George Beshers

Default Providence RI: TS and other wood workers

I am renewing an interest in woodworking and to that end looking to take
a step up from an old craftsman table saw or a table-top saw.

I need to get the saw into the basement w/ 28" doorway...

My first projects are to be bookshelves and kitchen cabinets, but I have
a couple of fine furniture projects in mind for the future.

Also, are their other people on this group from the Eastern CT to Cape
Cod area?

Upscale

"George Beshers" wrote in message
news:LneCd.13198 I need to get the saw into the basement w/ 28"
doorway...

Is that a question, you've got a saw that won't fit through the doorway?

Not knowing the layout of your domicile, all I can suggest is to remove
enough parts so that it fits. Usually removing the top from the base will
work.

Mike in Mystic

I'm in Mystic, CT.

As for the table saw dilemma - you can disassemble many saws (even cabinet
saws) to some more reasonable pieces, but I'm not sure if the cabinet on my
Unisaw would fit through a 28" space. Taking off the tables and motor
wouldn't thrill me too much either, but if that's the only option you have,
I guess it will be worth it. Your best bet is probably a high-end
belt-driven contractor's saw in the 2HP range.

Mike

I am renewing an interest in woodworking and to that end looking to take
a step up from an old craftsman table saw or a table-top saw.

I need to get the saw into the basement w/ 28" doorway...

My first projects are to be bookshelves and kitchen cabinets, but I have
a couple of fine furniture projects in mind for the future.

Also, are their other people on this group from the Eastern CT to Cape
Cod area?

George Beshers

Upscale wrote:
"George Beshers" wrote in message
news:LneCd.13198 I need to get the saw into the basement w/ 28"
doorway...

Is that a question, you've got a saw that won't fit through the doorway?

Just my overly terse way of saying that a large cabinet saw is probably
not what I am looking for, but if the base wasn't much bigger than say
26x30 I would be interested.

Not knowing the layout of your domicile, all I can suggest is to remove
enough parts so that it fits. Usually removing the top from the base will
work.

Agreed.

PS. I forgot to say to remove the _nospam(s) to reply directly.
Edwin Pawlowski

"George Beshers" wrote in message

I am renewing an interest in woodworking and to that end looking to take
a step up from an old craftsman table saw or a table-top saw.

I need to get the saw into the basement w/ 28" doorway...

My first projects are to be bookshelves and kitchen cabinets, but I have
a couple of fine furniture projects in mind for the future.

Also, are their other people on this group from the Eastern CT to Cape
Cod area?

I'm in Putnam CT.

You should be able to fit a contractor saw through the door. Mine came in
a couple of cartons, but none of the components are all that large. With
legs off it, I don't think it is more that 20" or so.

If, however, your questions is that you need help in getting it down the
stairs, I'd be happy to help but I live in South Dakota that week.
Ed

Joe C.

George,

A 28" doorway is pretty narrow. You're also going to have to concern
yourself with getting your projects back through that opening. Your table
saw dilemma may well wind up being the least of your worries, especially
building kitchen cabinets.

Regards,

Joe

"George Beshers" wrote in message

I am renewing an interest in woodworking and to that end looking to take
a step up from an old craftsman table saw or a table-top saw.

I need to get the saw into the basement w/ 28" doorway...

My first projects are to be bookshelves and kitchen cabinets, but I have
a couple of fine furniture projects in mind for the future.

Also, are their other people on this group from the Eastern CT to Cape
Cod area?

George Beshers

I have sons home from college to help---paying tuition does leave
one with certain advantages ;-).

Where do you go for wood?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

George Beshers

Yes, my wife has pointed out the same thing. Particularly for
the kitchen cabinets final assembly will have to be on-site.

However, I am planning to look into carving and inlay projects
after the kitchen is done and they should all fit.

Where are your interests?

Joe C. wrote:
George,

A 28" doorway is pretty narrow. You're also going to have to concern
yourself with getting your projects back through that opening. Your table
saw dilemma may well wind up being the least of your worries, especially
building kitchen cabinets.

Regards,

Joe

"George Beshers" wrote in message

I am renewing an interest in woodworking and to that end looking to take
a step up from an old craftsman table saw or a table-top saw.

I need to get the saw into the basement w/ 28" doorway...

My first projects are to be bookshelves and kitchen cabinets, but I have
a couple of fine furniture projects in mind for the future.

Also, are their other people on this group from the Eastern CT to Cape
Cod area?

Edwin Pawlowski

I have sons home from college to help---paying tuition does leave
one with certain advantages ;-).

Where do you go for wood?

I get most of my wood from Connecticut Wood Group in Enfield, CT. Maybe 25%
from Harris Enterprises in Manchester CT. I've never been there, but Downes
and Reader in Stoughton MA is supposed to be OK. Woodcraft is OK if you
only need a small amount as you can buy a part of a board. I did that when
I wanted some Jatoba for trim.

Most of my tools come from Coastal Tools in W. Hartford CT. They also
sell over the internet and have good prices.

Bill Nalen

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
I get most of my wood from Connecticut Wood Group in Enfield, CT. Maybe 25%
from Harris Enterprises in Manchester CT. I've never been there, but Downes
and Reader in Stoughton MA is supposed to be OK. Woodcraft is OK if you
only need a small amount as you can buy a part of a board. I did that when
I wanted some Jatoba for trim.

I go to Downes and Reader and I think they are pretty good. They have a
big selection of hardwoods, but all is kiln dried. Their hours aren't so
good for the hobbiest since I think they cater to professional shops.

Bill

Terry Sumner

..
I'm in Putnam CT.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Didn't realize you were only a short hop up the road from me. I'm in
Griswold, right off exit 86!

Terry Sumner
Edwin Pawlowski

"Terry Sumner" wrote in message
.
I'm in Putnam CT.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Didn't realize you were only a short hop up the road from me. I'm in
Griswold, right off exit 86!

Terry Sumner

I pass you if I have to go to Home Depot at Lisbon Landing. I'm a mile off
of exit 95. Stop in sometime if you are in the area.

Terry Sumner

O.
I pass you if I have to go to Home Depot at Lisbon Landing. I'm a mile off
of exit 95. Stop in sometime if you are in the area.

Will do. Been out sick all this week with a touch of pneumonia. Feel
like crap right now. Am on antibiotics, but they don't seem to be
doing much good so far. Ugh, ...hate feeling like this.

I got a gift card for HD ay Christmas...still gotta go and use it. I
think I might pick up a couple of those Jorgenson clamps that are
similar to the Bessey K's. (seeing's how they don't carry the Besseys
anymore....) Not too much else there that I need or want.

Did you ever go to Woodworkers Warehouse in Norwich when it was still
there? If so, I might've met you there as I worked there until it
closed.

Terry