Default Shop construction help

I am planning to build a 22' X 24' garage to be used as a workshop. I
prefer not to have any posts or uprights obstructing the work area.
My problem is trying to dimension a center beam that would span 22'
and support the ceiling joists as well as the roof. Snow is a factor
as I live in Montreal. I looked at charts to calculate the required
size but I am not an engineer and can't figure it out. Is the Beam
idea old hat and perhaps I should look at a truss roof ?

If I went for a truss roof I am looking at a 24' span with 8' from
ceiling to peak. I would also like to incorporate a storage space 8'
wide X 4' high from front to back (22').

Any suggetsions would be appriciated. As I only visit this group on
occasion areply by e-mail is prefered.

Thank you for your time
Stephen M

BTDT.

Both actually. I have a beam supporting the second-floor shop, above which
I have trusses.

Yes, you want a truss roof.

My local lumber yard was able to order trusses for me. The truss company
provided me with the load specifications of the truss. This was the *one*
thing that my local code enforcer specifically picky about. He was
satisfied with the spec sheet provided by the truss company. No *other*
architect required. Your local code may differ.

I think all I told them was the type of truss, roof pitch, span and
overhang. They figured out the rest.

FWIW my trusses were built and shipped directly from Quebec. The driver
spoke about 6 words of english.
I'm about an hour south of you.

See your local lumber yard (not Reno Depot).

-Steve

wrote in message
I am planning to build a 22' X 24' garage to be used as a workshop. I
prefer not to have any posts or uprights obstructing the work area.
My problem is trying to dimension a center beam that would span 22'
and support the ceiling joists as well as the roof. Snow is a factor
as I live in Montreal. I looked at charts to calculate the required
size but I am not an engineer and can't figure it out. Is the Beam
idea old hat and perhaps I should look at a truss roof ?

If I went for a truss roof I am looking at a 24' span with 8' from
ceiling to peak. I would also like to incorporate a storage space 8'
wide X 4' high from front to back (22').

Any suggetsions would be appriciated. As I only visit this group on
occasion areply by e-mail is prefered.

Thank you for your time

Stephen M

"Keith" wrote in message
I think that what you want is a "scissors truss". If I've got my
terminology correct, they can span the distance, yet provide plenty of
interior ceiling height.

Yes, scissor truss does profide plenty of interior height. What it does not
provide is a storage space (enclosed box above the ceiling) which is what I
believe the OP is after.

Steve

Creekbuster

I had some truss built for my 20x20 work shop and they offered a few designs
that allowed for me to have some space the same as you are looking for. They
were custom built me and only took a few weeks to build and arrive. The cost was
not that much for 9 truss and two gable ends.
They come with a signed engineering design sheet which is all the building
inspector wants. Myself and a friend put them up but it was marginal. I would
get at least three people or a crane to hang the size you are wanting. You can
walk them in upside down and place them in position and then stand them up with
a long pole. My rise was only 5 feet because of the low snow we get in N.C.

wrote:

I am planning to build a 22' X 24' garage to be used as a workshop. I
prefer not to have any posts or uprights obstructing the work area.
My problem is trying to dimension a center beam that would span 22'
and support the ceiling joists as well as the roof. Snow is a factor
as I live in Montreal. I looked at charts to calculate the required
size but I am not an engineer and can't figure it out. Is the Beam
idea old hat and perhaps I should look at a truss roof ?

If I went for a truss roof I am looking at a 24' span with 8' from
ceiling to peak. I would also like to incorporate a storage space 8'
wide X 4' high from front to back (22').

Any suggetsions would be appriciated. As I only visit this group on
occasion areply by e-mail is prefered.

Thank you for your time

WaltC

As others have said, use trusses. Talk to your local truss seller or
builder. They can custom design what they don't have as stock design,
and you can get your support free span and your storage space too.
Walt C

Greg L. Kimnach

"t" =3D=3D "claimed thusly:

t I am planning to build a 22' X 24' garage to be used as a workshop. I
t prefer not to have any posts or uprights obstructing the work area.
t My problem is trying to dimension a center beam that would span 22'
t and support the ceiling joists as well as the roof. Snow is a factor
t as I live in Montreal. I looked at charts to calculate the required
t size but I am not an engineer and can't figure it out. Is the Beam
t idea old hat and perhaps I should look at a truss roof ?
t=20
t If I went for a truss roof I am looking at a 24' span with 8' from
t ceiling to peak. I would also like to incorporate a storage space 8'
t wide X 4' high from front to back (22').
t=20
t Any suggetsions would be appriciated. As I only visit this group on
t occasion areply by e-mail is prefered.
t=20
t Thank you for your time

my pole-building, a 24'x24' footprint, was just completed. it has
engineered i-beam joists ("clearspan") and the attic is completely
floored with 3/4" plywood. i had considered an attic truss,
however, the extra space afforded by the clearspan joists was
worth the incremental cost.

a couple of things to consider are placing electrical and dust
collection under the slab. i have just completed trenching for dc
and electrical, since i know exactly where my ts, shaper, and dust
collector will be located. now, i hope the weather holds out and
and my concrete gets poured.....

regards,
greg (non-hyphenated american)
--=20

Multiculturalism is a euphemism for national division

http://users.adelphia.net/~kimnach http://www.grc.nasa.gov

I opted for Betamax, the world for VHS;=20
I for Amiga, the world IBM clones.

Esk=FCsz=FCnk, Esk=FCsz=FCnk, hogy rabok tov=E1bb nem lesz=FCnk!

dondone

I am just completing my 28'x46' (w/10' ceiling) shop. Purchased attic
trusses to span the 28' width. I specified 2x6s for constructing the
trusses so that the exposed overhanging rafters (2' overhang) matched my
house. The two end trusses were spec'ed by the truss company to be gable
ends (with ventilators provided) that made sheathing easy. Cost was about
$100 per truss. I had about 5 relatives (including a strong son-in-law and
2 strong grandsons) help the day we put them up. Had them in place in about
an hour. Put each in place sequentially working from one end to the other.
Each was put in up-side-down and then rotated in place using a rope from up
on top and one strong person pushing with a push stick from underneath.
Used pre-made/purchased metal spacers (three between each pair of adjacent
trusses) which made spacing/placement very simple and fast. Worked well
for me; it beats cutting and placing rafters in place. Or steel beams.

Construction Loan Terri Home Ownership 2 November 1st 04 06:13 PM
Refuge - Thoughts On Being In The Shop This Evening Tom Watson Woodworking 11 June 6th 04 03:42 AM
Time for a dedicated shop -linux_lad Woodworking 5 September 5th 03 01:11 AM