DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Building a longbow or crossbow (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/84342-building-longbow-crossbow.html)

Rileyesi January 4th 05 05:39 PM

Building a longbow or crossbow

I am interested in building a longbow or a crossbow. I did a google search and
got alot of information on buying them, but little on how to make them.

Can anyone recommend some books or sites?

Thanks.

Joe Gorman January 4th 05 07:32 PM

Rileyesi wrote:
I am interested in building a longbow or a crossbow. I did a google search and
got alot of information on buying them, but little on how to make them.

Can anyone recommend some books or sites?

Thanks.

http://www.thecrossbowmansden.com/
http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval...ow-manual.html
http://www.stickbow.com/
http://198.144.2.125/Crossbows/crossbows.htm
Have fun
Joe

Guess who January 4th 05 07:38 PM

On 04 Jan 2005 17:39:47 GMT, (Rileyesi) wrote:

I am interested in building a longbow or a crossbow. I did a google search and
got alot of information on buying them, but little on how to make them.

Can anyone recommend some books or sites?

Google.... Make long bow ...

Jim Polaski January 4th 05 07:56 PM

In article ,
(Rileyesi) wrote:

I am interested in building a longbow or a crossbow. I did a google search
and
got alot of information on buying them, but little on how to make them.

Can anyone recommend some books or sites?

Thanks.

Years ago there was a set of books called "The Boy Mechanic" that was
put out by Popular Mechanics. I remember they had a full description of
making a long bow in one of the four volumes. The set is in reprints, I
think at Lee Valley.

--
Regards,
JP

[email protected] January 4th 05 08:49 PM

Here's a site for bowmaking the old (really old) way:
http://www.wwmag.net/archery.htm

J T January 4th 05 10:53 PM

Tue, Jan 4, 2005, 5:39pm (EST+5) (Rileyesi) claims:
I am interested in building a longbow or a crossbow. snip

First thing you need to do is, make up your mind which you want to
make - they're radically different.

And, yes, you can find instructions for makiing both with google.
Or, check the archives.

Then there's the fact you didn't say what you wanted it for.

JOAT
EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.
- Death

Glenna Rose January 5th 05 08:48 AM

writes:
Here's a site for bowmaking the old (really old) way:
http://www.wwmag.net/archery.htm

Kewl.

In 1985, one of my landscaping clients did some work on my office yard as
a thank-you for the years of work (*and* encouraging them to get their own
computer and bookkeeping system). Among the plants they included were two
small yew trees, planted either side of my sign (very appropriate for the
name on the sign). I moved those plants twice, the second time to the
office I purchased. When I sold it in 2002, the trees were fair sized.
Because my eldest son told me killing a yew tree was bad luck, I didn't
attempt to move them (though we moved nearly all the other plants/trees).
When the buyers cut them to the ground, I was wishing I had the wood. Oh,
well.

The sad thing is they took them to the dump even though one their friends
wanted to try to move them.

It would be a cool thing to make your own bow. Good luck with yours,
Rileyesi, and have fun. :-)

Glenna

Andy Dingley January 5th 05 11:30 PM

On 04 Jan 2005 17:39:47 GMT, (Rileyesi) wrote:

Can anyone recommend some books or sites?

_Really_ get a copy of Ralph Payne-Gallwey's
"The Book of the Crossbow "
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../codesmiths-20
It's a historical survey of crossbows and an excellent read. I've
also used it as source material for a few reproductions (a crossbow,
two mangonels and a few trebuchets)

Bowmaking is hard. I know I can't do it 8-)
(two attempts and counting)
http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/kn..._payne-gallwey

J T January 6th 05 04:41 AM

Wed, Jan 5, 2005, 11:30pm (EST+5)
(Andy=A0Dingley) advises:
snip _Really_ get a copy of Ralph Payne-Gallwey's "The Book of the
Crossbow " snip

No need. There is, or was, a copy on-line, complete I believe. Or
at least all the pertinent parts. I'm fairly sure I posted a link to
it, so it would be in the archives. The only possible glitch might be
that it's in Russian. LMAO

On the other hand, there's on-line translators that will work to
translate.

I've owned my copy (in English) for well over 20 years. Heh heh.

Andy Dingley January 6th 05 11:54 AM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:41:55 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Wed, Jan 5, 2005, 11:30pm (EST+5)

(Andy*Dingley) advises:
Ralph Payne-Gallwey's "The Book of the
Crossbow "

No need. There is, or was, a copy on-line, complete I believe. Or
at least all the pertinent parts.

Hmmm - this is one book where I'd want the paper copy, not the
on-line. The illustrations are more valuable than the text and even
well-done on-line content still doesn't have the sheer usability of a
book.

Besides which, an old copy might be expensive (very expensive for an
original one), but the modern reprint is yet another of those
excellent ones from Dover where they've reprinted a useful old book at
a very reasonable price. I share a lot of books with my friends -
most of "this sort of thing" that we buy will get read by 3 or 4 of
us. But we've all got our own copies of Payne-Gallwey.

One of the mangonels:
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/random/onager.htm
--
Smert' spamionam

J T January 7th 05 01:01 AM

Wed, Jan 5, 2005, 11:30pm (EST+5)
(Andy=A0Dingley) posted:
snip Bowmaking is hard. I know I can't do it =A0 8-) (two attempts and
counting)
http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/kn...ossbow/#book_=
payne-gallwey

Ha, a couple minutes with google turned this up. I haven't
bothered checking for more, maybe later.
http://www.atarn.org/chinese/rept_xbow.htm

J T January 7th 05 01:15 AM

Here you guys go. http://crossbow.hunter.ru/

ROTFLMAO