J.B. Bobbitt

Default Help with scraping

I've experimented a bit and I'm sold on scraping over sanding. The trouble
is I've never actually seen it done by an expert, I've only read magazine
articles and threads here, and watched the little videos on the FWW website.
I'm satisfied that I've got the scraper set up well, flattening, drawing
the burr, setting the hook, &tc. At least, it "feels" right and the surface
is way good.

My question is this: how long should a scraper edge/hook last before it
should be re-flattened and re-hooked? (Assuming I'm scraping common native
hardwoods, e.g. cherry, oak, walnut, planed by hand with a smoother, then
scraped a with Sandvik card scrapers). Should an edge last for 1-2 sq ft of
surface? 5 sq ft? 10 sq ft?

Also, is the duration of an edge a function of the quality of the hook, or
the set of the hook (e.g 5 deg vs 15 deg)?

As always, thanks a heap,
-jbb

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:16:42 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"
wrote:

[...]

the edge lasts until it don't cut no more.
you can do several rounds of burnishing before you have to go back to
the stone. first run the burnisher flat on the face of the scraper to
"unhook" the burr, then at an angle to rehook the burr. I usually get
about 3 times of that before I have to go back to the stone.
Keith

Go to this site /page and click on the Video Tip about sharpening a
scraper...Really good!

Keith P.

http://www.taunton.com/woodworking/index.asp