-sword site and I was
wondering why there is no macintosh version of that Bible.
Is it because Mac users are a hopeless bunch or they don't need it as
much because they don't curse as often as PC users?
(Keep your shirts on, folks..this is in jest... just a gentle tease.*G*)

I have always thought Rick should port e-sword over to mac. My
mother uses mac, seems to be not as functional as windows. I cuss
sometimes.

0¿0

Rob

Lobby Dosser

Duane Bozarth wrote:

For just one example, I just received the "new, special issue" of
Woodsmith unsolicited yesterday in the mail--the tool chest on the front
cover is attractive but the fake through tenons holding the sides are
really pretty tacky...and it wouldn't take much extra effort at all to
actually turn them into a real through tenon.

FAKE through tenons?! What's a fake through tenon?
Mark Jerde

Lobby Dosser wrote:
Duane Bozarth wrote:

For just one example, I just received the "new, special issue" of
Woodsmith unsolicited yesterday in the mail--the tool chest on the
front cover is attractive but the fake through tenons holding the
sides are really pretty tacky...and it wouldn't take much extra
effort at all to actually turn them into a real through tenon.

FAKE through tenons?! What's a fake through tenon?

Inlay and a butt joint? g

-- Mark

Duane Bozarth

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

... but the fake through tenons holding the sides are
really pretty tacky...and it wouldn't take much extra effort at all to
actually turn them into a real through tenon.

FAKE through tenons?! What's a fake through tenon?

In this case, they used a #8 wood screw through the side into the shelf
and covered it w/ an end-grain rectangular plug to fake the end of the
tenon...

A real waste of effort for an overall nice-looking cabinet made from a
sizable amount of quarter- and rift-sawn oak...
Duane Bozarth

Mark Jerde wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
Duane Bozarth wrote:

For just one example, I just received the "new, special issue" of
Woodsmith unsolicited yesterday in the mail--the tool chest on the
front cover is attractive but the fake through tenons holding the
sides are really pretty tacky...and it wouldn't take much extra
effort at all to actually turn them into a real through tenon.

FAKE through tenons?! What's a fake through tenon?

Inlay and a butt joint? g

Close...

In this case a dado w/ a wood screw through it and the plug to cover the
screw head...

Wouldn't be so bad except it was, overall as I say, a fairly nice
looking piece built w/ a sizable amount of quarter- and rift-sawn oak.
Seemed to me like a real waste for such a significant amount of effort
overall and a fairly pricey amount of material when the only difference
would be to make the shallow mortise required for the plug a through
mortice (he had them build a jig and use a row-tah to cut it anyway)
and the need to make the shelf sections holding the tenon long enough to
go through...

Anyway, IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc...
Phisherman

For magazines try ShopNotes and Fine Woodworking. Taunton Press books
are probably are better value for your money. The Complete
Illustrated Guide to Woodworking, volumes 1 and 2 (6 books in all) is
an excellent start. Excellent writing, editing, photos, and how-to
guides without any advertisement. Magazines can have good tool
comparison studies and new tools, if that's what you need. Check the
library too.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:46:43 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

Anyone know which one I should buy for a subscription, me being a beginner?
Does either magazine tend in any specific direction as to designs, such as jigs,
tools and furniture? What are the differences?

C & S

I like Wood magazine. It has jigs and plans in almost every issue. It
seems to be geard toward beginners to intermediate.

I tend to agree. I subscribed to Wood for quite a while. I think, for a
beginner, it offers an appropriate mix of techniques product reviews and
projects. It's pretty cheap too IIRC (something like $1.35/issue
subscription)

Personally, I outgrew it and convinced my dad to give me an advance on my
inheritence and buy me a subscription to FWW. :-)

In short I think Wood is a fine magazine for a newbie for a couple years
until they start recycling content.

-Steve

RKG

AAvK wrote:

Anyone know which one I should buy for a subscription, me being a beginner?
Does either magazine tend in any specific direction as to designs, such as jigs,
tools and furniture? What are the differences?

I subscribe to Wood magazine and being Canadian also Canadian
Woodworking, Check the rest out at the local variety store and if there
is an article I want I buy it. I,ve kept my subscription to Canadian
woodworking for a couple reasons, 1, it is not expensive compared to the
rest $49 for 3 years and 2. the advertisers are nearly all Canadian
which makes it a little easier when hunting for something.

Rick

AAvK

Reminds me of the guy that went to his doctor and told him he
wanted to be casterated.
The doctor was amazed, and asked him if he was serious.
After much discussion the guy finally convinced his doctor that was
what he wanted.
He woke up after the operation, and heard the guy in the bed next
to him talking to his friend. The friend asked, "What were you in
for?", and the guy says "circumcision".
The guy hears that and screams out, "Oh my God, that's the word".

Sorry everyone...when I typed: "I guess they have to the maf afloat somehow but..."
What I meant was: "I guess they have to KEEP* the MAG* afloat somehow but..."
My typos are getting rediculous!

--
Alex
cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment
http://www.e-sword.net/ (free exellent windows bible)

FS -- Woodsmith issues 1 - 42 Herb Robinson Woodworking 0 July 29th 04 03:48 PM
Good price on a shopsmith 10 ER Bill Woodturning 0 April 13th 04 01:17 AM
Shopsmith bandsaw tires, no replacements for 1984 model. Jack Straight Woodworking 4 March 2nd 04 03:51 PM
Shopsmith pricing GRL Woodworking 32 February 29th 04 02:59 PM
Robland X31 and Shopsmith for sale- Northern California Jerry Hall Woodworking 0 November 7th 03 12:55 AM