Kevin

Default Apitong for free?

I might be able to score a free load (maybe 2 loads) of Apitong (1 3/8 x 6"
x 4 - 8 feet) left over from a flat-bed trailer repair. A quick google
leaves me wih mixed feelings. I haven't went over to look at the pile, but
what I can find on the internet says it's hard, heavy and maybe resinous
(which I take to mean full of tar?). Google can find me examples of it
being used for boat building and bird houses and at least one bowl turned
from "Oak Apitong". I'm considering using this for making a whole back yard
full of patio furniture.

I'm thinking this stuff should stay far away from HSS jointer & planer
knives, but do I dare run this through my Woodworkers II blade and CMT
router bits?

I know they use a sealer once it's installed on the trailer, so hopefully it
doesn't have some kind of pressure treatment already applied.

Any advise from real life encounters with this stuff would be great.

Kevin in Bakersfield

Lew Hodgett

Kevin wrote:
I might be able to score a free load (maybe 2 loads) of Apitong (1 3/8 x 6"
x 4 - 8 feet) left over from a flat-bed trailer repair.

snip

Best use of Apitong is for trailer beds, just as you describe.

Not good for much else IMHO.

Lew

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:45:08 GMT, "Kevin" wrote:

[...]

had a client in the boat importing business who had a steady supply
and wanted us to make stuff out of it.

it eats tools. lots of silica, I think.

it's mostly uninteresting looking.

it's heavy, dense, hard and naturally rot resistant.

I made some mallet heads out of it...

John DeBoo

We used to use it for body boards between the frame of a truck and a
mounted box. Takes a hell of a beating but is really hard to cut. Oh,
and I swear to god the slivers have barbs in them like porcupine quills.

Kevin wrote:

[...]

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:44:59 -0700, John DeBoo
wrote:

We used to use it for body boards between the frame of a truck and a
mounted box. Takes a hell of a beating but is really hard to cut. Oh,
and I swear to god the slivers have barbs in them like porcupine quills.

yeah, the slivers.

an apatong sliver *will* get infected. prolly a good reason to not use
it for furniture.