Todd the wood junkie

Default small gloat + name that wood

Over the holidays I attended a funeral for a distant relative,
afterward another relative gave me 3 different woods taking up space in
his garage (he is a construction superviser).

20 bf cherry in 2.5 x 2 " boards
10 bf ipe (man that stuff is heavy)
+
1 board shown below

http://www.gocleansweep.com/wood/100_1474.JPG

can anyone identify this, I think I know what it is, but would like
confirmation.

Thanks,

Todd

toller

Geeze, if I had relatives like that I might go to their funerals. Oh well.

Hickory?

Jon Endres, PE

depends somewhat on where you are, but my first impression of that board was
black locust. it's hard to tell the color from the photo. if the sapwood
has a distinct yellowish-greenish cast, then maybe. if not, then maybe ash,
although the bark seems too thick. i don't know what mulberry looks like,
but that's supposed to have a yellowish tinge to it as well.

jon e

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Over the holidays I attended a funeral for a distant relative,
afterward another relative gave me 3 different woods taking up space in
his garage (he is a construction superviser).

20 bf cherry in 2.5 x 2 " boards
10 bf ipe (man that stuff is heavy)
+
1 board shown below

http://www.gocleansweep.com/wood/100_1474.JPG

can anyone identify this, I think I know what it is, but would like
confirmation.

Thanks,

Todd

Walnut

I agree that it looks like black walnut or possibly chestnut oak. If
it is
chestnut oak it will have ray flecks, that would not be visible in that
photo.

But my money is on black walnut.

--

FF